Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14 Announced

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:25 am

Gray Riders wrote:https://gematsu.com/2019/08/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xiv-coming-west-in-early-2020
*Confirms the game is based off IX and XI specifically.
*Sounds like they're intending for a good quality AI this time.

I hope more 9 then 11 as 9 is my favorite one in the series. I loved building forts and camps around the map and assigning my crappy officers there to counter the occasional bandit. Plus the tribes at the corners of the maps drove me crazy but I loved how I needed to placate them until I was strong enough to bum rush them one at a time.
I hated 11s system where I had to build facilities, yeah it helped to make the larger cities more valuable but it also took forever to upgrade cities when I was expanding as I was too OCD to just let a new city sit there undeveloped.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:24 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I hope more 9 then 11 as 9 is my favorite one in the series. I loved building forts and camps around the map and assigning my crappy officers there to counter the occasional bandit. Plus the tribes at the corners of the maps drove me crazy but I loved how I needed to placate them until I was strong enough to bum rush them one at a time.
I hated 11s system where I had to build facilities, yeah it helped to make the larger cities more valuable but it also took forever to upgrade cities when I was expanding as I was too OCD to just let a new city sit there undeveloped.

Yeah, going after the tribes when they had 300-500k troops was pretty brutal. Bum rushing with a bunch of ram units and mallet formations to protect them after coaxing them to attack someone elses city seemed the way to go. But even then it was a massive battle.
I still think XI was the peak in the series thus far, but I can understand where you're coming from. I've probably had the most fun with X personally.

In 14, I think any improvement on AI would be a step in the right direction. That seems to be their most glaring problem throughout the series. More diplomacy options would be nice too.

Teaser, but doesn't show much> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaVjn2fRipU

A cool little Taiwanese vid showing all the games> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=849OSoaPuBo
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby Lorric » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:24 pm

Gray Riders wrote:https://gematsu.com/2019/08/romance-of-the-three-kingdoms-xiv-coming-west-in-early-2020
*Confirms the game is based off IX and XI specifically.
*Sounds like they're intending for a good quality AI this time.

Fantastic. Absolutely 100% what I want.
Lorric
Tyro

Unread postby Rastafarian » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:21 am

Rastafarian
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:06 pm

Seeing the screenshots, and recalling the screenshots for XIII having a similar feel, I don't exactly have my hopes up for this yet. Would love to be proven wrong but 12 and 13 stank and until they stop trying to take their strategy games in that direction, I can't see that changing.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:59 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Seeing the screenshots, and recalling the screenshots for XIII having a similar feel, I don't exactly have my hopes up for this yet. Would love to be proven wrong but 12 and 13 stank and until they stop trying to take their strategy games in that direction, I can't see that changing.

The map is hex-based for a reason, that wasn't the case in 13 (maybe 12, don't know, didn't play it). This looks like 11, which was turn-based and let you move your units individually across the map. Real-time combat and hexes don't really mesh together at all.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 am

I am eager to learn more details, more officers is great, having unique traits and uses is wonderful, I am curious about the concept about seizing lands outside the cities and being able to starve out locations. Perhaps like 11 you build facilities outside the town and those facilities can be captured rather then destroyed like in 11.

I hope they bring back the ability to build camps and fortresses that you can put officers into like we had in 9, I disliked how in 11 camps were just road blocks and buff zones for your troops. I loved creating choke points with camps, outposts, and fortresses that I could station armies in. I would put in some crappy officers whose job it was to slow down enemy armies until my good officers (who were usually working in cities) could be transferred over or could bring in reinforcements from the cities.

As it seems like Koei has no intention of translating the RTK games on steam, I hope this game can bring back the things I loved in 9.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:40 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:The map is hex-based for a reason, that wasn't the case in 13 (maybe 12, don't know, didn't play it). This looks like 11, which was turn-based and let you move your units individually across the map. Real-time combat and hexes don't really mesh together at all.

Screenshot 3 on steam shows it's very likely real time. There's signs of movement between multiple units at once and a countdown bar like the ones used in recent NA games that use a turn-based phase combined with a real-time phase.
Real time with hexes is a bit weird, but Nobunaga's Ambition: Taishi already combined real time with distinct zone areas.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:23 pm

I would think you are right on the RTS system. Every article I can find, whether it's Asian or western, seem to indicate it's a return to 9 and 11 style gameplay. I would have assumed that to also mean turn based rather than just soverign focused.

Then this article mentions a real time system being used as repeating the actions during the strategic and progress phases. https://gnn.gamer.com.tw/detail.php?sn=183584
Really not sure why they would be so determined to stick with RTS when they had such a good turn based niche.
It sounds like much more details will be released later this month.
"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius
Sakae Wu
Academic

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:29 am

The game seems to have the strategy tnn action phases like 9 had. As much as I love 9 I do admit that the lack of control over the battles was a bit annoying. Watching the computer use tactic after tactic while my officers just stood there wad quite frustrating.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms