RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:38 am

DragonAtma wrote:E3 is June 16-18; we'll likely hear some news on rotk13, especially since it's out only six months afterwards.

When did they start? That sounds like a short development cycle. :shock:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:12 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:To be honest the big thing I am waiting for about RoTK 13 is clarification on the "officer mode" I want to know if I can truly play as different ranks or if it is some kind of skirmish mode where you can take control over a general and try to win a battle that they won or lost.

Considering ROTK XII, it might be the second, honestly. That seems kind of in the trend they've been doing, from what I see.

That is what I am afraid of. I really miss being able to play as an officer, I am always tempted to buy a preowned PS2 and find RTK 10 to relive it, however the frighteningly bad AI was always an issue. I remember having to fight so many defensive battles later on due to your allies being unable to win battles even when they had the numerical advantage on the defense. That is the main reason why I haven't done it yet.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valshier » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:24 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:
Bush Leagues wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:To be honest the big thing I am waiting for about RoTK 13 is clarification on the "officer mode" I want to know if I can truly play as different ranks or if it is some kind of skirmish mode where you can take control over a general and try to win a battle that they won or lost.

Considering ROTK XII, it might be the second, honestly. That seems kind of in the trend they've been doing, from what I see.

That is what I am afraid of. I really miss being able to play as an officer, I am always tempted to buy a preowned PS2 and find RTK 10 to relive it, however the frighteningly bad AI was always an issue. I remember having to fight so many defensive battles later on due to your allies being unable to win battles even when they had the numerical advantage on the defense. That is the main reason why I haven't done it yet.

I love X, but indeed the AI was a bit dim, and siege towers + direct was ridiculous and destroyed everything. I heard they addressed some of this in the PUK version we never got. Anyone able to confirm that about the PUK version?
"So long a man has ability, I can use him." - Cao Cao
Valshier
Initiate

Unread postby Calamitus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:06 pm

No. I played PUK version, AI is very dumb (it cant defend even the most protected city) and siege towers can destroy everything (you can deploy them even on walls, that's just ridiculous). Also, don't forget transport system with instant teleportation.
Calamitus
Apprentice

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:27 pm

Calamitus wrote:No. I played PUK version, AI is very dumb (it cant defend even the most protected city) and siege towers can destroy everything (you can deploy them even on walls, that's just ridiculous). Also, don't forget transport system with instant teleportation.

Heh yeah, conquer a city, well I need more troops. BAM! Within a single day I moved tens of thousands of soldiers across the entire country to my city. Excellent the attack can continue!
Sigh, each game comes with its ups and downs. This new one will to, I am sure.

I really want more info on the new game. Each time I see that this thread has a new post I secretly hope there is new information.....then my hopes are dashed :-P :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:17 am

X is probably my least favorite of the 5 versions I've played. Not enough field battles. Almost always a siege if you were the aggressor, so if you wanted field battles, you'd have to march out when on the defensive.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 am

Huang Bob wrote:X is probably my least favorite of the 5 versions I've played. Not enough field battles. Almost always a siege if you were the aggressor, so if you wanted field battles, you'd have to march out when on the defensive.

Yeah, the scripted field battles (Yi Ling, Wu Zhang) were fun to do for that reason, you didn't have to siege a city.

I think my favorite battles were 7's. They had the cool strategy thing with the forts, and you just moved on to the siege if it was appropriate. I liked that you could do different strategies for different situations. If you wanted to avoid a siege because you didn't bring equipment, go with penetrate and keep their morale high enough so they don't run to the castle. Don't want to engage the army directly? Go with surround, avoid the main keep, and have their morale plummet so they fall back. Very cool. To my knowledge, it hasn't been duplicated since.

But I also really like the tactics system of 8. Not just "you know this tactic" but you had to account for weather, terrain, and skill with that particular tactic, and it compiled a percentage chance of success. I really enjoy some random chance in battles, it's important to true strategy.

Honestly, X's battles would be OK if it just made a few key changes to the system. I know a few of those changes, and others might know more, but there's just a few serious issues, some changes for balance, and then more field battles, and you'll be good to go.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:03 pm

As there is still no new information I will just ramble more about things I would love but probably will not be in RTK 13.
As I have always wanted a multiplayer function I would love to ask the forum something. As it is possible for a skilled player (not me) to win these games with almost any faction (Yan Baihu for the win!) having two or more people playing would make the game almost trivial if they were cooperating for most of the game.
Does anyone have any ideas that would make the game interesting and challenging if lets say we had two players whose plan was to cooperate for the entire game?
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:43 pm

There actually has been new info, just no translation to be found yet. Seems to be about relationships, battles and city management.
Some characters have domestic and battle portraits and the number of cities has been increased to 60.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby squall leonhart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:10 pm

Does anyone have any ideas that would make the game interesting and challenging if lets say we had two players whose plan was to cooperate for the entire game?

Just an idea :
First player is a normal Ruler
But second player is a subordinate officer

For the first player, the game is strategy but for the second player the game is action and fighting
First person must concentrate on conquering the whole china while the second player is taking care of the tasks inside of the city (Civil officer) or maybe fight in the battlefield (Military officer)
squall leonhart
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms