RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:19 am

How are people doing with the event editor?
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 am

I haven't even messed with the event editor. There have been some interesting player-created events released, but they usually only have a minor impact.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:44 pm

If you can surrender to Yuan Shao and secure him a decent chunk of the central plains, the game can still be turned around. It just won't be easy is all. But the northeast and central plains are the two best areas to hold; one region can mean an easy game, both can mean guaranteed victory.

The only downside to joining hands with Shao is that you have to deal with the dummy AI decisions.

It was just too far gone; I did the surrender strategy, and Yuan Shao gave Yuan Shu control of the north; he kept control of the east coast and the southeast that had belonged to Yuan Shu. But the best I could do was to defend cities like Henei and Shangdang from huge incursions from Dong Zhuo (who became Emperor of Song). I could attack Chenliu with my entire army (~120,000), but he could defend it with 200 or 300k troops and *still* attack Shangdong or Henei with another 150,000 - meanwhile, he's attacking Jianye and Shouchun with another 200,000. So then I lose out at Chenliu (or, likely, at Guandu or Baima or something), and have to scramble to save either Henei or Shangdong but not both. And his armies are full of Xiliang cavalry and Elephants, so whereas I'd like to meet him mid-battlefield and use some cleverness, I have to instead make sure that he doesn't just stomp in with Ma Chao's elephants and take out my home base in a flash.

So it was hopeless. Dong Zhuo had far more troops, all the best generals, and a huge interior, whereas the Yuan territory was half border with only the northern interior. Since Dong Zhuo was taking his freaking time (just get it over with, jeez), I set this game aside and tried something else for a while...
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby l3wis 1337 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:06 am

They should have included a scenario editor with this game. Would be great fun to set up and play out your own fantasy post-Han China.
l3wis 1337
Tyro

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:40 am

Ranbir wrote:How are people doing with the event editor?

I made a one-time local event with Yue Jin once your bond reaches Friend and you go to the Tavern at the city he's stationed in:

And a global event at scenario start, because I wanted Zang Ba to have his own faction:

They're tedious to make, though.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 am

Playing Meng Huo in 219 as a bandit, hoping to recreate the Nanman Rebellion. Liu Bei finally croaks in 226. Liu Shan first offers the Hex Mark to me (setting his status to Awe). Then he offers me Shu.

I accepted :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby CaTigeReptile » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:Playing Meng Huo in 219 as a bandit, hoping to recreate the Nanman Rebellion. Liu Bei finally croaks in 226. Liu Shan first offers the Hex Mark to me (setting his status to Awe). Then he offers me Shu.

When you're a free officer it gets to the point of being highly annoying how many times people will ask you to take over their states.
CaTigeReptile
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:13 am

Well, considered I struggled for 7 years - in vain - to keep Liu Bei's advance into the south at bay for my future rebellion, I didn't mind the offer.

And since I had spent all those years pillaging Shu and limiting its growth, for my first act as ruler, I surrendered to Wei.

(I was trying to clear the scenario in either a fun way, or an easy way)
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby l3wis 1337 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:40 am

Is anyone else having trouble earning the trophy on PSN for getting a free officer up to rank 1? I have done this twice now and the achievement still hasn't popped... :cry:
l3wis 1337
Tyro

Unread postby Xian Xu » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 pm

I started playing this game recently because I was playing Dynasty Warriors 9 and usually that makes me want to play Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I think I might be in the minority, but I really love this game. I can't play it for months at a time, but I keep coming back whenever I read/watch/play Three Kingdoms content.

Ranbir wrote:How are people doing with the event editor?

I had a lot of fun with it once I got the hang of manipulating the conditions, building dialogues and creating results. For a long time I think I spent more time creating events than playing the game. I got carried away making events that were inspired by Sanguo Yanyi Symposium posts, Three Kingdoms (2010) dialogue, Three Kingdoms movies, Dynasty Warriors dialogue, popular culture or just random historical stuff. I think I made around 75 events.

I posted some of my earliest event creations on YouTube and put them in a playlist.

It's fun playing again and running into the events randomly throughout the game because quite a few I had forgotten I made.

In hindsight, I sincerely wish I had just played on PC. Koei's event sharing is terrible, you can only share one event at a time. If it was on PC, sharing would be easier. And like other RotK games, as time passes the modding community will make PC more and more desirable and there is no way I'm going to recreate 75 events and hundreds of messages.

Zyzyfer wrote:Playing Meng Huo in 219 as a bandit, hoping to recreate the Nanman Rebellion. Liu Bei finally croaks in 226. Liu Shan first offers the Hex Mark to me (setting his status to Awe). Then he offers me Shu.

Wow. Can't say I've ever seen such a big force ask for me to rule as a free officer. It makes sense though given how the game operates. I think the biggest force I've ever accepted is Shi Xie's southern coast.

l3wis 1337 wrote:Is anyone else having trouble earning the trophy on PSN for getting a free officer up to rank 1? I have done this twice now and the achievement still hasn't popped... :cry:

That's weird. I don't recall having any issues with that one. I checked if I kept the auto-generated screenshot that may have given a clue how I did it, but it looks like I deleted it.

The only glitch I experienced with achievements is I completed "Master of the Three Kingdoms" and it registered on PSN, but not the in-game counterpart.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms