An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:And Song Ting (Sakae's officer) has 85 INT. Do you have some more specific numbers on how intensity, Agile Mind, and similar skills work? I'm interested in the detailed mechanics, but don't know where to find them.

open if you dare muhwahahaha
Divine Potency - 100% success with any strategy + critical against lower INT unit; if opponent has same/higher INT it's not guaranteed
Agile Mind - 100% success with any strategy against lower INT unit; if opponent has same/higher INT it's not guaranteed
Intensify - all successful strategies become criticals - I was under the impression it required a lower INT target but it seems not
Cunning - all successful strategies against a lower INT unit become criticals
Covert Plan - all successful strategies against a higher INT unit become criticals (this is almost useless on its own)
Poison Tongue - 100% success using Misinform against a lower INT unit
Trickery - 100% success using Blunder against a lower INT unit
Disconcertion - 100% success using Perturb against a lower INT unit
Augment - adds one square to all strategies' ranges
Chain Reaction - targets a second adjacent unit with the executed strategy upon success on the first target
Focus - all strategies cost 1 Will
Counter Plan - counters failed strategy that targets own unit with same; irrelevant against AI
Critical Ambush - all successful ambushes become criticals (deals extra damage and drains more Will); ambushes are generally not that useful IMO, but one interesting thing about them is that they stack with certain other skills to produce some weird results, such as Augment and Chain Attack

So basically, all you need to do with Liu Ping is target units below her current INT and she will succeed basically 100% of the time. If Sakae's officer is in her unit, it will also critical as long as she succeeds (and they will both gain INT relatively rapidly). Some officers do possess skills (such as Integrity) that make them impervious to particular strategies no matter who executes it - even Zhuge Liang - so just watch out for those.

You can also pair Liu Ping and Song Ting up in different units as you gain more officers, you may find that new unit combinations work more to your liking :)
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Yeah definitely, the story angle makes it fun for us following but harder work for you! My advice is if the writing stops being fun to do in story form then don't do it anymore and just give us regular updates! :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:35 am

Zyzyfer wrote:So basically, all you need to do with Liu Ping is target units below her current INT and she will succeed basically 100% of the time. If Sakae's officer is in her unit, it will also critical as long as she succeeds (and they will both gain INT relatively rapidly). Some officers do possess skills (such as Integrity) that make them impervious to particular strategies no matter who executes it - even Zhuge Liang - so just watch out for those.

You can also pair Liu Ping and Song Ting up in different units as you gain more officers, you may find that new unit combinations work more to your liking :)

I didn't realize that about Intensify either, that's some good info. My character is a bit of an airhead next to yours but I think my LDR will help out the unit's defense. A 3 or 4 turn confusion on an enemy unit is pretty much a death sentence with the other heavy hitters in the force. I'd say we would make a pretty strong team early on, and Ting & Ping has a nice ring to it :)

@Bush Leagues: maybe if it's not too late you can put Liu Ping as a friend of mine. Not much affect in gameplay but gives Song a connection in your clan.
Also, I was going to suggest one thing if your interested. Back when I played Gal Civ we sometimes had a "play by council" where major decisions were voted on. Just the game altering ones, like ally with force A and attack force B. You being the player and sovereign can of course veto and do what you want. I thought it was interesting to see how other people approach the game. Just an idea, if not for this playthrough maybe sometime down the line.
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:32 am

@Zyzyfer

OK, so I knew most of that, but the game is painfully vague about what most of the skills actually do, in hard game mechanics and numbers. "Stronger Cavalry tactics", huh? What does "stronger" mean exactly? Do I crit? Succeed more often? Cause fireworks to go off?

You can figure most of them out after playing around for a while, but even then you don't necessarily have all information. So the "Divine" skills give you crits when using them. Alright, what does a critical mean exactly? I can figure it means more damage/longer duration for status effects, but what are the actual numbers? Is the damage increased by half again? Doubled? I like being able to really dive into mechanics and understand the inner workings, but video games like to hide stuff and make it hard to find. Another reason to love tabletop games of all sorts - they have to spell everything out in the rulebook, so you can get a look at the machinery behind the clock.

Some officers do possess skills (such as Integrity) that make them impervious to particular strategies no matter who executes it - even Zhuge Liang - so just watch out for those.

Yeah, I actually like those skills a lot. Integrity is a Zhao Yun unique skill, I'm fairly sure. Even the weaker ones that only render you immune to a single plot type, I like that they can make otherwise weak officers quite useful in the right circumstances. ROTK 9 had similar skills with stuff like "Dismantle".

maybe if it's not too late you can put Liu Ping as a friend of mine. Not much affect in gameplay but gives Song a connection in your clan.

Yeah I can do that, but others also have no direct connection, so it's not a huge deal. But I'll change it. Incidentally, having you like Liu Ping actually makes it more useful if you're in a different unit, since you become more likely to provide an "assistance" attack when Liu's unit attacks. But if you're in the same unit, that can't happen.

Also, I was going to suggest one thing if your interested. Back when I played Gal Civ we sometimes had a "play by council" where major decisions were voted on. Just the game altering ones, like ally with force A and attack force B. You being the player and sovereign can of course veto and do what you want. I thought it was interesting to see how other people approach the game. Just an idea, if not for this playthrough maybe sometime down the line.

Oh, that is a good idea! Well, we will begin against Liu Zhang since there's no other option right at the start, but after that, I'm open to opening up future actions by having a council. If people wanted, they could even present their arguments for or against certain things in-character: speaking as though they were their character in the game. Then, I could transpose the arguments straight into the story, giving all of you co-author status, and saving myself a bit of writing as well. :lol:

I'll definitely do that as we approach the time for it.

That also reminds me of another mechanic some groups of players use at times, succession games. The idea there is (since you only play a single character at a time in the game, and then become the next character and play as them), one player plays as character A, and when character B succeeds, control is passed off to the new player, and so on, so everyone plays once, and you can build up however you like, but you can't be sure how your successors will do.

One good example of this was on Reddit, where people playing Crusader Kings 2 (guide your dynasty through the middle ages), get together for succession games on occasion. This game was of house D'Isigny, with the family motto: "Maybe things won't be so bad after all.".

The very first character's brief history of his rule reads: Pretty stagnant. Didn't extinguish the d'Isigny family line, which by itself is pretty incredible. :lol:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:34 am

There are a lot of factors that go into damage calculation for unit attacks, so I don't think anyone on here has sat down and worked out what a critical tactic adds to damage in these varied situations. I imagine one way to test is to set up a save state and then change the acting officer's skill/unit using hex and crunching the numbers. But I am not cracking open the hex editing guide to do that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:02 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:Yeah I can do that, but others also have no direct connection, so it's not a huge deal. But I'll change it. Incidentally, having you like Liu Ping actually makes it more useful if you're in a different unit, since you become more likely to provide an "assistance" attack when Liu's unit attacks. But if you're in the same unit, that can't happen.

Yeah, it's not a big deal. I had originally only listed two friends back when there were only three of us signed up. So I thought it would make sense to have a friend in the same force rather than just two Wu guys :)
Also, from my understanding, friends in the same unit receive a small bonus. Now if we were kin or sworn brothers(sisters) then we could assist each other in separate units.
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby SunXia » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for posting my character Bush, I dont always get time for long posts and such. And you took the time to explain a foreign game to me so thanks!! Look forward to see how it goes!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 am

But I am not cracking open the hex editing guide to do that

I don't blame you; I just wish Koei (and others, they're not alone in this) were a bit more forthcoming with information.

Also, from my understanding, friends in the same unit receive a small bonus. Now if we were kin or sworn brothers(sisters) then we could assist each other in separate units.

See, I thought it was the other way around. Friends may get the small bonus in the same unit (not sure on this), but I thought the main benefit was assistance attacks from other units. The "Assistance" skill does this, for instance - make it so you can assist anyone, regardless of bond, as long as you don't dislike them.

Now sworn siblings get some kind of modifier or work with special rules in the same unit. Because if you throw Liu Bei in command of a unit, his attack and defense (before picking equipment, so with swords) is something like 23/25. But when you then throw Guan Yu in there, because they're sworn siblings, the numbers skyrocket to 33/35 or something - the same as if Guan Yu were in command by himself (and he isn't in command when he's with Liu Bei, Liu Bei being the liege). The sub-commander effect isn't strong enough to account for it on its own, because if you throw in Zhao Yun, for instance, the effect isn't nearly as strong.

I can test this when I get home to be sure, but as I recall, this is how it works.

Thanks for posting my character Bush, I dont always get time for long posts and such. And you took the time to explain a foreign game to me so thanks!! Look forward to see how it goes!!

It was fun for me too, so I'm glad you enjoyed. One thing I did was have friends sit down and create their own characters on my save file for ROTK games - it was usually enjoyable enough for them and gets me some new officers to use too, so doing it with you was a lot like that.

I had intended to finish the first part of the prologue last night, but I was actually really tired, so I ended up relaxing instead. But I'll be off work at my normal time (had been working late the last 2 months or so on Sunday), and should finish up tonight.

Since I never officially said it, I'll be clear: Sign-ups for this game are now closed.

Once I'm done with part one, I'll begin a new thread for it, and link to it from here. Thanks to everyone who participated for their time and effort.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:58 am

Couple of technical points...

- If an officer has an officer on another force as a Liked Officer, they can be recruited very easily by the liked officer, so be aware of that.

- Yeah you get both more maximized stats when in the same unit, and a chance to trigger Assistance when commanding different ones. So you have multiple options available there.

=====

I am curious to see how you spin Liu Ping's characterization over the course of the game :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:31 am

Zyzyfer wrote:If an officer has an officer on another force as a Liked Officer, they can be recruited very easily by the liked officer, so be aware of that.

Could mean, if someone is captured and not bailed out with gold quickly enough, we might end up facing off against them! Talk about drama.

Yeah you get both more maximized stats when in the same unit, and a chance to trigger Assistance when commanding different ones. So you have multiple options available there.

OK, that's good know. Thanks.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms