Sangokushi 11 with PUK - Lezard's Translation

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Sangokushi 11 with PUK - Lezard's Translation

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 am

Long time no see! Welcome back!

All help is welcome, but I don't know what others are doing (or even if they're doing anything at all) so I can't tell what you could do in terms of translation.

Can you reverse engineer the compression used so we can compress the translations? I was going to give it a closer look, but I lack knowledge on this field, maybe you can do better, no?
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:10 pm

I was trying to get the force descriptions to work. Unfortunately even manually adding new lines results in a bunch of letters getting cut off. Not sure this can be done, unfortunately.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:14 am

I haven't done much in the past days, going to write my bachelor thesis soon.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:11 pm

I was trying to get the force descriptions to work. Unfortunately even manually adding new lines results in a bunch of letters getting cut off. Not sure this can be done, unfortunately.

You can get them to work. Each new line will cost two characters if you use San11Editor, which is the easier and more realistic way of editing the files. So basically you'd have to open San11Editor and the game, check how many characters you have left, if not enough make more room, break the lines, save and go new game, check the result, if not ok: back to initial game screen and repeat. This for each description.

So this can be done, you'd just have to shorten them further. But maybe you're feeling a bit like Sisyphus by now, perhaps it'd be a good idea for you to translate MSGs and leave those descriptions to the future or pass them to somebody else. That said, I think I should repeat myself: I'm not eager to do them myself and maybe we're better off just using the space to give tips on how to start the match, leaving out the background due the severe char limit.

I haven't done much in the past days, going to write my bachelor thesis soon.

I'll have more time only in June myself, maybe Gray Riders and Killaz916 could do the simpler messages on MSG 1 and 2 then? I assume Jink640 is still with us and doing MSG 3. So you take your time to get your degree, I was going to suggest you to do what Gray Riders was doing, but I don't think you'll have any time (I didn't have any for 6 months on my last college year).
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:55 pm

I am sick of these force descriptions and with the characters cut down even more I'm not sure anything good can come out of it. Maybe I'll try to put in simple hints later. For now, I'll start picking at S11Msg01. Hopefully I can translate some of the PUK messages, like the lines when your officers merge facilities.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Killaz916 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:52 pm

De-compiling isn't my strong suit, you actually would have a better chance at Xentax them guys on that forum are some serious reverse engineers.
Killaz916
Scholar

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:48 am

So an odd question. It's obviously a lot easier to translate with context, so getting untranslated messages in-game then searching for them helps a lot. Is there any sort of program I can use to "read" the characters off a screenshot so I can search for them in the message files? Or any simpler way to track down the characters in the message file once I find them in-game? I attempted to use an online reader at one point but it didn't work.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:29 pm

If you have a smartphone, you can download the Google Translate App, which allows you to take screenshots of texts and translate them.
If not, you can just use Google Translate and when choosing a language like Japanese or Chinese, you can try to draw the character(s) in question and choose the appropriate one from the suggestions. It could be enough to draw one or two characters that way, then use the Search function in Van's Editor to look for these characters and finally compare the text in the editor with the one onscreen. If you found the correct one, copy it from the editor and insert it in translate (or whatever you use for translation).
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Well, the idea isn't really to de-compile anything, but to decompress/compress. So this might be the correct place to ask at Xentax: http://forum.xentax.com/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=2d1a929e36a86a1346b03e26d04efc00

Looks like a nice forum, thanks for the recommendation Killaz, but can't you post there in my place? I don't know much either. If you don't want to do this, I can do it myself on the future, it's just that you're fit for the task and probably can do at the present.

By the way, would you like to try translating the shorter and simpler messages on MSG 2?
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:18 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:If you have a smartphone, you can download the Google Translate App, which allows you to take screenshots of texts and translate them.
If not, you can just use Google Translate and when choosing a language like Japanese or Chinese, you can try to draw the character(s) in question and choose the appropriate one from the suggestions. It could be enough to draw one or two characters that way, then use the Search function in Van's Editor to look for these characters and finally compare the text in the editor with the one onscreen. If you found the correct one, copy it from the editor and insert it in translate (or whatever you use for translation).

Thanks, the second worked (I don't have a smartphone).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms