RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:58 pm

Kong Wen wrote:It certainly sounds like the "one map" / battle system is going to be similar to RTK XI, and I don't see why it wouldn't be if they can leverage that technology again. Basically turn-based in the Baldur's Gate sense, where you pause, give orders, and then "play"—you can stop at any time to readjust tactics.

The troop count for individual units could just be hidden until you look at them, reflected at a glance by the "size" of the unit.

Yes, that's how Iron Triangle worked. What I meant is that showing an overall troop count for one battle seems odd if it's using the "all one map" system.

Kong Wen wrote:Yeah, but that's common marketing speak ("buy our stuff!") and hard to quantify. I'm buying Nobunaga's Ambition regardless, but let's not kid ourselves: it's not going to sell well.

I'm not quite as pessimistic about sales but I'm not expecting a top seller.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Yes, that's how Iron Triangle worked. What I meant is that showing an overall troop count for one battle seems odd if it's using the "all one map" system.

Ah fair point. It would be pretty good if the game were smart enough to detect what "engagement" or "campaign" you're concerned about based on where your cursor/screen is pointed, and show relevant numbers.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:27 am

The new game will have Mandarin voices.

And you know what, you, and most foreigners, may think that is the request of the Mandarin speaking fans, but it is actually the request of Japanese fans.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:21 am

Hao.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Having played Sphere of Influence, those battle screenshots now look very familiar, though hopefully with the flaws fixed.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:55 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nfXpI1e6Mw

Some gameplay from TGS. Only watched like the first 15 minutes, but it pretty much confirms the return of Officer play.

EDIT: Several officers got new portraits, even some that had their RTK12 portraits in some of the screenshots, such as Xiahou Dun and Xiahou Yuan. But also others like Yuan Shu were given new ones.

EDIT2: You can gain EXP for your stats and you are not restricted to one of the three basic unit types anymore, the APT from XI have returned (Guo Jia has B Infantry, A Archers and C Cavalry).
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:37 am

Any specific dialogue they said with officer play?

Cause looking at the video it still looks to having to be in charge of something (be in a position of authority). I'm just curious, when its commander mode that means playing a castle lord for a ruler or can it go further down the chain of command so to speak?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 am

No idea, I don't understand a word. :lol:

The battles are now in 3D, too, but seem to be separate from the main map as well. They play similar to 12, but it seems you have more tactical options (fire attacks, maybe even flanking and attacking from behind? They sent Lu Bu around Xiahou Dun's unit and had him attack Dun from behind, confusing him or something). All in all it still seems to be watching troop numbers drop though, I don't quite like that.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:12 pm

It's battles based from NA14
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:30 pm

About "commander mode"; I think I read that one of the Nobunaga's Ambition games let you play as a castle lord, so maybe in this you can play as governor or above level characters, but not a regular officer.

Battles look okay but I'll need to see more. I appreciate it allowed maneuvers like the lure the player used there, though. Koei tend to make utterly random decisions in their games so I'm playing the "wait and see" game.

Some other thoughts;
*Over 700 officers. XI had around 670, I believe. I doubt there's 800 or more officers or they'd have specified the larger number. Still, we could be looking at 50 or even 100 more officers.
*I wouldn't be surprised if it uses Sphere of Influence's "two battle systems" method.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms