An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:19 am

Sorry to hear about the storms and rainfall, hope you guys get some relief :(

It's not bad enough here to warrant relief like that (at least for most of us - about an hour west of me really did get it bad, I think about 20 inches all told), but it was a lot of rain and ditches have been filled for a few days now. Thanks for your concern though!

Did you settle on a scenario?

Either 194 or Rise of Heroes. I am leaning strongly toward 194, although I suppose everyone should have a say in it. 200 or 190 would also be reasonable.

194 gives good parity, and I like not having everyone stuck in a force right away. 194 also gives better narration for a story - I was imaging something with a prologue chapter (which is what brings us all together), using the events of a few years before as a baseline for it. Of course once the game start, history may divert whichever way. But I think it's more satisfying than "everyone got power in one place all at the same time, and, oh yeah, they also have eleventy billion vassals". The difficulty would also scale nicely with time, I think, which ties into start location, which I'll touch on below; we would start with easier forces, before moving on to the big boys with the monster officers.

But at the same time, Rise of Heroes will likely give greater challenge, which might make for a more interesting endgame. It guarantees legitimate challenge at basically every point in the game, regardless of where we start; the only exception would be if one of the big three never got off the ground and was still weak by the time we arrive in their area. Another problem is if you absorb a glut of officers from another force - say we take out a strong force with many strong officers (like a Dong Zhuo or Yuan Shao), now if you start comparing our people with these new guys, they're going to look significantly better. Of course, I would still focus on our characters and use them for the majority of tasks, but it might be a bit awkward.

As for start location. I was thinking about starting in Yi. There are a few reasons for this. The one that first made me thought of it was the officer (I forget who off the top of my head) we have who ended up with the traverse skill. It's really only useful in the Yi area, so I thought having us there to show off his skill once or twice would be a good thing to do.

But then I thought more about how the game would go in that case. We would be in Yi, and the first obstacle would be Liu Yan/Zhang down there. I thought about his officers - a first-string lineup, but most of them are relatively plain. Which is pretty much what our force is. Our guys are all very capable, but we don't really stick out much. This makes the purple blob a prime first fight. It would be about equal in size and strength (once we expanded to free cities), against officers who are about equal capability to us. This makes the fight compelling, as opposed to just smashing on some small force like a Kong Zhou. Afterwards, we would be established in Yi, the traditional Shu base, with options to expand either north or east, and we would be giving time for Sun Ce/Cao Cao/Lu Bu/Yuan Shao/Ma Teng to all expand their own power and grow bigger themselves, to present us with ever-escalating threats as the game goes on. In this way, I think the game remains interesting throughout, as the stakes and power of our enemies get higher and higher.

If you need more civil officer help, I can adjust my stats and up my Politics if necessary. Hopefully we can get some recruiting done early on to round things out somewhat.

We could, but I was also thinking about putting in a couple of otherwise-useless bureaucrat officers (some guys with about 70 POL and not much use outside of that), just to get things rolling easier. I want everyone to play what they want, and these guys can help out with the more boring (story-wise) domestics while we participate in the more exciting fighting.

It's your call, but you can just give cunning to Zyzyfer's brainiac character and I could use something like focus, augment or Intensify? Maybe something to mix it up. I'm fine with anything though.

OK, OK, I actually went and downloaded the save file with everything (so it claimed) unlocked, so I'll get on that once I get home. Even if that's no good, I can unlock better skills easily enough through a quick trick I found. It won't give the OP skills (you need 30 event stills for those), but it should give a larger enough variety and power level to make sure we are all effective with no overlap.

Stay dry out there!

Fission Mailed (I don't know why I thought of that randomly). My work requires me to be outside, so I got rained on some. Nothing terrible though, I've gone through worse to get the job done before. I'll be all right, so thanks again!
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:15 am

Save state upgrade complete! Now do you understand the might of Bei Shankuo?!

Everything's unlocked now. which means it's time for a bit of updating of skills.

@Sun Fin - you now have "Clear Thought", rendering you immune to both confusion and forced retreat plots.

@Grey Riders - Since you explicitly said Cavalry General, I have kept it so, but Divine Cavalry (the upgraded version of the skill) or Stampede (successful cavalry skills cause confusion) are now both available and are very strong. If you would like to switch, please let me know.

@Sakae Wu - you mentioned the ones to move you to, if they were available, and Intensify is pretty nifty and fairly rare. So granted.

@LiuBeiWasGreat - As long as others are getting an upgrade, let's push up your skill to the improved version of Spear General, Divine Spears.

@Kotosho - None of the good marching skills were available before, but there are a few good ones now. Fleetness lets you ignore enemy Zone-of-Control, which can be a real life-safer (perhaps literally!) in a pinch.

@Zyzyfer - Xiao Qiao uniform GET! Also, Agile Mind is all yours, you old hero of chaos, you.

Looks good? Now we're some real powerhouses.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:36 pm

It's not too late for signups, is it? I have the PS2 version, so some terms may be slightly different in the PC version.

Dragon Atma (or, if you want a chinese name, Long Ren 龍仁)
Male face 75 (I assume Bei Shankuo is just an example; if not, since my next three choices are also in use, I guess male face 01)

Lead 87
War 26
Int 90
Pol 71
Cha 82

Spears A
Pike A
Bow B
Cavalry S
Weapons B
Navy C

Skill: Capture

Temperament: Cool
Voice: Cool
Tone: Courteous
Court: Important
Aspiration: Goodly
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:33 pm

It's not too late for signups, is it? I have the PS2 version, so some terms may be slightly different in the PC version.

Terms should all be generally the same. And no, I'll start in a day or two.

I'll use Long Ren for consistency's sake (everyone else has a Chinese name thus far). Although it might be interesting if it was Dragon Atma, you'd be the one guy with the made up name, like Seal.

Male face 75 (I assume Bei Shankuo is just an example; if not, since my next three choices are also in use, I guess male face 01)

That is actually the worst luck ever. No, Bei Shankuo is the character I intend to use, but I'm not married to the portrait and will cede it to you. I've been using the face for literally years, but that also means I haven't looked through the new ones to see if I would like something better as I got older. It's a new opportunity for me. And I've already decided, so there's no talking me out of it. You're getting 75 and you'll like it! :lol:

Everything else looks good; a second Capture officer means we'll have no shortage of sacrifices for the Great Blot officers to recruit from prison. Thanks for participating!

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm

We've both been using it for years because we both know it's the best face. XD

And yes, Capture should work well. Sure, I could have gone with Divine Cavalry or something, but I'd rather see good officers magically switch from an AI force to our force. ;)

It's been too long since I last played RoTK11; I generally start in the southeast, and block off paths I don't plan to use soon with a wall and a tower or two behind it. That usually works fairly well (IIRC it messes with the AI's pathfinding), and it may work even better in Yi considering there's a lot less naval activity.
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:25 am

A few announcements on this.

Sun Xia has also created a character for this game; we did it on our Discord channel, and I wanted to post it up here for everyone to see.

Sun Xia
Created Female face 36
Liked Officers: Gan Ning, Jiang Qin, Sun Ce, Sun Shang Xiang, Zhou Yu
Disliked: Cai Mao

Leadership: 84
War: 89
Int: 82
Pol: 45
Cha: 50

Aptitudes: B/S/A/C/B/A
Skill: Divine Fire

Character/Voice: Bold
Tone: Normal
Court: Normal
Aspiration: Steadfast

Also, I've finalized my own officer. Considering our battle-heavy lineup, a strong political/domestic officer would be good. This has the added benefit of incentivizing me to let you guys have all the glory in battle, which I don't mind doing at all.

Bei Shankuo
Created Male 21
Likes: Liu Ping (Zyzyfer's character), Cai Yan, Hao Zhao, Kong Rong, Lu Su
Dislikes: Dong Zhuo, Ma Chao, Liu Zhang

42/41/86/87/94
Enlister (always finds officers in search if available)
A/B/A/B/S/C

Character/Voice: Cool
Tone: Humble
Court: Important
Aspiration: Career

I also created two weak domestic officers as well, to help round it out a little more. They'll play minimal part in the story aspect as best. I really want to focus on our own 10 characters, with some guest appearances from choice officers we'll meet as we go through the game. And the reason for liking Zyzyfer's character is primarily to match mechanics to the story - we'll likely recruit someone as smart or even smarter than Liu Ping at some point in the game, but I wanted to a good reason to keep her as the warlord (she's the smartest by enough of a margin to make her the clear best choice). Having Bei Shankuo particularly like her above others is a good way to make it consistent.

Also, I am writing the prologue now. When I finish I will post it in a new thread, title "Scholars Rising", which will be the title for our playthrough. In there, I'll talk a little more about scheduling and posting, and talk about the story aspect. I was thinking I can also record the actual gameplay itself as well, which would probably be fun to watch for some of you.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:41 am

Maybe you already know about this, but one idea with Agile Mind Liu Ping is to pair her with Sakae Wu's officer in a unit, Agile Mind + Intensify is a poor person's Divine Potency in terms of effects. Plus both officers will get pretty good INT gains if they get to fire off some critical strategies - I believe INT will go up by one for every 25 critical successes. Just bear in mind that Intensify also requires higher INT to trigger 100%, I didn't notice if there is a large gap between Liu Ping and Sakae Wu's officer.

I know when I use Liu Ping in my created force, she is constantly spamming strategies in battle so she can eventually hit 100 INT, as she is intended to be my force's strategist so her INT needs to be high. (Not that you are expected to do the same :lol: )
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:49 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Maybe you already know about this, but one idea with Agile Mind Liu Ping is to pair her with Sakae Wu's officer in a unit, Agile Mind + Intensify is a poor person's Divine Potency in terms of effects.

I had an inkling that it worked like this, but information on exact numbers and percentages is hard to come by without diving into the files.

She may well hit 100 INT with us too, I imagine we'll use strategies enough to improve her INT, but min-maxing is not as important here, I think. It may matter more if we run into a large powerful force later, like a Cao Cao that's blobbed enough to be a serious powerhouse.

And Song Ting (Sakae's officer) has 85 INT. Do you have some more specific numbers on how intensity, Agile Mind, and similar skills work? I'm interested in the detailed mechanics, but don't know where to find them.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:58 am

Thanks for organising all of this Bush Leagues, very excited for it to start! :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:00 am

Sun Fin wrote:Thanks for organising all of this Bush Leagues, very excited for it to start! :D

My pleasure, really.

...But writing is hard, too. I can do it fine, but putting out enough to where it feels substantial is the only hard bit. :lol:

I took a few minor liberties with the prologue, just to get everyone together and in interesting ways, but I think everyone will mostly be pleased with it. I certainly hope so. I'll be looking for some input going forward too, so I am interested to see what people think.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms