New to ROTK Series, looking for next game?

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

New to ROTK Series, looking for next game?

Unread postby Zaku49 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi! I bought Romance of the Three Kingdoms 13 back in June last year, and I fell completely in love with the game, story, and everything about it. I loved the RPG aspect of being able to make friends, enemies, marriage, etc.

I I have 200+ hours played on the game, and I'm really looking forward to the Power Up Kit coming on the 25th, but what I'm really here asking for is, I feel like I dived into the series too late :(. I still have a perfectly functioning PS2, and wanted to play some of the older games. I was here looking for any possible suggestions as to which one I should start with? What's the differences between 13 and the older games? Is it gonna be hard playing the old ones? Sorry if I seem like some stupid person whose some bandwagon/new fan, I've just never loved a game so much before.
Zaku49
Tyro

Re: New to ROTK Series, looking for next game?

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Welcome to the forum, don't worry though, its always good to see new fans and people that enjoy these games :)
However, I didn't like 13 at all, even though I would've liked to. XI if by far my favorite that I still play to this day after all these years, and have been able to mod/edit it heavily to improve and change it to keep enjoying it, but it only lets you play as a ruler, not a regular officer, and even though you can get married and such, there's not much rpg elements. Still even after almost 10 years of playing it, I still like it, but prefer the pc version over the ps2 version. But since you have ps2 though still, you might want to check out X, some people say that's their favorite and it does have those rpg elements as well, so maybe you might enjoy that one too. Not sure about the older ones, I started with XI, then got 7 and 8, and only played a little of 10, and didn't like 12 or 13. You could also try the Nobunaga's Ambition series, NA:Sphere of Influence Ascension has the same rpg elements and some similarities to Rotk 13 as well with the map and setup even though it takes place in Japan, and I enjoyed that much more. Either way, if you have any questions or anything, just ask :)
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:54 am

I played 8 to death on the PS2 and loved it!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 pm

Zaku49 wrote:but what I'm really here asking for is, I feel like I dived into the series too late :(. I still have a perfectly functioning PS2, and wanted to play some of the older games. I was here looking for any possible suggestions as to which one I should start with? What's the differences between 13 and the older games? Is it gonna be hard playing the old ones? Sorry if I seem like some stupid person whose some bandwagon/new fan, I've just never loved a game so much before.

I had the same feeling after buying IX on the PS2.
IX got me interested but X hooked me. It just had everything I was looking for in a game. You can do the rogue army to Ma Tengs prefect to being an emperor for your own faction in the same game. The freedom makes every game unique. The city battle screen made it a true "strategy" game imo.
Hopefully outdated graphics aren't a major issue for you.

I can't speak of VIII or earlier titles because I haven't tried those. But I definitely recommend X or XI, countless hours sunk on both of those.
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms