Windows 10 Pro with RTK XI

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Windows 10 Pro with RTK XI

Unread postby bellelda » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 am

I'm using win 8.1 pro, but i think win 10 and 8.1 have the same problem.
I found this: http://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/september ... any-games/
and set it to automatic. Now i can continous playing RTK XI. U can try it.
bellelda
Tyro

Unread postby Teh Zhuge » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:25 am

bellelda, thanks for the info.

However, as you might note, the problematic update is for September 2015, but we started posting about our problems a month earlier in August 2015. Also, the site notes that the problem is for Win 7 and Win 8.1. It seems very likely that having purposely removed support for the DRM in Win 10, Microsoft decided to expand the blocking of that DRM in Win 7 and Win 8.1 because the DRM is seen to be a security issue, and so that update was launched a couple months after Win 10 came out.

I appreciate your advice though. It should at least be helpful for anyone else who is still using Win 7 or Win 8.1 and ends up with the problem.

Anyway, everything works perfectly for me now, since I set things up as I described a couple of posts ago. No worries here now, and as people migrate to Win 10 and beyond, I'm guessing the solution I've posed will have to become the one everyone uses, unless someone develops a new crack.
Teh Zhuge
Tyro

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Teh Zhuge, the site bellelda pointed not only explains the problem and its solution clearly and accurately, but also covers the issue you had (it covers Win 7, 8 and 10). And that's what anyone who googles for it will find ... Gray Riders did the same

It's worth noting that people using "your" solution might still need to do the described workaround if they install the security update on their VMs running Win 7/8.

I might as well remind you that I said what to do in Win 10 right off the bat (despite being ignored), basically because it's the obvious thing to do (thousands are doing so). And I maintain Win XP is the best choice for this game, but yes, you can get it to work on Win 7/8 by doing the workaround or not updating your VM's OS.
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Teh Zhuge » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:54 pm

Lezard Valeth,

The site also explains that the fix is not for Win 10. So no, it doesn't cover Win 10. Gray Riders has Win 8.1, not Win 10. I believe I explained in a previous post what the problem is; the article gives the same account, though with more detail. But in any case, there is no solution for Win 10, other than to use a VM.

I see that you did say right off the bat to use a VM, and thank you for reminding me; I am sorry that I have not given you your due credit in my previous posts. What I did give is a more detailed account. For instance, I explained that Hyper-V won't work, but what would. I suppose you're savvy enough to know how all that stuff works, but for someone who isn't, I offered more of an idea of what to do, so that no one else has to go through the painful experience I did.

Btw, I understand that such a solution is obvious to you, but please try to understand that what is obvious to you is not obvious to everyone. It wasn't obvious to me. What seemed obvious to me was to either 1) Use the no-CD crack as had been suggested on some sites or 2) use compatibility mode. Setting up a VM takes more work, and is a bit less obvious, at least to me.

That's interesting that Win XP is the best choice for this game. I didn't know that. Does it have less glitches, crash less, look better? I don't really want to get a copy set up now that I have it on Win 7 on my VM, but if it's worth the while, I might give it a shot.
Teh Zhuge
Tyro

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:45 pm

The site also explains that the fix is not for Win 10. So no, it doesn't cover Win 10. Gray Riders has Win 8.1, not Win 10. I believe I explained in a previous post what the problem is; the article gives the same account, though with more detail. But in any case, there is no solution for Win 10, other than to use a VM.

I said it covers Win 10 because it does say what's the problem, that their workaround for 7/8 won't work and that there is no solution for Win 10 whatsoever (you must use other OS ... which brings us to the VM solution). I was just answering this passage of your previous post:
However, as you might note, the problematic update is for September 2015, but we started posting about our problems a month earlier in August 2015. Also, the site notes that the problem is for Win 7 and Win 8.1. It seems very likely that having purposely removed support for the DRM in Win 10, Microsoft decided to expand the blocking of that DRM in Win 7 and Win 8.1 because the DRM is seen to be a security issue, and so that update was launched a couple months after Win 10 came out.

Besides, their workaround might still be necessary if you're using Win 7/8 in your VM under Win 10.

I see that you did say right off the bat to use a VM, and thank you for reminding me; I am sorry that I have not given you your due credit in my previous posts. What I did give is a more detailed account. For instance, I explained that Hyper-V won't work, but what would. I suppose you're savvy enough to know how all that stuff works, but for someone who isn't, I offered more of an idea of what to do, so that no one else has to go through the painful experience I did.

I'm not after credits and I'm well aware that you've brought details on the problem and the solution. What bothered me is that you've turned up your nose at bellelda contribution and, at least to me, seemed too cocky over "your solution" which not only can be easily found with some googling or even asking on a more active gaming forum (specially after me pointing what to look for), but also is incomplete (again this update might cause problems even if you're using a VM). You claimed it was a "painful experience" and that you don't want others to go through the same, well, I'm alerting to the fact that the workaround at the site bellelda pointed out is a worth contribution on that sense even if you're using Win 10.

Btw, I understand that such a solution is obvious to you, but please try to understand that what is obvious to you is not obvious to everyone. It wasn't obvious to me. What seemed obvious to me was to either 1) Use the no-CD crack as had been suggested on some sites or 2) use compatibility mode. Setting up a VM takes more work, and is a bit less obvious, at least to me.

I see it was painful experience to you and that's not a problem, it'll be to many even if they go straight to the VM solution (it's Microsoft's fault). But then, it doesn't make it an accomplishment worth of a Pulitzer. Sure you try compatibility mode first, but heirtothestar had already said it wasn't working for him and considering the distance between Win XP and 10, the odds of that working are pretty low (I know, I know, you haven't noticed the game was that old and released under XP). No comments on the crack.

That's interesting that Win XP is the best choice for this game. I didn't know that. Does it have less glitches, crash less, look better? I don't really want to get a copy set up now that I have it on Win 7 on my VM, but if it's worth the while, I might give it a shot.

When the game was released Win XP was the most used OS on the planet and Vista wasn't out yet. Later Koei did release patches to improve compatibility with newer OSs, but not for the english version and those using fan translated japanese version couldn't patch theirs. So yes, on Win XP you have less bugs/crashs (although still far from perfect), squall leonhart translated the changelog of Koei updates.

But you can run it on Win 7/8 without much trouble, I don't think Win XP is worth the trouble only to play RoTK XI if you already have Win 7/8. But for those who have Win XP, perhaps to play other games, it's better to put RoTK XI there too.

Sorry if I look aggressive, but more than anything else I'm alerting to the fact that even using Win 7/8 in a VM under Win 10 many people will still have to do that workaround, be it because they updated their virtual Win7/8, be it because they downloaded an updated iso somewhere to put in their VM.
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Teh Zhuge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:44 pm

Besides, their workaround might still be necessary if you're using Win 7/8 in your VM under Win 10.

That's a great point, and I'm sorry that I missed it.

What bothered me is that you've turned up your nose at bellelda contribution and, at least to me, seemed too cocky over "your solution"

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound cocky, or 'turn up my nose' at bellelda. I began by thanking bellelda for the info (and then thanked bellelda again for the advice later in the post). I then offered feedback by proceeding to explain why it would not help those with Win 10, which is the topic of the thread. I don't see why this is turning up my nose?

As far as being cocky about my solution, it is pretty much the only solution for Win 10, right? I don't see why that makes me cocksure, though I do feel certain of the truth of it, and the linked article doesn't suggest anything different for a Win 10 user. But it's also true, as you pointed out, that updated Win 7 and 8.1 will be affected, and if they are used in VM, that can become a problem for the solution I support. I overlooked this consequence, and I apologize for that.

But then, it doesn't make it an accomplishment worth of a Pulitzer.

Oh come on man, I'm advertising a solution that worked, nothing more. It's the fact that there's a workable solution that's important, not that it came from me.

Sure you try compatibility mode first, but heirtothestar had already said it wasn't working for him

Of course, I had already been working on the problem myself before heirtothestar had posted, and had tried compatibility mode, which is why I mentioned that as one of the things I tried first. You'll see that I tried to confirm with heirtothestar if our problem was the same in all details when trying to work with compatibility mode.

(I know, I know, you haven't noticed the game was that old and released under XP)

Okay, now it seems to me like you are the one who is cocksure. I have been playing these games since the first installation in the series. So not surprisingly, I'm quite well aware of how old it is (and that it is still the best version, imho). I don't know why you should think you knew that I hadn't noticed such a thing. Just because it's old doesn't mean compatibility isn't worth a shot, and wouldn't be the easiest solution, though perhaps not the best.

So yes, on Win XP you have less bugs/crashs (although still far from perfect)

That's great to know! I haven't had too much of a problem with Win 7 yet, and from reading around, I see the unfortunately endless "building/destroying" phenomenon with the AI is a bug that will appear even if I use Win XP. I just try to avoid delegation, though I found this bug can appear if a human player's ruler is turned over to the AI at some point in a game. Very annoying.

I had seen the translation of the changelog before, but I thought perhaps the updates had been included from the outset with the English version, since it came out after the updates (I think?).

Sorry if I look aggressive

Very. I'm quite thankful for your work and contributions to translation, as well as the save information you've shared, but I have been very surprised by what I feel is an overly aggressive reaction to my posting. It makes me feel like you don't want to count my efforts as helpful or appreciated, which is funny, since you're accusing me of doing the same to bellelda. After all, you make a point of saying that you suggested the solution first, it's supposed to be the obvious solution, and you reference it as my solution with scare quotes. I did thank bellelda for the info, but I overlooked how it affected the solution I offered (the hosted Win 7 in VM), and so I'm guilty of not seeing how the info was genuinely helpful. I don't see that it makes me guilty of other things, like being arrogant or thinking I'm owed a Pulitzer. That's a bit over the top, don't you think? I just made an honest mistake.

but more than anything else I'm alerting to the fact that even using Win 7/8 in a VM under Win 10 many people will still have to do that workaround, be it because they updated their virtual Win7/8, be it because they downloaded an updated iso somewhere to put in their VM.

Again, this is a great point. I just wish you hadn't felt it necessary to try taking me to task along with this great point. Or really, it's the tone you take that I feel is undeserved. You could have pointed out my mistake, and I would have acknowledged it and offered an apology, and it would have proceeded and ended amicably. I'm sorry that you found my response to bellelda was somehow morally inappropriate, and I certainly didn't mean to demean bellelda or the offered advice. I do think it's a good thing that you spoke up to show how bellelda's advice is relevant for a Win 10 solution and that it's a valuable contribution.
Teh Zhuge
Tyro

Unread postby Lezard Valeth » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound cocky, or 'turn up my nose' at bellelda. I began by thanking bellelda for the info (and then thanked bellelda again for the advice later in the post). I then offered feedback by proceeding to explain why it would not help those with Win 10, which is the topic of the thread. I don't see why this is turning up my nose?

Okay, I believe you didn't mean any of that, a misunderstanding on part then.

As far as being cocky about my solution, it is pretty much the only solution for Win 10, right? I don't see why that makes me cocksure, though I do feel certain of the truth of it, and the linked article doesn't suggest anything different for a Win 10 user. But it's also true, as you pointed out, that updated Win 7 and 8.1 will be affected, and if they are used in VM, that can become a problem for the solution I support. I overlooked this consequence, and I apologize for that.

When I said "cocky" I didn't mean "overly self-confident/self-assured", I've used on the sense of "excessively proud of oneself". But it doesn't matter.

Oh come on man, I'm advertising a solution that worked, nothing more. It's the fact that there's a workable solution that's important, not that it came from me.

Totally agree, it only seemed to me you weren't just advertising a solution that worked. But if you say so then fair enough, I believe you.

Of course, I had already been working on the problem myself before heirtothestar had posted, and had tried compatibility mode, which is why I mentioned that as one of the things I tried first. You'll see that I tried to confirm with heirtothestar if our problem was the same in all details when trying to work with compatibility mode.

Okay, I was just saying I haven't pulled the VM solution out of the blue, heirtothestar had already tried the conventional stuff (and I knew which would be the likely solution). But it doesn't matter either.

Okay, now it seems to me like you are the one who is cocksure. I have been playing these games since the first installation in the series. So not surprisingly, I'm quite well aware of how old it is (and that it is still the best version, imho). I don't know why you should think you knew that I hadn't noticed such a thing. Just because it's old doesn't mean compatibility isn't worth a shot, and wouldn't be the easiest solution, though perhaps not the best.

Now that is a misunderstanding on your part, I was talking about how old the 11th installment was, not the about the whole series (you showed surprise when I talked about Win XP). Knowing the release date of a game and the popular OS at that time is useful in order to determine the likely best OS for the VM or even compatibility configuration (which I have nothing against, but unfortunately usually doesn't work). I don't know much about the series as a whole myself and don't see anything wrong with that.

That's great to know! I haven't had too much of a problem with Win 7 yet, and from reading around, I see the unfortunately endless "building/destroying" phenomenon with the AI is a bug that will appear even if I use Win XP. I just try to avoid delegation, though I found this bug can appear if a human player's ruler is turned over to the AI at some point in a game. Very annoying.

I believe you're talking about PUK districts problem, right? If so my friend, it might be hard to believe and I'm sorry to say, but it seems that the "building/destroying" thing isn't a bug: Koei did it on purpose (it persists even with PUK fully updated — don't ask me why they've decided to make the game worse, but they did it).

I had seen the translation of the changelog before, but I thought perhaps the updates had been included from the outset with the English version, since it came out after the updates (I think?).

Yes, you're right some problems where no more on the english version and maybe it already had a better compatibility (I don't know and don't play this version), but then it adds new bugs of its own (like the Deng Ai clan crash ... very annoying).

Very. I'm quite thankful for your work and contributions to translation, as well as the save information you've shared, but I have been very surprised by what I feel is an overly aggressive reaction to my posting. It makes me feel like you don't want to count my efforts as helpful or appreciated, which is funny, since you're accusing me of doing the same to bellelda. After all, you make a point of saying that you suggested the solution first, it's supposed to be the obvious solution, and you reference it as my solution with scare quotes. I did thank bellelda for the info, but I overlooked how it affected the solution I offered (the hosted Win 7 in VM), and so I'm guilty of not seeing how the info was genuinely helpful. I don't see that it makes me guilty of other things, like being arrogant or thinking I'm owed a Pulitzer. That's a bit over the top, don't you think? I just made an honest mistake.

I do acknowledge your efforts (and did so previous post), but still I don't think my first post was nasty (I don't find scare quotes scary and as far as I'm concerned the word dog doesn't bite). I said what I thought, seems I was mistaken about you, no harm done.

Again, this is a great point. I just wish you hadn't felt it necessary to try taking me to task along with this great point. Or really, it's the tone you take that I feel is undeserved. You could have pointed out my mistake, and I would have acknowledged it and offered an apology, and it would have proceeded and ended amicably. I'm sorry that you found my response to bellelda was somehow morally inappropriate, and I certainly didn't mean to demean bellelda or the offered advice. I do think it's a good thing that you spoke up to show how bellelda's advice is relevant for a Win 10 solution and that it's a valuable contribution.

If the cap doesn't fit, don't wear it. Despite the blunt treatment I didn't really insult you. Sorry, if it was undeserved, but it wasn't much either. Although it didn't end amicably, I believe it ended fair enough.
Lezard Valeth
Assistant

Unread postby Teh Zhuge » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:57 pm

Although it didn't end amicably, I believe it ended fair enough.

Fair enough.
Teh Zhuge
Tyro

Unread postby Prince Aladdin » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 am

I tried using the VM with both Windows 7 and Windows XP and I am getting the same error on both VMs. The error involves DirectX. When I try to launch the game, it fails, and when I launch the setup (where you can select resolution, etc), a DirectX error message pops up before it opens, and when it opens, all of the drop down menus are blank. The Windows 7 VM was running DirectX 11 with according to dxdiag, while the Windows XP VM runs DirectX 9. Both systems claim there is no issue with the DirectX and that they are fully functional, although the game does not agree.

Any ideas? I've been trying to get it working for months. I've spent at least 10 hours on it over the last few days.
Prince Aladdin
Tyro

Unread postby Teh Zhuge » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:50 pm

You are using Windows 10 or Windows 10 Pro?

Which VM are you using?
Teh Zhuge
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms