RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby TasteKnuckles » Mon May 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Hey everyone Just signed up for this form but I have owed and beat 1,3,4,6,7,8,9,and 11. Haven’t finished one on XIII yet.

Guess I am having trouble really expanding in 13. I like having lots of officers in my cities. In XI I would split my armies up and conquer a city, quickly build it up, then push forward again leaving 3 behind to take care of it in case of a hole where a enemy can sneak in.

In XIII since it’s auto draft and soldiers don’t remain in the city once taken a counterattack usually takes me out and in prisons anyone I sent to shore up the city.

Just wondering if anyone had a defensive for that?
TasteKnuckles
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 07, 2018 3:33 pm

13 is definitely a different playing experience from previous titles in this series.

Try to divide your officers up evenly between cities. Your capital can get away with a few more but the hoarding of top talent on the front lines will backfire. Because you need to deploy units from your rear cities since troops can't be transported.

After that, any further advice really depends on if you have the base game or the PUK. But basically what I do in either game is deploy good units from cities in a region and make a stack of 10 of them. Then you march that stack at your target.

Controlling battles usually goes in your favor as compared to letting the AI resolve them.

I can give more advice if you give some additional details, like base or PUK, scenarios, forces you are trying, specific issues aside from having trouble holding a newly captured city.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TasteKnuckles » Mon May 07, 2018 9:09 pm

Ahh sorry, I have it on XBox one, and bought the fame and strategy edition. Almost like the PUK but for xbox.

I haven’t done a historical figure yet but my created guy who has the following stats.

LEA. 72
WAR 81
INT 77
GOV 72

Don’t want to over power my player. Usually try and get three wives from my officers, then try for kids.

I start games as a free officer and after getting married with a few companions I raise my flag and end up stuck in a city with just 8 officers including my wives until the kids come of age. Though I can take a city just fine as Battles are not to difficult to get the hang of I always get caught in the not enough officers to fight off the attack that comes a month later as I sent all my troops in there already. The auto draft just hinders more then helps it seems. I end up trying to fight off a wave of 50k troops with my player and his private troops as they don’t restock in time. It may just be a learning curve for the game, but it’s the first Romance game I ever struggled with since I chanced to pick up the 3rd one for free around 20 years ago.
TasteKnuckles
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 07, 2018 11:08 pm

OK yeah, part of the issue is that you are joining the fray late. Number of cities matters like never before, if you don't keep up with your neighbors then they will eventually outrun you.

The easiest way to avoid the issue is to start on another force, or join one when ready. You can rebel at various stages and leave yourself in an advantageous position - if you wait until viceroy you can even cripple your old ruler, no matter the size, by rebelling. Or you can rise through the ranks and help your force grow in power and dominate.

If you are dead set on playing as a ruler, you have to raise your flag as soon as you realistically can. This delayed raising of the flag is the one way I have not tried to really play yet because it seems like an uphill battle. Once you have 2 or 3 cities things will get easier, but going from 1 city to 2 is the most critical point and if you put it off, it gets harder and harder.

Of course on the other hand, if you have no officers but start a force, that is just as bad as you cannot improve your cities.

-----

It is worth pointing out, certain tactics will heal your troops and allow you to muster a better defense. My favorite is Local Troop but there are others such as major medic, all you do is set the tactic on the field near your army at the beginning of a battle and move your units that need healing to it. It will turn into a button after a few moments (there should be no enemies nearby) and one of your commanders will comment about it, then you push the button and they will start recovering if in range.

There are also strategies that have a similar effect, Vanguard, Grand Healing, Attendant are the main ones. I think Attendant is the best overall, it heals 20% of wounded for all units in range.

Failing all that, you can also put your units with wounded in the main camp when defending in a city battle and regain troops at a fixed rate that way. This works only as long as the castle gates have not been breached.

-----

Strategies also go a long way, some of them are ridiculously overpowered. So if you are running around as a free officer and befriending people, try to get officers with really good strategies. What's good sort of depends on the player's style, but in your outlined situation, having a commander with one of those strategist strategies like Ensnare or Crafty Plot, something that lowers enemy defense, will go a long way.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 08, 2018 1:42 am

A lot depends on the location of cities and your neighbours. Central Plains and North are extremely hard to take control of, since your little band is no match for the warlords in the area in the start, But on the other hand you've pretty much won the game once you got it under control and kicked both Yuan Shao and Cao Cao out of the game. Getting the south is much easier, but you'll have a harder time later in the game dealing with enormous armies and endless reinforcements when you decide to attack.
if you have wives and kids already, you are probably too late for the party. I usually spend the first 2-3 years in the field, not having time to visit cities and build relationships. Once I can field 100K army, I start to autoresolve battles and spend more time enjoying the rpg side of the game with my main character.
It certainly is possible to hold off the AI even if you're hopelessly outnumbered. You won't unite the land but you can defend indefinitely. My toughest scenario was holding off Cao Rui and his successors with none other than Xiahou Mao and some other mediocre officer. Just the two of us against the whole world :lol: Well...that mediocre officer had a Fire Burst tactic :wink: I had only the very SW city (normally belongs to Shi Xie) and Wei had the...rest. For 40 years the AI tried to destroy me, and couldn't. I even managed to conquer Hepu from him and some point but couldn't hold it and had to fall back. That was in vanilla though and things are very different with a PUK. Might be impossible now or might be actually much easier.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 08, 2018 2:25 am

Xiahou Jia wrote:if you have wives and kids already, you are probably too late for the party.

Yes I agree with this assessment. To put it in perspective, I have played two games so far with the bonus officers (Ying Zheng, Liu Bang, etc.), once in the vanilla game, and once in the PUK. Both times, I sought to play a slow, drawn out game where I expanded slowly (think one city per year).

Both times, I have quit the game because there was no way to win.

With the PUK in particular, I had let Sima Yi grow powerful without trying to interfere at all, and by the time I tried to make a move, he had snowballed into a massive blobber. I tried every legal trick in the book, but there was no way to turn the tide. That was only about 8-10 years in.

So yeah...you can play defensive, but the game is extremely geared toward offensive play. You can actually beat the game without lifting a finger if you can position yourself as war minister of a force, just form alliances in a way that lets the force expand unimpeded and it will naturally blob all over everything.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 08, 2018 3:20 am

Yeah, Sima Yi is a force to be reckoned with. I'm currently playing as Zhang Jiao in the fictional all officers scenario and he's the only one who grows up consistently (Hard mode, Rapid Expansion). The first year hasn't even finished yet and he already controls 7 or 8 cities, knocked out Ma Teng, build an alliance with Dong Zhuo got some of Liu Yan's territory, finished off Zhang Lu and is about to do the same to Liu Bei. I got 9 cities in the north at the moment and knocked Yuan Shao out. Cao Cao and Sun Jian got 6 cities but their resourses are quite low because of endless fighting within cities. Occasionally Liu Biao and Tao Qian manage to steal a city from the above two, but are quickly put in place.
The original idea of stalling Sima Yi through diplomacy didn't work, because of amount of time wasted travelling in the west when trying to endorse his officers and chasing himself on the front lines. He fills his stores faster than I empty them (I'm not in official alliance with Sima).And he's certainly no pushover in debate. Gotta change strategy now. Gonna build an alliance with Cao Cao to secure south flank then go straight to Chang An getting rid of He Jin and Zhang Ji in the process.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TasteKnuckles » Tue May 08, 2018 4:01 am

Ahh thought I must be missing something. Always enjoyed starting slow in these then exploding on to the scene in a blaze of glory.
TasteKnuckles
Tyro

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 08, 2018 7:16 am

TasteKnuckles wrote:Ahh thought I must be missing something. Always enjoyed starting slow in these then exploding on to the scene in a blaze of glory.

Yeah the auto drafting single-handedly prevents that from happening in this version, haha.

I suppose one alternative for you would be to run about as normal, getting friends and making babies, and doing the patriot prestige path missions in an area with a force that isn't run by one of the big dogs (Cao, Liu, Sun, Yuan Shao, Zhang Jiao). If you get your renown up throughout their land, it should trigger Awe status, and once a lesser force is in awe of you, they may offer to abdicate in favor of you. That way, you get a head start on city development and officers. Liu Yan/Zhang and Liu Biao might be good goals for doing this.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Amazing Mi Heng » Tue May 08, 2018 7:43 am

My last run I managed to win from one city fairly late in the game (Cheng Du), but mostly because the guy I took it from (Ma Chao) was currently in a four way war with Cao Cao, Liu Bei (he'd inherited Yuan Shao's lands after I went all executioner on his heirs years earlier) and Lu You (AI created officer.) Had a lightning campaign taking over most of the thinly defended Ba Shu area and that set me up pretty well.

Liu Bei ended up being an absolute monster to deal with though. That POP growth+++ prestige he has combined with owning the north and part of the central plains ended up hurting a lot after a while. Thankfully he had the fewest officers out of everyone so.... you really didn't want to be a Liu Bei officer and get captured. CHOP CHOP CHOP.
"Should one not cry out when one enters a coffin?"-Mi Heng to Xun Yu
Also answers to: LichLord, Lord Doomhammer, Lord Schicksalhammer.
The Amazing Mi Heng
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms