RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 10)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby rk47 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:30 am

Negotiation is an optional skill, but having a high negotiation skill meant you need to convince less people to get a diplomatic mission % to be successful.

And thanks to 'no cooldown' on diplomatic missions - if you are a ruler or war minister, feel free to exploit the Bond or 'Grateful and Interest' system to get infinite endorsement to bankrupt an empire.

I did that with Guan Du scenario with events disabled as Liu Bei since Cao Cao has Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and my two wives, I have no issue in getting endorsements. Eventually he bankrupted on supplies and got destroyed by Yuan Shao's offensive.

The above is one of the most broken strategy in RTK13 bar none.
Even a low intelligent person like Yang Song can get alliance secured with gift bribes.

As for the 'Siege Tower' is ineffective. It's possible that you already have such a lethal mix of officers that siege towers made no difference. Cao Cao's batch of officer is pr. ridiculous - with Chen Deng/Zhang Liao's strategy and an all horse army - there's no chance of losing most battles.

Sun Ce's entire army, backed with Han Dang's Desperation command can also easily carve into Liu Biao's garbage Bow-Fetish army within a year. I don't know what's the deal with KOEI making 'group buff' being this overpowered - but RTK13 battles are less about units and more about abusing super commands.

And to pile on the advantage to the victors - if you have relatives as captives, release them and redeem the 2 debts they owe to demand a supply tribute - this kills the enemy's army deployment dead while you can keep marching on with the supplies.

More also need to be said about how poor other units compared to the cavalry.
High speed horsemen bullies the battlefield with higher attack power and mobility.
It's so frustrating when your spears can't catch up to the enemy to flank and prevent a retreat.
And whoever thought it was okay for horsemen to climb siege ladder needs to get their head checked.
rk47
Student

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:47 am

rk47 wrote:Negotiation is an optional skill, but having a high negotiation skill meant you need to convince less people to get a diplomatic mission % to be successful.

So you mean it boosts the bonus from officer letters?

And thanks to 'no cooldown' on diplomatic missions...

Yes I've noticed this, with anything that deploys officers out of the city essentially.

More also need to be said about how poor other units compared to the cavalry.
High speed horsemen bullies the battlefield with higher attack power and mobility.
It's so frustrating when your spears can't catch up to the enemy to flank and prevent a retreat.
And whoever thought it was okay for horsemen to climb siege ladder needs to get their head checked.

Yes the game favors horses, I've tried spears but horses are OP. They even march faster on the main map...
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:45 pm

I definitely remember Liu Biao using nothing but bows all the time. Not sure if he's programmed for that or just did it because he has nothing but Bow apts. Cao Cao spammed cavalary when I fought him with Sun Ce.

I mostly used balanced armies and haven't noticed anything special from horses, since they got hit by Strikes when fighting spears--are they just that good if you spam them?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xian Xu » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:56 pm

Gray Riders wrote:I definitely remember Liu Biao using nothing but bows all the time. Not sure if he's programmed for that or just did it because he has nothing but Bow apts.

My guess was always that it's simply because Liu Biao's officers don't have enough variety.

Liu Biao's military officers are higher graded at bow than spear or cavalry, with the exception of Liu Pan and Wen Pin. My assumption (haven't looked closely) has always been the CPU just choses to train bow because that's what they're graded high at, then chooses bow units because that's what's been trained and the officers have higher grades at. It's even worse if Liu Biao changes the military minister to Gan Ning or Huang Zhong, because the bow training would exacerbate the problem.

rk47 wrote:And whoever thought it was okay for horsemen to climb siege ladder needs to get their head checked.

That's always driven me nuts.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:36 am

Zyzyfer wrote:So you mean it boosts the bonus from officer letters?

It boosts the starting point of negotiation.
With Negotiation 9 - it's not unusual to have around 30-40% filled up upon starting a mission.

Gray Riders wrote:I mostly used balanced armies and haven't noticed anything special from horses, since they got hit by Strikes when fighting spears--are they just that good if you spam them?

Horse Army with 'Ultimate Strategy' backing them is almost invincible. The trick here is to engage when strategy is active and pull back when strategy is inactive. You cannot do this with other units since their mobility is limited. Horses can pick their battles.
rk47
Student

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:48 am

So, does anyone know what "Strategy Genius" does? City officers gain maximum troops and morale?
rk47 wrote:Horse Army with 'Ultimate Strategy' backing them is almost invincible. The trick here is to engage when strategy is active and pull back when strategy is inactive. You cannot do this with other units since their mobility is limited. Horses can pick their battles.

By "Ultimate Strategy" are you referring to a particular tactic or just the generally overpowered group buffs like Desperation Command?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:36 am

Gray Riders wrote:So, does anyone know what "Strategy Genius" does? City officers gain maximum troops and morale?
rk47 wrote:Horse Army with 'Ultimate Strategy' backing them is almost invincible. The trick here is to engage when strategy is active and pull back when strategy is inactive. You cannot do this with other units since their mobility is limited. Horses can pick their battles.

By "Ultimate Strategy" are you referring to a particular tactic or just the generally overpowered group buffs like Desperation Command?

Overpowered group buff like Desperation Command, of course.
Everyone prepare to attack - gather - focus on one enemy - activate command.
Decimated
Decimated
Command duration ends.
Pull back all troops.
Regroup until strategy bars restored.
Re-engage.
Repeat.

KOEI really screwed up balance with 'strategies' in this game and it shows. Playing as Yuan Shao, there is no reason you should lose any battle in the north at all. Even without your best officers - Yuan Shao can single-handedly turn battles around with his Aura of Splendor.
rk47
Student

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:05 am

OK I finally fiddled with it. Strategy Genius gives everyone it affects a boost of 3000 to max troops (so Overawe), and I can't tell precisely, but something like 20-30 extra points to the max morale of units. Seems to stack with Overawe, etc.

...are they just that good if you spam them?

Yeah pretty much. They're fast and deal high damage, a bunch of elite spears on great commanders might give them pause but that's about it. They really shouldn't be able to climb walls...

It boosts the starting point of negotiation.
With Negotiation 9 - it's not unusual to have around 30-40% filled up upon starting a mission.

That's what I had thought, but when I checked on a neutral enemy force, each level only gave 1%. I will have to look more closely, it may encounter a multiplier with friendly forces?

=====

I am finally getting around to reverting all the siege adds to the first half of the officer list, and changing them to weapons. But since weapons is already rare, most officers that get it are getting between 1-3 levels only.

Gongsun Zan ended up with Weapons 3, I thought that was neat.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rk47 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

Gongsun clan lacks a good strategy to succeed in battles.
His clan's Horse Aptitude can't save him.
I tried playing him and was disgusted at how crap the overall performance was.
rk47
Student

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:59 pm

rk47 wrote:Gongsun clan lacks a good strategy to succeed in battles.
His clan's Horse Aptitude can't save him.
I tried playing him and was disgusted at how crap the overall performance was.

Well, Gongsun Zan is designed to lose 9 out of ten times unless you give him at least some decent officers. I will admit sometimes Yuan Shao has more trouble then he should with Gongsun but usually he just railroads over him.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms