Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 pm

I'm wondering if they are removing aging again. So far, I haven't really seen any different age portraits for any characters. Would be a shame.

I also kinda dislike the removal of some cities. XIII had several redundant ones, but I think they could've kept Henei, Qiao and Julu at least. Zhang Yang being in Jinyang again bothers me a bit. At least they kept the far south in.
User avatar
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:14 am
Location: Germany

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:11 am

I checked the image and yeah, that's Ma Teng. (Why did he get a Ma Chao hat?)

I looked at the website briefly and saw some interesting stuff. Still no idea if I will get this before other board members have tried it and say it's decent, still burned over 13. But maybe there is hope yet.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
User avatar
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 3435
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 1:17 pm
Location: South Korea

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I checked the image and yeah, that's Ma Teng. (Why did he get a Ma Chao hat?)

I looked at the website briefly and saw some interesting stuff. Still no idea if I will get this before other board members have tried it and say it's decent, still burned over 13. But maybe there is hope yet.

Unless reviews are awful I plan to pick it up on release, and of course I'll post my thoughts here on the forum.

The comments I found for the demo seemed pretty positive so that's promising.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:31 pm

The demo had constant trumpet music playing which made me want to end it all... so I didn't really play much of the game myself. I was just happy to finally see a Three Kingdoms game that includes Pingzhou again.
"Looking at Zhong Hui is like viewing an armory, one sees only spears and lances"
— Pei Kai
Check out this list of historical resources I have.
Check out this list of cited biographies I have written.
User avatar
DaoLunOfShiji
Changshi
 
Posts: 386
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:26 pm
Location: "A genius like Cao Zhi, as martial as Cao Cao."

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:47 am

gonna wait till the PC version released then, i like PS4 version, but i like the feature where i can add more custom portrait character like RoTK 13 more 8-)
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
User avatar
Li_Shengsun
Student
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:35 am

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:11 am

I came across this little Q&A from the developmental team I thought was interesting
https://www.gamecity.com.tw/sangokushi14/creator.html

The director mentions that this time around things won't be quite as easy for Sun Ce to dominate Jiangdong. Probably not a bad idea from a gameplay perspective, just curious how they'll go about this.

It's encouraging that they seem to really value feedback and suggestions for future updates.
“Vision without action is a daydream, action without vision is a nightmare”
-Japanese proverb
User avatar
Sakae Wu
Master
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:05 pm
Location: Fukuoka ⇄ San Francisco

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:04 am

Thanks for sharing. The English site's only translated the first creator file so far.

For Sun Ce, possibly Liu Yao and the other southern warlords will be more powerful than in previous games so it won't be as easy to roll over them? Or Sun Ce will start with very limited resources.
Edit: New dev diary with English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QQFi1s6gc4

Official site has also updated with new information on the game system and the rest of the Creator Files.
*One feature is a new "Campaign" command that allows you to order large scale invasions of entire provinces from multiple bases; this lets you deploy large armies with only a single order (which seems to be a resource like AP in XI).
*Duels are confirmed to be automatic like in IX. Some traits make characters more likely to fight duels and make them better at them.
*Increasing your force's title (now called "Royal Rank") seems to give you new commands and not just allow you to give officers higher ranks (Though that's still in as well). However, the Yellow Turbans apparently have a rank system as well this time:
*The Search system seems to be pretty much as normal, although there are character traits that make certain officers better at it.
Edit: The Japanese site had a larger update, including information on diplomacy and plots not on the English one:
It seems you can use allied territory for supply line and asking allies to attack someone for you is in, but it mostly looks like the standard options.
There seem to be plots to get territory to switch sides but the translation isn't super clear for this part, unfortunately, though it seems you can convince areas not controlled by any warlord to join you with it. The others seem to be standard plots (lower loyalty, worsen relations, defect, lower order, that type).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Lorric » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm

I can't imagine there being any real challenge for Sun Ce, as surely they'll still want the AI to take over that area. A more effective AI though would allow them to strengthen his opponents. In Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence, the AI is very good at quickly and efficiently swallowing up weaker forces. It took a few years for him to take over that area, so that gives room for a strong AI to have to spend a while grinding them down. Which could then mean a challenge for the player not from those particular enemies, but in needing to get the job done in good time or get put at a disadvantage by the rate of expansion of your rivals up North. That's what I love about NASoI. You end up in a race with the big boys, you have to conquer quickly and efficiently, because it matters if you're at a disadvantage, the AI can hurt you, it can roll right over you. There's never that kind of pressure in ROTK.

One thing they could do is just make them actually function as an alliance. In XI, Wang Lang will inevitably turn on and destroy the White Tiger, then turn on Liu Yong.
Lorric
Apprentice
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:45 pm

Lorric wrote:I can't imagine there being any real challenge for Sun Ce, as surely they'll still want the AI to take over that area. A more effective AI though would allow them to strengthen his opponents. In Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence, the AI is very good at quickly and efficiently swallowing up weaker forces. It took a few years for him to take over that area, so that gives room for a strong AI to have to spend a while grinding them down. Which could then mean a challenge for the player not from those particular enemies, but in needing to get the job done in good time or get put at a disadvantage by the rate of expansion of your rivals up North. That's what I love about NASoI. You end up in a race with the big boys, you have to conquer quickly and efficiently, because it matters if you're at a disadvantage, the AI can hurt you, it can roll right over you. There's never that kind of pressure in ROTK.

One thing they could do is just make them actually function as an alliance. In XI, Wang Lang will inevitably turn on and destroy the White Tiger, then turn on Liu Yong.

They've talked a lot about wanting to have a good AI for this game, and mentioning improving it with later patches. Hopefully it can at least as good as SOI (the Oda can actually be very tricky in that game since Nobunaga has such an overpowered Trait and so many amazing officers).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou
 
Posts: 2225
Joined: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:02 am

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby Lorric » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:46 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Lorric wrote:I can't imagine there being any real challenge for Sun Ce, as surely they'll still want the AI to take over that area. A more effective AI though would allow them to strengthen his opponents. In Nobunaga's Ambition Sphere of Influence, the AI is very good at quickly and efficiently swallowing up weaker forces. It took a few years for him to take over that area, so that gives room for a strong AI to have to spend a while grinding them down. Which could then mean a challenge for the player not from those particular enemies, but in needing to get the job done in good time or get put at a disadvantage by the rate of expansion of your rivals up North. That's what I love about NASoI. You end up in a race with the big boys, you have to conquer quickly and efficiently, because it matters if you're at a disadvantage, the AI can hurt you, it can roll right over you. There's never that kind of pressure in ROTK.

One thing they could do is just make them actually function as an alliance. In XI, Wang Lang will inevitably turn on and destroy the White Tiger, then turn on Liu Yong.

They've talked a lot about wanting to have a good AI for this game, and mentioning improving it with later patches. Hopefully it can at least as good as SOI (the Oda can actually be very tricky in that game since Nobunaga has such an overpowered Trait and so many amazing officers).

I have a Ryuzoji 1960 campaign on the go where I've nearly won. Only recently stopped playing. It's just the boredom of going through the motions to get to 30 castles that's stopping me finishing the job but I'm nearly there. I allied with the Mori in the early game, and rather than destroy my ally after I took Kyushu, I went around them, through Shikoku, wrapping right around them, cutting them off from taking any more land of their own, and went head to head with the Oda and their allies. It took me years of warring with them over several days before I even took one location from them. But I gradually wore them down and pushed them all back. It was one of my most enjoyable campaigns yet.
Lorric
Apprentice
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Copyright © 2002–2008 Kongming’s Archives. All Rights Reserved

 
cron