RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby Drakken » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:32 pm

rk47 wrote:Yellow Turbans are basically screwed anyway because they do not have the same 'title granting' system as normal rulers do. Therefore no matter how good their commanders are, they'll never be able to command more than 5000-7000 men each. It meant their city advantage at the start is less meaningful while the Han officers' command capacity grew larger and larger.

I wiped out He Jin as Yellow Turban and deposed the Emperor - and that is the only way the Yellow Turbans can implement a title grant system. But there's no event attached to it. Pretty disappointing.

Yes, YT's best and only strategy is to concentrate immediately one Luoyang and destroy the Emperor - while the backlines capture empty cities in the Northeast.
Drakken
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:54 am

OMG Liu Bei with events starting in 184 is so boring hahaha

Currently 199 I think, Cao Cao just wiped out Lu Bu and I've maxed Qiao without actively trying. I am going to try to boggle the Guan Yu Surrenders event a bit, I am thinking that I can exile non-essentials just prior to the event and their rapport will not plummet. Let's see.

I also finally worked out the events bonus thing that kept bothering me - when someone asks for supplies to do more or where to cultivate stuff. The base bonus is for low prosperity; medium is halved I think, high is 20%. So if it's below 5 points on low, yeah you get zero, which renders some options useless since the bonus is like 3.

I rarely seem to get any commerce/culture events...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Heh, well I've figured out one cheat of sorts. Even though I've been buying useful items, Liu Bei still has like 30,000+ gold by the time 200 rolls around when starting in 184. So the moment I got put in Xinye, I immediately put him on city development duty. Just pick the cheapest option and then max each stat out with your personal gold. I can't see any other realistic way to get on your feet in Xinye after losing everything, the city needs to get profitable fast.

Edit: Then I cheated my cheat. :?

Just solicit gold from Liu Biao. Going the way I posted above, I was up and running with elite spears by 204 and started raiding Wan for those sweet sweet Wei supplies. But I blew a few thousand gold and tons of merit on my ruler...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:07 am

Hah.

I believe Cao Cao starts 184 without any horse. I just conducted another raid on Wan from Xinye. Cao Cao happened to be there. After I defeat all of the units, I see this pop up.

5 officers, including Cao Cao have been captured.

Cao Cao: You're kidding!

If it weren't for the events, he'd be bound for the chopping block. As it stands, looks like I have my own Huarong Pass.

Why doesn't Cao have a horse in 184, I wonder.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:48 am

Weird. It's possible that the horse was only granted if Cao Cao fled from the court after the failed Dong Zhuo assassination?
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:30 am

rk47 wrote:Weird. It's possible that the horse was only granted if Cao Cao fled from the court after the failed Dong Zhuo assassination?

It doesn't seem to be tied in even though Dong Zhuo mentions giving Cao Cao a horse in that event. I can't recall what the story is surrounding that in the novel.

If the PUK comes out in English and we can edit existing ones I would probably fix that.

Speaking of, I did make a few alternate saves and went ahead and offed Cao Cao in one of them. I racked up a lot of archenemies, and Liu Biao gets to keep his grip on Jing in this hypothetical, but man is it bad for blobby Wei here.

Back on the main save, the event chain abruptly ended (AGAIN) in the middle of the Chibi series. The arrows event fired and then that was it. I trained spears to elite and blew through southern Jing in response, now am getting those cities up to elite spears so I can take Jiangling, Xiangyang, and Xinye. Then I am back where I started, and either go back to harassing Wei, or ummmm I could take Yi but I'm not sure I wanna. :?

I want to know what the problem is with the events. With Cao Cao it stopped right before the borrowing arrows/Cai & Zhang executions. This time it stopped right before Zhou Yu savagely whips Huang Gai. I am not thrilled by the prospect of playing each kingdom in every scenario and following history...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:26 pm

The PUK will be released in English on 25th April.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:51 pm

Lord_Cao_Cao wrote:The PUK will be released in English on 25th April.

That's faster than I expected.

But I found XIII pretty poor and barely played it after a week or so. The PUK would have to be pretty amazing for me to bother.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

Gray Riders wrote:But I found XIII pretty poor and barely played it after a week or so. The PUK would have to be pretty amazing for me to bother.

By all (English language) accounts all it does is add some bells and whistles in the form of new gameplay modes. And all the new battle-related stuff supposedly exposes the bad AI even more. I always defended the AI in XI in the past because, for better or worse, Koei had half-assed it enough that one could at least give them an E for effort. Not so in the case of XIII.

(I have also heard rumors of a planned second PUK, of sorts, which is supposed to further fix issues. Bleh.)

=====

And yet I keep playing, like a good little masochist.

I thought it was funny. Not long into my last session, pretty much every force on the map except Shi Xie throws in on a coalition against Cao Cao. By being patient I was able to exploit gaps in his defenses and take Jiangling, Xiangyang, Xinye, and Runan in one fell swoop. Then in another wave I took Wan and Xuchang, although I miscalculated and got shut down in the battle for Qiao.

The amazing part is, it says Cao Cao still has 900K troops. :|

It's also 213 so I am kind of eyeing the clock now. I have a bunch of life extension items but no idea if they stack.

Side note, another funny thing was how I shot up through the ranks after capturing Xiangyang as my presence was so high. Making holding the capital a requirement just to even start getting ranks is stupid.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:10 am

So by 217 I had ended up wiping out Cao Cao. Once again, the horrible AI reared its ugly head. The short version is that Sun Quan managed to tie up Cao Cao's armies with defending Langye. Cao Cao overcommitted to this and left his interior exposed so I punched a big hole into his holdings.

Cao Cao actually never stopped defending Langye during this entire time until Sun Quan finally edged him out and took the city. By then I had a mob of tiger cavalry zipping down from their sweep of the north to take his last two bases in Pingyuan and Beihai.

I really want to like the way that units on the march can jockey for position and you can try to outflank your enemy on the main map to expose some weak point. But this was much like that Guan Yu viceroy game I played - the enemy AI became so obsessed with defending one point so extremely that I'm able to effortlessly sweep huge chunks of the map.

Ma Teng surrendered so it's down to Liu Gui (Liu Zhang died and Liu Xun got caught and executed very soon after) and Sun Quan, but things are pretty much on autopilot at this point. Next is 184 Liu Bei with events off, I imagine this will be an unfulfilling game as He Jin blobs everything, but we shall see.

=====

So basically if you're dying to play Liu Bei from the beginning with events on, the moment you hit Xinye, solicit a bunch of gold from Liu Biao so you can pay your officers and develop the city. If you work on Xinye's military, you can also launch raids on Wan for supplies and prisoners to recruit. If you just want supplies, pull everything out after you take Wan and let the last defender reclaim it; if you want prisoners, you have to fend everyone in the first wave off (not that hard with elite spears/cavalry). Either way, don't station any officers in Wan.

And if you want to optimize your force, the best point to get off the event chain is when Liu Bei has Xu and Lu Bu has just seized Yan. I imagine if Liu Bei is involved in a control battle, this would in theory stop the next event, where Cao Cao reclaims Yan, from triggering.

If starting in 184, Liu Bei has tons of time for mentoring. My favorite thing to do was ping-pong between Zhang Fei and Guan Yu, if you beat one, the other might get interested status. If you don't want your cities getting developed, just don't appoint a governor.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms