An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:09 am

Hello fellow scholars!

The other night, I had an idea where we could play a game of Romance of the Three Kingdoms together. Of course, it's hard to actually play together, but I thought one thing we could do that would be fun is to have everyone who was interested on the forums make a custom character for themselves. I could put these characters in the game, and then play a game as a custom force with all of us, and then tell a story about the game, one we could all share in together.

The game will be the 11th game in the series, ROTK 11. I managed to get a copy for my computer and have confirmed that it works well.

Even if you're not that into the games, the creation process is easy, and if you don't want to worry about the details, you can just write out a few lines about what you would like, and I can make someone who could come close to the idea.

Details about Creation
First is a name, though. I used this Chinese name generator for my own custom character, Bei Shankuo. I can either pick a portrait for you, or if you want to choose for yourself, you can pick on KongMing's Archives. Male characters can be found here, and female characters can be found here.

Next are your abilities and aptitudes. I've included a screenshot for you to look at as well. First are your five stats - Leadership, War, Intelligence, Politics, and Charisma. LDR is most useful for keeping your troops alive in battle. WAR lets you deal more damage in battle and duel enemy officers. INT lets you use plots against enemies and protect allies from plots, and makes you better at debates. POL makes you better at domestic tasks and in debates. CHR lets you get along better with others. I made my character with 350 points, which I think is a good number. You can have more or less if you like.

Growth period and ability persistence are not important. I intend to keep it at "maintain" and "long" for everyone - this will ensure you are as good as you can be, for as long as you can be.

Aptitudes are the 6 weapon types at the bottom, ranked S-C. Higher aptitudes make you better at using those kinds of weapons. In my case, I use siege equipment the best, use spears and bows well, can use pikes and cavalry OK, and are poor with navies. You can see I did a relatively even distribution - 1 S, 2 A, 2 B, and 1 C. You can have better or worse aptitudes if you like.

Your character will also have one skill that helps them standout. They are divided into categories: Marching, Attacking, Defending, Strategy, Support, Domestics, and (preventing natural) Disasters. Pick a category you like and I can pick one that matches your character well, or if you know the skills already, you can pick for yourself. Note that the unlockable skills (like God's Command and other, more powerful skills) are not available this time.

Next is your character settings. You can select your temperment (timid, calm, bold, reckless), voice and tone, the importance of the Han court to you, and your personal aspiration. The aspirations are:

Military: Aim for military might; Royal: aspire to rule through virtue; Self: trust only your own strength; Steadfast: favor secure base, and gradual expansion; Goodly: act for the good of the people; Able: act to the best of your ability; Career: stabilize the country and protect the people; Eminent: aim for success and wealth; Secure: avoid danger, aim to remain safe; Retiring: has only self-interest at heart.

I hope see a lot of your participate. I was thinking this would be a nice way for many of us on the forum to interact with each other and have some discussion over one of the things most of us know and love; it's all Three Kingdoms, regardless, so it's something we can all enjoy somewhat. Thanks to everyone who participates for their time and effort.

EDIT: There are also options for officers to be sworn siblings, liked or disliked, or close friends as well. Feel free to create those kinds of relationships with each other (or my character) as well!
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Re: An ROTK Playthrough with Forum Members

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:51 pm

As I said in the discord conversation this morning I loved it when Ranbir/Zhuanyong organised it previously and I'd be love to be involved again!

My character: Sun Fin

Preferably using a variation on my current avatar if it appears in the game?

Leadership: 80
War: 75
Intelligence: 70
Politics: 35
Charisma: 90

Spears: S
Pikes: A
Bows: B
Cavalry: B
Weapons: C
Navy: C

Skill: Support

Temperament: Calm
Voice: Calm
Tone: Dignified
Court: Important
Aspiration: Career

Do we need to choose a good friend? Mine would be Sun Ce :D.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

Nice to see another of these.

Name: Cai Shan
Portrait: Male 17
Lead: 85
War: 87
Int: 73
Pol: 47
Cha: 43
Apts: S Cavalry, A Pikes, A Bow, C for others
Skill: Cavalry General
Court: Normal
Aspirtion: Eminent

Close Friend: Set to the force's ruler so loyalty will be high.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Do we need to choose a good friend? Mine would be Sun Ce :D.

It's not required, but I'll set it to Sun Ce for now. And yes, your avatar should be in the game, I'll set it to that. Also, I give you the skill "integrity" which makes your unit immune to the "misinform" plot - misinform makes a unit retreat back to its home base each turn until it recovers.

OK, the new officers are up. Thanks Sun Fin and Grey Riders for your time and effort.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:04 pm

That's a nice idea! I'd like to add a character if I may.
One of my original officers when I first got R11 years ago.

Song Ting
(you can use any avatar you see fit tho, it's just the one I used)

Leadership:82
War:76
Intelligence:85
Politics:40
Charisma:67

Spears:C
Pikes:A
Bows:S
Cavalry:B
Weapons:B
Navy:A

Skill:Strategy

Character/voice:Bold
Tone:Polite
Han:Normal
Aspiration:Able
Friends:Zhou Yu, Lu Su
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:52 am

Hey why not :D
(Sun Fin took my favorite Avatar :P :lol: )

Name Liu An

for the avatar i will do Created male number 33

Stats
Lead: 85
War: 85
Intel: 75
Pol: 55
Cha: 50

Aptitude
Pikes: B
Bows: B
Cavalry: A
Navy: C

For a Special Skill, something involving Spears :P

Character: Bold
Voice: Bold
Aspiration: Goodly

Close Friend: Bei Shankuo
Liked: Liu Bei
If he would allow it, I would like to be the Sworn Sibling to Sun Fin's character for irony's sake :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:23 am

Sakae Wu wrote:That's a nice idea! I'd like to add a character if I may.
One of my original officers when I first got R11 years ago.

Of course! Happy to have you join. And I did have the avatar you posted as well.

For a skill, I picked "Cunning" for you. It makes your strategies have a much higher success rate against enemies units with lower INT than yours. Your solid intelligence should give this skill quite a bit of use, and will let you scheme against lower INT foes with very high reliability.

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:For a Special Skill, something involving Spears

"Spear General" it is. Spear General makes your spear tactics become critical against weaker units (which I believe means they have a lower WAR score than you). Your high WAR will make it relatively common, and should be a big boon in battle.

Thanks to Sakae Wu and LiuBei for your characters. We're actually shaping up as a relatively balanced military so far, with good spears, cavalry, and bows. We also have competent officers for pikes and Song covering us on the water too. I can follow up with the siege weapons for taking cities as well. Things are shaping up nicely!

This will remain up for a few more days before we start. There's also a storm coming my way, so my internet may be out temporarily for some time, so I'll wait until all of that passes before beginning. So if you're thinking about it, go ahead and make someone!

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:58 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:(Sun Fin took my favorite Avatar :P :lol: )

Hah, I think I'm sorry about that. Not sure if I'd cope seeing anyone else's character with it!

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Close Friend: Bei Shankuo
Liked: Liu Bei
If he would allow it, I would like to be the Sworn Sibling to Sun Fin's character for irony's sake :lol:

Yeah I'm happy with that :D
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kotosho » Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:28 pm

This sounds like a fun idea!

Name: Fan Touhong

Portrait: Created Male 059

Leadership: 78
War: 80
Intelligence: 70
Politics: 30
Charisma: 92

Pikes: B
Bows: A
Cavalry: A
Navy: B

Skill: Marching

Temperament: Bold
Voice: Cool
Aspiration: Goodly

Friends: Zhao Yun, Xu Huang
I would love to have a sworn sibling as well.
''Do not do evil because it is a small evil; do not leave undone a small good because it is a small good'' - Liu Bei
Kotosho
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:13 am

So created! Thanks for your participation Kotosho.

The only marching skill I really saw that worked was "Traverse". This makes it so you take no damage when using special "plankway" paths on the map. Unfortunately there wasn't much else exciting that makes sense for your character (better cavalry movement would be good if you were Cav focused, but you aren't; naval skills get a pass (only B in navy), and antidote and transport are not suitable for main characters. :lol:

The skills you can unlock after a successful game are much better, including Liu Bei's unique "Fleetness" (ignore ZOC).

If you'd like something else, or had something in mind, let me know, and I'll see if I can accommodate.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms