RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 pm

Shu seems to be the hardest, because the Sun family is in the middle of nowhere and Wei gets free stuff. I never thought of the 1k decoy, sounds so cheap :lol:
I will have to figure something out. Maybe finishing the tutorial is a good idea and thus I can have an idea on what I'm doing :lol: The lack of tool tips is really annoying. I was losing money in Xia Pi but I had no idea what was taking so much off my wallet, so I just kind of developed markets until it wasn't bad. However Cao Cao kept stealing my officers. What a disaster.

Do you guys know if the yellow turbans scenario is any good? Does it tie in with the rest of the story through events or is it simply 2 factions and that's it? Would like to try it if it does follow the story.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 am

I'd advise to finish tutorial and all the hero scenarios first.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am

Yellow Turbans with events on isn't bad, events will set up all your forces for a while. But Dong Zhuo will be quite bloated with officers.

I don't think doing the *entire* hero mode is necessary, but definitely worth doing the first half or so. I think I stopped after beating Lu Xun's. At that point the missions start becoming kind of ridiculous. And certain scenarios require a guide, I think Zhuge Liang's is one of the most notorious because you have to do weird stuff and do it just right.

Your expenses go up as officer ranks go up. So usually you don't want too many officers per city. The Consul prestige can counteract this as it raises the gold output of cities your prestige influences.

1k units are very cheesy, I like to deploy low loyalty officers in them - 3 per unit - and then let them sit on the city. They can't be recruited and some neighbors will deploy defenders that will eat up all their food and stunt their development.

That diplomacy resource milking stuff can be pretty evil if done right haha. Actually I am playing Dong Zhuo right now and maintaining an alliance with Cao Cao, who has been struggling to fend off Liu Biao (another Consul) due to a lack of resources. Even though I have been playing nice with Cao, he sent a goodwill envoy and basically tried to offer me enough food/gold that he wouldn't have been able to do anything. Had to decline lol
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Thu May 03, 2018 8:28 pm

I tried as the Sun family this time. How crazy it was being under yuan shu as Sun Ce :lol: Tao Qian sending endless armies and had to basically fend them off with a smaller force. But I did pretty well. In fact, too well. Yuan shu grew powerful and now that I've claimed independence I expect immediate retaliation. Hope I can arrange diplomacy before that but I don't know how this will go. Still pretty fun, let's see how events unfold.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Sun Ce himself is a very strong character. But what I really like is the exceptional performance of his voice actor. Normally, I prefer him being voiced by Yuri of course, but this game changed my opinion. Wen Chou is also voiced very well in Guan Yu's cutscene.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Amazing Mi Heng » Fri May 04, 2018 6:57 am

yeah, one of the first things I end up having to do everytime I play this game is- WAIT HOLY CRAP MY ACCOUNT FOR THIS SITE IS STILL REGISTERED ITS BEEN YEARS SINCE I LOGGED ON

Ahem... as I was saying the first thing I always have to do in this game is find some way to neuter Sun Ce because no matter how many odds are stacked against him, If I don't personally take them out the Sun family eats half the map. I've lost track of how many games have come down to me and Sun Ce owning half the country each, and it all ending in a giant slog of never ending battle 'Here we go again...'

For all its flaws though, I don't think I could go back to the other ROTK games. I'd miss the event editor for one thing, as obtuse as it is. Currently working on an event chain that has a small chance of firing between the 2 parts of the Love Triangle plot, where Dong Bai and Li Ru see through Wang Yun's plot and decide to murder Dong Zhuo themselves (blaming it on Diao Chan) so they can seize power. This leads to a bunch of other events as Bai has to start purging other veteran officers and manipulating others to shore up her power (executing Guo Si and Li Jue, marrying Lu Bu etc.) It's been a lot of fun to make but I really need to start writing it out outside of the game because that dialogue editor bleh.
"Should one not cry out when one enters a coffin?"-Mi Heng to Xun Yu
Also answers to: LichLord, Lord Doomhammer, Lord Schicksalhammer.
The Amazing Mi Heng
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Fri May 04, 2018 8:33 am

What force do you play as normally, Mi Heng?
Serving Wei from scratch (Chen Liu only that is) my biggest concern has always been Yuan Shao or Gongsun Zan (whoever wins the North) in rotk games. Ma Teng is dangerous in rotk13 as well, with rapid expansion turned on.
Sun family is normally too busy in the south for quite some time. I do try not to provoke them before I'm ready as well. Also their cities are not exactly very close, so you don't have to deal with endless waves of reinforcements. Scenario very popular in the north and central plains. If I don't weaken Liu Biao he tends to hold his own against Sun family for quite some time. But yeah, eventually the south belongs to Wu with pretty much 100% consistency :)
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby The Amazing Mi Heng » Fri May 04, 2018 10:03 am

99% I'm playing a created officer of some sort, and I usually don't start as a ruler... Which limits the influence I can have from the beginning a bit :D. Plus, Liu Biao seems to fold to a stiff breeze in all my games, so if Sun Ce gets free half the map turns red real quick. Thankfully, even in games where I have everything set to historical the event where he breaks off from Yuan Shu only happens about half the time, and even with the Sun Ce crew, Yuan Shu tends to be useless.

On another topic, am I the only one who uses the edit tools from the PUK as a sort of storytelling tool? Like, If two factions have been fighting for ages without much progress, I'll force a long ceasefire between them to simulate war exhaustion. If the AI has one of those gigantic battles it likes to have now and then, the ones that go for years and have a constant 100k fighting on either side with reinforcements after reinforcements, then when it's finally over I go in and edit all the surrounding cities, depopulating them and tanking their economies/training. If a particularly proud ruler suffers a big defeat, I'll reduce their life expectancy or stats or something, etc.
"Should one not cry out when one enters a coffin?"-Mi Heng to Xun Yu
Also answers to: LichLord, Lord Doomhammer, Lord Schicksalhammer.
The Amazing Mi Heng
Assistant

Unread postby Qin Feng » Fri May 04, 2018 3:58 pm

I don't but it sounds like a cool idea! But first I will figure out the game. I played regular ROTKXIII some months ago and didn't like it very much, but the expansion is quite enjoyable, so who knows. I know way more about the sengoku period so that may have been a good thing to have in Nobunaga's Ambition, but I can make some pretty funny stuff :lol:

When I played Cao Cao in the Dong Zhuo scenario back in vanilla I also had problems with Yuan Shao. He even called a coalition against me and was a game over. I thought of being Liu Bei and conquer those 3 free cities that will help locking Yuan Shao's expansion, but the lack of officers Liu Bei has takes me aback.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Fri May 04, 2018 8:26 pm

I rarely play as a ruler as well. Prefer to pick historic officers.
Haven't used the editor much. I'm currently considering modding the mechanics a bit through events, but still very cautious.
For example I wanna make some officers unique if they posses their rightful items. I am thinking of creating a looping event that allows Zhang Jiao to increase his army once a month (condition be say 5th day exactly) by a set amount of soldiers. Every month he'll get soldiers for as long as he is a ruler and has a Way of Peace. Gonna be a short scene and then a message that more peasants have joined his rebellion. But I can't decide on the amount of soldiers. It has to be more than usual increase in the city but not too overwhelming.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms