RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 10)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed May 03, 2017 3:13 am

Jebusrocks wrote:Can you increase your personal levy despite being a ruler? I'm trying to get Tiger of Jiangdong with Sun Jian and i need 5000 private troops. I have 1500 but cant seem to increase it (only MAX private troops)?

You can only recruit private troops with certain Prestige titles--look for ones with "Recruit" or similar listed; I know the Commander type has them.

Edit:
Welp, Dong Zhuo dethroning the Emperor was the last straw. Tired of seeing the world descend into chaos, Zhao Yun attacked Dong Zhuo's ally, Cao Cao, and raised his flag at Ye. A number of officers he'd befriended flocked to his banner, including Liu Bei (I'm now wishing I'd befriended Guan Yu and Zhang Fei as well! I sent Liu Bei to hire Guan Yu but he moved or something and became unavailable). Although the fledgling warlord state's gold flow is in trouble, Zhao Yun has a powerful, large, and well-trained army with which to quickly expand. As an honorable man, Zhao Yun distributed the absurd amounts of food he'd gathered among the populac (that's the only explanation I can come up with for where my 600,000+ supplies went :lol: ).

All-cavalry all the time is sickeningly good, as I was warned. Combined with top-rate generals like I have and the enemy stands no chance in individual battles.
Last edited by Gray Riders on Sat May 06, 2017 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat May 06, 2017 8:48 am

So I have been dabbling with the Patriot tree in 195 with a created officer with built-in bonds.

What I am wondering is, how hard is picking up comrades the normal way?

Seems fairly simplistic. Like, I can theoretically clear the game without ever fighting an actual force?

I want to pester Cao Cao. :twisted:

Ninja edit for cavalry: the most annoying aspect is how the larger battlefields almost necessitate their use. Spears are slow by comparison - if unit stats were tweaked a bit to nerf cavalry and it couldn't scale walls it would be fine.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sat May 06, 2017 8:30 pm

Form a bond, get a comrade. You can actually earn gold relatively easily as a free officer to buy booze for introductions, and there's the new "Discussion" option while visiting that can speed rapport gains, so it's not that hard to get comrades. You can also start a chain reaction where you can have your comrades form bonds with others, and then add them as your comrades as well (though they'd have to be free officers).

You can certainly clear the game without fighting an actual force. You just need 4000 Renown, earned by helping various cities defeat bandits/fulfill requests.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat May 06, 2017 9:02 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:Form a bond, get a comrade. You can actually earn gold relatively easily as a free officer to buy booze for introductions, and there's the new "Discussion" option while visiting that can speed rapport gains, so it's not that hard to get comrades. You can also start a chain reaction where you can have your comrades form bonds with others, and then add them as your comrades as well (though they'd have to be free officers).

You can certainly clear the game without fighting an actual force. You just need 4000 Renown, earned by helping various cities defeat bandits/fulfill requests.

It's hilarious that alcohol is the best way to make friends. I've had little luck with Discussion so I'm not sure what affects if they accept or not.
Do you know what determines valid letter targets? It seems kind of random but there has to be some logic behind it. I initially assumed it might be location but I've been unable to write letters between officers in the same cit as me.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:36 am

Friendship letters seems dependent on whether you are acquainted at all. Meet him once with a virtue skill or letter of intro or banquet and that should suffice.

Best play through so far and most memorable is Zhao yun under Gongsun Zan. Fended away the Yuans leading to eventual control of the north. When I got to the central plains Liu Bei and co was already absorbed by Cao cao. No problem. Switched to Celebrity prestige, swore brotherhood and recruited all three within two months.
rk47
Assistant

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun May 07, 2017 1:29 pm

rk47 wrote:Friendship letters seems dependent on whether you are acquainted at all. Meet him once with a virtue skill or letter of intro or banquet and that should suffice.

That's what I'd assume, but I'm sure I've been unable to set a letter with officers I'm acquainted with. For example I tried to set one of my Comrades with Taishi Ci--I'd met him and had same rapport, but I wasn't able to choose him as the target. He was even in the same city as us.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Sun May 07, 2017 4:03 pm

It's probably who the other officer knows more than who you know. Hold a banquet with Taishi Ci and the officer in choice so they can meet each other, then letters should be able to be sent.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun May 07, 2017 6:14 pm

Xiahou Mao wrote:It's probably who the other officer knows more than who you know. Hold a banquet with Taishi Ci and the officer in choice so they can meet each other, then letters should be able to be sent.

I actually tried that. Invited him than tried to set him with another of my comrades that attended. Still couldn't select him.
I befriended Taishi Ci myself eventually and made him a Comrade, so whatever was going on with him is unsolvable.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon May 08, 2017 1:16 am

Yeah I am at a loss when it comes to the letter system as well. I was hoping to do the paragon branch of patriot but seem to be perpetually stuck with 31 possible comrades so settled on the other branch. And I wasn't being selective, Sui Gu was an option and I went ahead and went through with it. The letters option just seems really unclear.

It's too bad that the battles in patriot mode are so one-dimensional, once you have won a few bandit battles you have won them all, basically. Wondering how it can be incorporated into the larger game? Is there any point to all those cities having 100 renown outside of this mode?

And what purpose does Awe serve?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:17 am

No idea. I got bored with Patriot play.
For people who want to try the fastest Patriot play without the boring comrade building, just take Lu Bu on Warlords scenario, surrender to Liu Bei and then become a free officer. Diao Chan and Lulingqi will follow you. Have Diao Chan just build up things at home while Lu and his daughter wreck bandit stacks over and over. If you got enough cash, just swear brotherhood with a few distinguished generals to draft them to your cause.

You can swap from Bandit to Patriot, no problem.

I feel like just removing all those OP strategies away from the officers and replacing them with basic strategies. Too many instances of 'super' officers just winning fights single-handedly. Try running Liu Bei in early game and you'll understand what I mean. There's no chance of you losing at all with Guan Yu and Zhang Fei by your side.
rk47
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms