RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:53 pm

I say give it a shot, I thought something similar, but now I think it's a very fun game. It's flawed, but I have a good time every once in a while. I just wished being super aggressive wasn't the way to go.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:10 am

Yup the learning curve is rather high on this (not that the game is challenging). And the tutorials are terribly designed, so you won't learn much from them. Honestly they are more like a challenge mode most of the time anyway.

Feel free to ask questions here, and just jump into a game as a decent officer on a safe force and try to get the hang of it through that. If you are not a ruler, it is pretty hard to lose the game...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aygor » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:25 pm

I did as suggested and after four tutorials I moved to the main game. I am playing as Liu Feng the Yi conquest scenario, story events progressed and now I am past the announcement of the northern campaigns. I am not sure about the current year, Ma Chao just died of old age to give an idea.
I will probably lose as both times I managed to get through enemy troops to conquer AnDing or ChangAn, Liu Shan gets us a ceasefire (is it announced by the way? I just notice when I can't conquer the city/village at hand). Wei used the time to reduce Wu to one last city within a couple of years and I am pretty sure the gap is now too large to do anything against them.
Is there a way to resupply marching troops between cities/villages? some battles are so drawn out that I have troops locked until starvation and that seems a bit harsh.

I find the game immersive and very enjoyable however I can already see one thing killing replayability for me.
There is just too much time in which all I have to do is looking at the screen: waiting for actions, tasks or travelling to auto resolve. Simply having the option to skip to the end of the action/next alert or random event would be a very easy solution allowing to play smoothly and cut wasted time.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 am

The "real time" aspect can't be helped and is a common complaint. I think the intended goal by the designers was to have various things happening all at once, but they didn't implement it in the best way. My personal complaint is actually the opposite of yours though, I get aggravated when you are waiting for some mission to complete, and a bunch of other things pop up. I often go from clearly knowing my next couple of actions I want to perform, to being overwhelmed and distracted by a bunch of reports coming in at once and totally forgetting what I was planning to do.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:57 am

Tried playing as Yan Baihu over the weekend in Warlords scenario. Seems very hopeless.
Allied with Sun Ce, got ahold of a few Wu officers. But they're B-tiers mostly.
We cleared the rest of smaller Wu kingdoms but I can't really grow beyond 2 cities. I see Cao Cao crumbling under Yuan Shao's onslaught now and Sun Ce is also stretched thin.

Liu Bei is already absorbed by Cao Cao yet Cao Cao is losing to Yuan Shao because Sun continues to harass them from the south.
I have to stay on my toes to defend Sun from Liu Biao but I can't keep this up, man. At this rate, Yuan Shao is gonna have Cao & Liu's officers and it's GG for Wu-Alliance.
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby agga » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Aygor wrote:Is there a way to resupply marching troops between cities/villages? some battles are so drawn out that I have troops locked until starvation and that seems a bit harsh.

You can build Depots at L4 key points, so armies can go there to resupply - I'm not sure if they can resupply during a battle (maybe? infirmaries work during battle, if you put units in the HQ base). I haven't made much use of depots though (supplies haven't been a big problem for me in many games)

I'm nearing 30 years on my Jia Xu game, and I was wondering if it's possible to tweak certain game parameters. Basically it's irritating how after a decade or so, the game is flooded with cash and supplies so these stop being a factor. There should be diminishing returns on commerce/etc development, but the returns seem linear. It would be nice if He Yan's employing ~200 officers, and regularly fielding something like 300k troops, should be putting a strain on his finances (but no, each of his cities is 'highly developed' and has *monthly revenue* of >10,000).. I would think that Dong Zhuo's comparatively slim operation (surviving only because of Jia Xu's decades of ingenuity) should benefit somehow...

That's one thing I would add to this game (and a lot of other war games) - that fielding a large army from a city, keeping it away from home for long periods and subjecting it to casualties, should be a significant hit to that city's economy, public safety or morale or etc.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:14 pm

Is there an event for the northern campaigns? It's kind of anticlimactic when you have a declaration of war but you can't even get Jiang Wei.

On a different note, this is really frustrating. After conquering a city, there are some men still within even though the city is mine. Naturally, a battle starts immediately, but it's a field battle, so while I'm fighting, a Wei force just sieges the city that I am supposed to be in and takes it while I'm dealing with the other battle, denying my chance to resupply. What a grind.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:38 am

I've had that field battle issue before, the game starts getting a bit buggy in those situations. Don't think anything can be done about it except *maybe* redirecting the unit.

No late game events, Chu Shi Biao is the final one.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:45 pm

Qin Feng wrote:On a different note, this is really frustrating. After conquering a city, there are some men still within even though the city is mine. Naturally, a battle starts immediately, but it's a field battle, so while I'm fighting, a Wei force just sieges the city that I am supposed to be in and takes it while I'm dealing with the other battle, denying my chance to resupply. What a grind.

I just think of this scene when that happens:

https://youtu.be/tRIwrB1L0VU?t=1692

just think of yourself as Zhou Yu defeating Cao Ren, only to find Zhao Zilong has got there before you..
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Deej » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:36 am

I've never played a RTK game before. Just reading through the conversations you're having is making me want to play so I've added it to my wishlist to be notified of any sales.

I'm a big strategy gamer, city builders, Total War, Civ & Paradox. It's actually a strange occurence that I've never played such a prominent game based in my favourite time period before!

I'm envisioning the battles as Kessen-like? The advice seems to be to play as a safe officer as a beginner, is there still a lot to do? Do you still have some autonomy when playing as an officer?
Deej
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms