RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby agga » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 pm

Deej wrote:I'm a big strategy gamer, city builders, Total War, Civ & Paradox. It's actually a strange occurence that I've never played such a prominent game based in my favourite time period before!

I'm envisioning the battles as Kessen-like? The advice seems to be to play as a safe officer as a beginner, is there still a lot to do? Do you still have some autonomy when playing as an officer?

I don't know the other games but I doubt the battles in RTK XIII would get a very high ranking in quality. There's not a whole lot of strategy involved (what there is is very repetitive - you figure out the basics then wash-rinse-repeat), and tactics are entirely a 'this office has X special ability so use him to do Y'. It's not one of the better RTK when it comes to battles.

At a map scale though it's a great strategy game, and you can find yourself putting a lot of thought into which cities you should take, what alliances to pursue, when to give up and plead for a ceasefire, which front to push and which to sacrifice - I only play during weekends but I find myself thinking about my current game during the week, figuring out how to progress when I get back to it. (My Jia Xu game is going strong after >30 years! Playing as an underdog bound to lose is actually a lot of fun.)

And while it's repetitive and a bit silly, I really enjoy the social-role-playing aspect, making yourself famous, getting wives and children, etc.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:07 pm

Just want to update my Jia Xu game, for posterity.

It's 219 (Yellow Turbans scenario) and Jia Xu has just defeated the Sun army. As recently as 215, Sun Ce controlled the central plains east of Xuchang, Jiangnan and Jing province - Dong Zhuo had been pushed mostly into Shu by He Jin from the north and Sun Jian from the east.

Around 215 He Jin finally died, and his replacement He Yan allowed a ceasefire and then alliance with Dong Zhuo (Dong & He Jin had been enemies due to He Jin's liberal execution of prisoners, including one of Dong's daughters, a wife of Jia Xu) - since then Jia Xu has carefully maintained this alliance, and carefully pushed east, first pushing Sun Jian out of Jing and then out of Jiangnan.

Sun Jian and Dong Zhuo both died sometime around 217, and Sun Ce was a more vigorous defender, but it was too late. Dong Zhuo's replacement was his adopted daughter Ji Shi, first wife of Jia Xu. She has been a far more competent ruler. Jia Xu is Viceroy of her eastern territories, and by eliminating Sun Ce he has cemented her power. He Yan still has far more troops and officers, even though he has half the cities. Liu Zhang controls most of the North, and has been minimally active, having surrendered most of the central plains to Sun Jian in the early 210s.

Jia Xu is getting into his 70s, and I wonder if he will be able to take Liu Zhang's territory before he expires. There's no time to rest. Liu Zhang is an ineffective ruler, but he has a stable of excellent generals (Liu Bei et al) and many troops. If we can defeat Liu Zhang within a couple of years, then maybe Jia Xu will live to see the eventual campaign against the imperial armies, which will be pretty ugly (and we'll be the underdog even if we control 2/3 of the realm at that point)... without a strong Viceroy, it's going to be hard to have a chance.. Jia Xu and his 10(!) children and 3 wives (+2 killed by He Jin long ago) are the dominant players in Ji Shi's kingdom (or Dukedom), but I don't think any of them is at or close to Rank 2.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:15 pm

So I noticed that Steam told me that there was new information about the game so I took a look at the store page. There was a new DLC update since I looked last.
A bunch of new scenarios Five Path Invasion - Northern Campaign of Jiang Wei - Four Tribes 6 Countries

The five path invasion is unsuprisingly Wei's 5 prong attack on Shu-Han, a nice scenario if you want to play as Meng Huo as he starts with multiple territories and if Shu-Han focuses their forces against Wei you might have a good pathway to invade.

The Northern Campaign of Jiang Wei is a fictional scenario where Jiang Wei outdoes Zhuge Liang and seizes all of Liang province and Shang Yong. In addition Zhuge Dan, Wen Qin, and Guanqiu Jian all rebel against Wei, this gives Shu-Han a huge opportunity to actually challenge Wei as they won't be able to concentrate their forces against you. Sun Quan of course has a good opportunity to take out the weaker forces allowing him to expand easily as he won't have to face the overwhelming power of Wei so they also have a good opportunity.

Four Tribes, six countries is an odd one, basically the various tribes invade at the same time and manage to conquer the majority of the Empire and absorb various factions. Every major warlord has been defeated an either their officers became free (Cao Cao) or absorbed into them (Yuan Shao, Sun Ce, Liu Biao, Liu Zhang, Ma Teng etc) The only remaining faction that still exists is Liu Bei who has apparently fled his territory in Xu and has taken control of Luo Yang and is safeguarding the Emperor. This is very much a Liu Bei saves the Empire scenario which works for me but I can see if others wouldn't like it.

If you move fast enough to take Xu Chang and Qiao you can basically recruit Cao Cao and all of his people putting things as they should have been with Cao Cao serving the glorious Liu Bei! :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 am

Replayed Guandu again as Yuan Xi and was surprised by the events they added. Yuan Shao dies after repeated event losses and Shang has a split with Tan. A lot of the Yuan quality officers were killed during the events so it's a theme of rebuilding. To my surprise, I could pull off a ceasefire as Yuan Xi and that bought us precious time.

I lead an army to wipe out Gongsun Gong and was transferred to the front lines. One rank away from Viceroy but my comrade group is still pathetic. Liu Bei already left to found his own faction but was quickly absorbed by Cao Cao. Chibi will not trigger.

Sun Ce dies in the event - Quan takes over.

What follows is a surprising concentrated effort of Liu Biao, Sun Quan, and Ma Teng to fend off Cao Cao.
I finally reunited the Yuans again by taking out Yuan Tan's two cities in quick succession so things are looking up.
Now it's still 14 months away from ceasefire's end, and I'm gonna try to rebuild as much as possible before doing a massive push on Cao Cao's territory.

Would it be possible to get Sworn Sibling with Liu Bei and have him defect with his brothers from Cao Cao?
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby rk47 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:59 am

:lol: Managed to acquire the Attack Command strategy from a comrade that was pretty decisive.
2 years of ceasefire spent building up my troops.

Upon expiry of the treaty, Yuan Xi used his privilege to raise a 100,000 strong army and overwhelmed Cao's Henei and Luoyang. Cao Cao responded by summoning 70,000 reinforcements but they were cut down as they arrived piecemeal.

Cao Cao's army is too divided into conquering Sun Quan, Ma Teng, and Liu Zhang. Too weak to concentrate a defense. No reason to split the 100,000 strong invasion force. Yuan Xi's advance was cut short however when Cao Cao invoked a 2-year truce.

:rangry:

At the same time, a 40,000 strong tribal rose in the north to cause some problems.
Yuan Xi's massive army pulled back and dealt with the troublemakers. This temporarily halted the invasion.
Then he achieved promotion to Viceroy and gained a privilege.
Using that privilege, he canceled the ceasefire. The march of the Yuan 100,000 is back on.
Liu Biao out of cowardice, allied with Cao and begin their invasion into Wu.

I look forward to coming home from work and wiping the Caos off the map.
And then depose Shang from the throne.

:devil:
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:50 am

It's about to run its course and become a normal game, but I had some fun playing my created officer Liu Yun.

Started in 184 as a lone wolf, spent three years doing those little patrols of Ji (I think? Ding Yuan's city) to make cash and buying up all of the alcohol in the land while the three Zhangs slowly imploded.

As Dong Zhuo came into power, since my character's father was supposed to have been killed during Dong's march into the capital, I make my way down, picking up my character's brother and wife who had been serving Han, as well as some other created officers who end up serving Liu Yun (they had started off as free officers). This part was pretty fun since I had to form bonds to win them over, made easier with all that booze I had amassed.

Once I had my little band together, we became bandits and started pillaging Dong's cities...and that's when something very interesting happened.

Long story short, after killing off a few minor figures in my pillages, Dong Zhuo decided he had had enough of these bandit pests and challenged me to a duel directly. I had no idea the ruler could even attempt to stop pillages, as it always just seemed to involve regular officers.

Either way, it didn't end well for him...

After a few more "assassinations" like this which eliminated Niu Fu and Dong Min, our bandit band moved west to keep our soldiers from getting killed off. Under Ma Teng's unwitting protection, we put together an army and did a few proper bandit raids. As our fame spread, Ma Teng took notice, and before long, offered to abdicate to me, which after some hesitation I accepted. After all, now we would have the resources to actually eliminate the Dong clan once and for all.

It was a pretty bloody war that spanned several years, but after striking an agreement to have Liu Zhang invade Wudou as a distraction (this actually was not very useful in the game, but was fun RP), the tide turned in my favor, as we eventually toppled Dong Bai in northern Jing.

This run mainly interested me because I was able to RP out putting together my created force, and then simulate Liu Yun's duel that led to Dong Zhuo's death and subsequent rise to power in the west, (somewhat loosely) following the chronological events for the force up to a point. Li Ru (ruler before Dong Bai) kind of messed things up by expanding into Jing, but it was fun while it lasted.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rymrgand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:02 am

Hello, is there a way to such as an event or order to marry people who belong to your force? My poor character has three daughters of marriage age and I can't for the life of me see a way to do so other than using the editor.
rymrgand
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:24 pm

There isn't anything explicit for arranging marriages between other people (major oversight). If you want to roleplay it out or "have requirements" behind it, you can make an event. But if you just want to marry two specific people, you're better off just hacking it in with the editor.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rymrgand » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:16 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:There isn't anything explicit for arranging marriages between other people (major oversight). If you want to roleplay it out or "have requirements" behind it, you can make an event. But if you just want to marry two specific people, you're better off just hacking it in with the editor.

That's A shame I seem to remember paying money or some other currency in previous games to marry officers, maybe that was Nobunaga? it has been years since I played any RotTK, X being my last this has some great improvements reminds me of 8 I believe on the PS2. These are excellent games but they seem to loose real good features for new ones sometimes if only they could manage to keep all the best aspects when releasing sequels. That's enough prattling on from me thank you for the advice.
rymrgand
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:40 am

Yeah, like For example XI let you spend some technique points to marry people off. But Koei is notorious for introducing cool features, only to remove them.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms