RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:39 am

What exactly did you do there to get Liu Bei to "Ooo" you? There are a couple of different circumstances that could be defined as exile (including a proper "get out of my force NOW" exile), but I've never been "Ooo"ed at.

I have yet to execute any of my own officers. But I also haven't played as Dong Zhuo yet :huohu: I could see trying to execute your own officers coming into play, *if* they were able to access their prestige abilities, since some of them are kind of naughty. But alas...

The sad thing about ruler play is that it's really the only way to have complete control over everything you're doing. And by that, I don't mean lording over all the minutae. I mean being able to do a bond quest without your master force-ordering you and your own underlings to take part in suicide battles. By playing as ruler, your character is free to do as he or she pleases. The flip side to that is that you'll be spending waaaaaaaayyyy more time handling all the things that the AI under you is incompetent at.

With that said, I've kind of had my fill of playing as rulers for the moment. It's too bad there's not a happy balance where you can play some bozo and your ruler doesn't treat you like his/her literal right arm.

(Side note, in my last session, I initiated a bond quest with Ze Rong. His mission for me was to chase off some heretic bandit in the next city. It would be him to ask such a request, right? I'd like to think he really just wants me to clear the place out so he can take over.)
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:24 am

Zyzyfer wrote:What exactly did you do there to get Liu Bei to "Ooo" you? There are a couple of different circumstances that could be defined as exile (including a proper "get out of my force NOW" exile), but I've never been "Ooo"ed at.

I have yet to execute any of my own officers. But I also haven't played as Dong Zhuo yet :huohu: I could see trying to execute your own officers coming into play, *if* they were able to access their prestige abilities, since some of them are kind of naughty. But alas...

The sad thing about ruler play is that it's really the only way to have complete control over everything you're doing. And by that, I don't mean lording over all the minutae. I mean being able to do a bond quest without your master force-ordering you and your own underlings to take part in suicide battles. By playing as ruler, your character is free to do as he or she pleases. The flip side to that is that you'll be spending waaaaaaaayyyy more time handling all the things that the AI under you is incompetent at.

With that said, I've kind of had my fill of playing as rulers for the moment. It's too bad there's not a happy balance where you can play some bozo and your ruler doesn't treat you like his/her literal right arm.

(Side note, in my last session, I initiated a bond quest with Ze Rong. His mission for me was to chase off some heretic bandit in the next city. It would be him to ask such a request, right? I'd like to think he really just wants me to clear the place out so he can take over.)

I exiled him through the council:

The gameplay seems pretty much the same for me no matter what route I go, the exception being when I was, say, a bandit, but you're right, as a ruler you get to be pretty free. The game gets kind of repetitive after a while, though; the only thing keeping me going is the hilarious dialogue and friendships. Like when your friends seemingly live in your house and drag random people in from outside and ask if you should rob them or treat them with hospitality.

Does prosperity affect your game endings? I haven't noticed. Because otherwise it's pretty easy to just blob through the map. The one thing I absolutely hate, though, is how you can be forced into ceasefires and alliances if you don't have somebody in your vicinity smart enough to out-debate someone like Xun Yu. I just kept breaking them, but then noticed that all of my officers kept leaving me force and everyone hated me and nobody would do me any favors -- I found out the hard way that people don't like rulers who break oaths.

But I'm Zhang Yan. What do they expect?
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:34 pm

As I play on and off, I do have one thing that keeps coming up that I have to ask about. Periodically, my character on starting a game seems incapable of buying any alcohol no matter where I shop. This makes banquets difficult. After a while, something changes and I'm able to start purchasing alcohol in cities. Does anyone know why that is?

I'm worried it's related to having the Brewery improvement in your home city, but if it's that, that doesn't make sense, since it affects every other city I go to as well.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:30 am

I'll have to try that exile thing, I want to make people say "Ooo" as well!

Xiahou Mao wrote:As I play on and off, I do have one thing that keeps coming up that I have to ask about. Periodically, my character on starting a game seems incapable of buying any alcohol no matter where I shop. This makes banquets difficult. After a while, something changes and I'm able to start purchasing alcohol in cities. Does anyone know why that is?

I'm worried it's related to having the Brewery improvement in your home city, but if it's that, that doesn't make sense, since it affects every other city I go to as well.

I've noticed the same problem, but unfortunately don't know of any solution. It must be some sort of bug.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:47 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:As I play on and off, I do have one thing that keeps coming up that I have to ask about. Periodically, my character on starting a game seems incapable of buying any alcohol no matter where I shop. This makes banquets difficult. After a while, something changes and I'm able to start purchasing alcohol in cities. Does anyone know why that is?

Irresponsible answer from someone who doesn't even have the game: Are your characters old enough to purchase alcohol at the start of the game? *flees*
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:18 pm

You might actually be on to something with that answer!
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Does anyone know the list of unlockable characters for XIII? I have Ying Bu and Zhang Liang, so I wonder if it's the same list of 32 as in XI?
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms