RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby sammohung » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:03 am

Guys, if anyone is still here apart from the bots:

Has anyone come across this Chaoxie Carrot? When I conquered Gongsun Zan at his last city in XiangPing, I was apparently given some rare or special items like that Chaoxie Carrot, but the game did not give it to the ruler, it gave the Liu Bei force, and I suppose this item can be found in one of the cities under Liu Bei force control when I go to "Buy Spec"?

Also, I find that for some people getting the Rapport from 90 to 100 is either very hard or impossible. You can spam gifts to that person and get friendship Level 2 Best Friends, but the Rapport does not increase. I have already tried this, and somehow when it hits 90, it will not go any higher even though the Bond has increased from Level 1 to Level 2. After hitting the 90 ceiling, it will not go any higher. But this seems to be for certain officers only.

I tried to banquet, and it showed the guy attended, but the rapport still remained at 90. This is after achieving Level 2 Best Friends....
sammohung
Assistant

Unread postby sammohung » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Also, one basic question is HOW do you escape the Battle View when the ruler/officer you are controlling is involved in a battle and you are controlling it???

Or is there just no freaking way to escape the Battlefield view?

I just attacked the enemy and have to fight his 500,000 strong army until they are all gone, just to take one city, and in the meantime, I had forces poised to attack his other city but I could not coordinate them to attack while the battle was going on for MONTHS.

In the end those forces I gathered to attack the other city ran out of food!!!

What a terrible game if it's like this.

I know the computer AI is to go for broke and send ALL his forces to defend just one city and when I attack it, I end up fighting his WHOLE god-damned army!!! :evil:

Not that I cannot win, it is possible to win by sending a totally strong A Team and keep pouring forces in, but this means I am stuck fighting his entire army for one whole YEAR!
sammohung
Assistant

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:11 pm

sammohung wrote:Also, one basic question is HOW do you escape the Battle View when the ruler/officer you are controlling is involved in a battle and you are controlling it???

I just attacked the enemy and have to fight his 500,000 strong army until they are all gone, just to take one city, and in the meantime, I had forces poised to attack his other city but I could not coordinate them to attack while the battle was going on for MONTHS.

I know the computer AI is to go for broke and send ALL his forces to defend just one city and when I attack it, I end up fighting his WHOLE god-damned army!!! :evil:

Not that I cannot win, it is possible to win by sending a totally strong A Team and keep pouring forces in, but this means I am stuck fighting his entire army for one whole YEAR!

You can exit out of view there is a button on the top right i believe. In addition you can resume that battle anytime by clicking on that army in political view.

Also, I find that for some people getting the Rapport from 90 to 100 is either very hard or impossible. You can spam gifts to that person and get friendship Level 2 Best Friends, but the Rapport does not increase. I have already tried this, and somehow when it hits 90, it will not go any higher even though the Bond has increased from Level 1 to Level 2. After hitting the 90 ceiling, it will not go any higher. But this seems to be for certain officers only.

An easy way is to fight battles with that person, but usually getting him a high value item should work.
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sammohung » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:23 pm

Jebusrocks wrote:
sammohung wrote:Also, one basic question is HOW do you escape the Battle View when the ruler/officer you are controlling is involved in a battle and you are controlling it???

You can exit out of view there is a button on the top right i believe. In addition you can resume that battle anytime by clicking on that army in political view.

An easy way is to fight battles with that person, but usually getting him a high value item should work.

Hey thanks! :)

I was afraid once I left control to the computer, that I would not be able to get it back, but looks like I still can, by clicking on the ruler and then resuming control.

I've had this game installed on my PC for a few years now, but never actually played it until recently. It's definitely different from RTK XI, which was the version I truly enjoyed. But still, I think this one is harder....not necessarily better though.

I think one of the main things that I don't like about it is:

1) not being able to have more than 10 units on the battlefield, and 2) not being able to transfer troops from one city to another.

So you are pretty much stuck waiting for your cities to regenerate their soldiers before you can even use those troops, and then having to march a very long way from all those backward behind-the-line cities just to make use of the troops that have already regenerated there. "Transfer Orders" being one of the most important commands in the game.

And then the fact that the AI sends out all available men from all its cities to attack or counter you means that just one single battle can be very long winded, and if you prevail, then all the surrounding cities became easy prey and you can take a few in rapid succession afterwards.

About the Rapport thing, yeah, this increases in ALL officers that fight alongside you (the ruler) in a battle. And the enemy officers who fought against you in battles will reduce in Rapport even if you have a good Rapport with them in the past. It depends on how many times they keep getting reinforced each time you decimate their unit (and the AI keeps pumping them back in) :D

I've so far seen that Gongsun Zan who was serving me and had a starting negative rapport with my ruler (Liu Bei) being about -6, becoming positive +60 by the time all the battles were over.
sammohung
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:26 am

sammohung wrote:And then the fact that the AI sends out all available men from all its cities to attack or counter you means that just one single battle can be very long winded, and if you prevail, then all the surrounding cities became easy prey and you can take a few in rapid succession afterwards.

Heh, if you think that's bad, don't try to execute a large multi-front campaign against another force. So long as you set it up correctly (which is not hard to do - even accidentally), you basically perplex the AI into not doing anything while you conquer numerous cities. It's pretty embarrassing to see.

Though honestly, the huge defenses that the AI can mount don't always bother me. It really depends on the ruler and the officers appointed as his ministers, as certain prestiges are really broken when the officer is appointed to one of these higher roles and the effect is something insane like reduced negative impact on morale or a boost to troop speed that affects the entire force.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Prana » Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:49 am

Does anyone know how to trigger Battle of Changban ? I've played the battle of Guandu Feb 200 as Liu Bei... Cao army destroyed Yuan and Liu Bei go to Runan and end in Xinye ally Liu Biao.

Cao is always send a troops and I must repel again,again and again (with my ally Liu Biao army) his army... My gold and provision is burning because this war. But I always demand the gold and provision from my ally Liu Biao and he send me gold and provision.

I can trigger Zhuge Kongming event but I can't trigger battle of Changban...
Prana
Initiate

Unread postby sammohung » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:00 am

Zyzyfer wrote:
sammohung wrote:And then the fact that the AI sends out all available men from all its cities to attack or counter you means that just one single battle can be very long winded, and if you prevail, then all the surrounding cities became easy prey and you can take a few in rapid succession afterwards.

Heh, if you think that's bad, don't try to execute a large multi-front campaign against another force. So long as you set it up correctly (which is not hard to do - even accidentally), you basically perplex the AI into not doing anything while you conquer numerous cities. It's pretty embarrassing to see.

Though honestly, the huge defenses that the AI can mount don't always bother me. It really depends on the ruler and the officers appointed as his ministers, as certain prestiges are really broken when the officer is appointed to one of these higher roles and the effect is something insane like reduced negative impact on morale or a boost to troop speed that affects the entire force.

I am now seeing what you mean. Basically, my map now looks like this, and the year is Ad 221: Dong Zhuo force occupies the western part of China (actually he's long dead and replaced with Cheng Yu)...while I (Liu Bei occupy the eastern part of China with a remnant of Sun Ce kingdom in the south. Those southern cities are a bitch to conquer, because of the long roads between each one of them, and the fact they are mostly in undeveloped state.....

I wrested XiangYang from Dong Zhuo and now I am packed it with 100,000 guard troops and then what Dong Zhuo/AI does is to empty ALL his surrounding cities and move all the generals to their nearest opposing village or city and it is RIDICULOUS.

All his cities are now empty...showing a status like....0/10 or 0/7 (depending how many officers are in the city), and ALL the officers are now deployed as units to "defend" against my potential threat.

So the AI is not doing any more development work on his cities, as long as I keep my forces deployed in XiangYang. Mind you, it is costing me a TON of food to get them resupplied all the time. Mexican Standoff.

Just highlighting the deficiency of the game.

Another annoying aspect is that officers start dying off around AD 215+++ onwards and it seems the computer loves targeting my force. So many of my officers are dropping dead and I'll soon face a big problem.

So I am rushing for time and trying to conquer as many cities as possible....now trying to mop up Sun Ce's remaining cities (and he is going to die soon too). Then I will square off with big bad Dong Zhuo force.

I might try marching through some sneaky backdoors and attack some of his cities that are poorly guarded/

But if you can look at my game now, it is RIDICULOUS with the whole bunch of generals all piled up at all the border cities facing XiangYang.
sammohung
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:43 am

Yup, you've stumbled upon the biggest issue with the AI. Although you can really maximize how much you abuse it far more than just forcing Cheng Yu to not develop his cities (they should be maxed this late in the game anyway). Like if you set it up right, basically you can conquer half of Cheng Yu's cities with minimal troop loss on both sides, in really rapid fashion.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby sammohung » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:34 pm

So I just finished the game, conquering China in AD 223, but the end was a bit anti-climatic with tons of people falling dead left and right (so it was a rush job to race against time). And I had to attack with tons of unloyal people simply because they had no time to raise their loyalty, and I had to rush them off into battle so that they don't get recruited or leave (they can leave if loyalty is below 80 and then basically they will never come back).

At the end, both Huang Zhong and Ma Chao were with Cheng Wu's force (Cheng Yu died), and he just surrendered so easily when I (Liu Bei) got him cornered into Anding. So no 5 Tiger Generals. And being so late in the game, even Lu Bu died....

This game has many little surprises or Easter Eggs, but you need to spend hours and hours playing it every day, just to find out what they are. Like conquering Gongsun Zan in Xiang Ping netted me so many "specialties" such as a Chaoxie Carrot (yes, that looked like a real carrot), but I never did come across it. I did come across a sword that boosted my war ability by 9+ which is amazing, and then there was this book that could boost Gov by 6+....but when I loaded the game and went to that city at a different time, the book was gone.

At the end, Liu Bei had such amazing stats, like Gov 100 War 103 Leadership 106 and Int 113. :lol:

I suppose this Chaoxie Carrot extends lifespan (I did find and buy another specialty that also did something like that, but it was a normal powder).

Another thing, Zhuge Liang Rapport level goes from Level 2 straight up to Level 5 (Like Fish & Water), if you can increase it, but strangely, his loyalty is still displayed as 100, whereas Guan Yu and Zhang Fei have Level 4 and do not display any Loyalty number. Tis a shame that you can only have 4 guys as sworn brothers as that is the limit (not sure about marriages).

Also, if you marry someone and have a Level 4 rapport, then you can recruit that person straight away from an enemy force, even though their loyalty is 100. And for this game, no one below 100 is safe from getting recruited. Even loyalty 99 can get recruited....but recruiting at 100 loyalty is only reserved for marriage cases. :lol:
sammohung
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:09 am

Ah I forgot to respond abut that part about the items. Basically they were in your force's possession, but not Liu Bei's specifically. I forget the name of the menu it's under but when you are the ruler, you can go into it and assign those specialties to specific officers (such as yourself). But if you don't go into this menu, you would never know that you had them.

Likewise, if you are far too busy to run around and directly reward your officers with items, you can seize the item from yourself (same overall menu, it has seize and assign submenus under it), and then assign it to the desired officer. The only thing you really miss out on is a chance to mentor, the officer will still get loyalty and rapport boosts.

The Chaoxian carrot is actually a mostly useless item. It is valued at 3000 gold and is consumable, so the best use of it is to sell it! (It's awesome in merchant mode though.)
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms