RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:37 am

So I was getting bored of the game, when I realized: "Maybe it's because I keep playing as a warrior."

It was true. In every playthrough, I'm either a Military Official or my own Force. I'm always fighting and dueling, rising up in rank and winning battles for my faction. This time, I decided to do something different. I was going to play as a female character, and no fighting.

So what the heck would I be doing? I'd be a Trader.

I thought it'd be boring, not being a part of the fighting, and just buying and selling things. I was proven wrong. Rather than dueling a lot, I'm debating a lot, and I mean A LOT. Thankfully my character has decent INT and Orator skills. Also, I'm playing one of the DLC scenarios from Steam. This one is called "Battle for the Han Court". Long story short, Dong Zhuo is killed by Lu Bu as is normal, and Emperor Xian tries to escape but dies by a stray arrow. Whoops!

Yuan Shu declares himself emperor...and so does Liu Yu. And Liu Yan. Oh, and Yuan Shao (w/Liu Bei) join with Liu Yu, Sun Ce and Lu Bu work for Yuan Shu, and Cao Cao is caught in the middle all alone. Things get chaotic real fast and it's pretty fun to watch.

The whole world is fighting each other, cities are being beseiged, and here I am just selling things and making a profit. When there's an abundant harvest, I can buy supplies for cheaper. When there's a disaster, I can sell high. Eventually I got to the point where I can invest in a ruler's force, and even use my influence to negotiate between two forces and get them to ceasefire if I so choose. So far, it's fun. Me and my buddy Zhuge Jin (who was a free officer) are making some mighty good coin in this crazy world!

YEAH! WHO RUN BARTER TOWN?

Sorry. Had to do it.
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby agga » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:30 pm

PeanutButterToast wrote: This one is called "Battle for the Han Court". Long story short, Dong Zhuo is killed by Lu Bu as is normal, and Emperor Xian tries to escape but dies by a stray arrow. Whoops!

Yuan Shu declares himself emperor...and so does Liu Yu. And Liu Yan. Oh, and Yuan Shao (w/Liu Bei) join with Liu Yu, Sun Ce and Lu Bu work for Yuan Shu, and Cao Cao is caught in the middle all alone. Things get chaotic real fast and it's pretty fun to watch.

I hadn't seen this before but it sounds really good.. gonna try it out when I get a chance. And it's free!
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:10 pm

agga wrote:
PeanutButterToast wrote: This one is called "Battle for the Han Court". Long story short, Dong Zhuo is killed by Lu Bu as is normal, and Emperor Xian tries to escape but dies by a stray arrow. Whoops!

I hadn't seen this before but it sounds really good.. gonna try it out when I get a chance. And it's free!

How is it so far?
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Aygor » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:41 pm

I went on to play several games, here's my impressions.

XIII is incredibly immersive and allows for a much more diverse and flexible experience than XI. For as much as I love XI (which is a much more polished game, and does a better job achieving its intent), I am ultimately finding XIII more enjoyable.
It surprised me how fun this game is with a created character. Playing existing officers, I somehow feel bound to their historical motives, limiting my options.
There is immense variability in how you can influence the campaign progression, allowing vastly different playthroughs of the same scenarios. Prestige titles add flavour to characters and help favouring certain approaches over others. There's good options as an independent officer as well, allowing for great flexibility however you feel about going with your game.
This game heavily favours delegating control and spreading your best officials across your territory. Coming from XI, it surprises me how much more I enjoy this approach.
While I do not appreciate the fixed routes in the map (at least, I would like there to be different paths and different terrains. Having the ability to move up/down rivers would also make river battles meaningful), I think the war side works well. Tactics and abilities spice things up and can make for fun and tense clashes. Controlled battles become a formality after accessing the top officers, however that is not worse than it was in XI.
The infamous "cooldown" effect during your character's activities doesn't bother me anymore as well. I already had the habit in XI to stop and check on other forces, thinking about my next moves: real "dead" time mostly makes that smoother, once you get used to the timing.

I still am not a fan of how some RPG elements have been handled. Some aspects about friendship and children are more SIM than RPG to me, and I find this a little icky.

Sadly the game is deeply flawed making it hard to recommend this game to non RotK fans or even simply to more ruler oriented players than myself.
The English localization is dreadful, from typos in city names to sentences so ungrammatical they end up implying the exact opposite of their intended meaning.
Best graphical settings are notorious for causing crashes and other bugs, movies may not play on certain screen dimensions, slowdowns can randomly occur even if your machine more than meets this game's requirements.
Tutorials and help pages do an awful job explaining things. After more than 200 hours I honestly still have questions the answer of which can't be found in game.
The interface is badly done, from its layout making information harder to access (e.g. only 6 officers visible at a time in menu lists) to cumbersome choices making simple actions harder than they should (e.g. as a ruler, having to seize your own items to award them to officers).
Many aspects of this game, both on the RPG and on the strategical side, are quite simplified. Considering the stunning amount of content the PUK adds to the game (I compared the base and expansion manuals out of curiosity), I would not even consider the vanilla version a finished product.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby PeanutButterToast » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:07 pm

So I finished my playthrough as an independent merchant and took the prestige White Dragon. The ending was...less than spectacular. My character and my BFF Zhuge Jin end up reaching the goal of 500,000 gold and somehow that magically ends all of the fighting because everybody decides to become more invested in trading and business instead. China is still divided, but at peace. There's no reunification. Everything just stops.

Then in the final cutscene, my character isn't satisfied with being the richest person in all of China and
They set off on a business voyage to Japan.

Wtf?
PeanutButterToast
Initiate

Unread postby Aygor » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:17 pm

I have few questions about the game, in case anyone can help=)

What is the practical effect of raising the proficiency of private troops?
It doesn't influence which troop tier you have access to, so I assume your unit will just have better stats, is that correct?

What happens if your character marries officers who would historically be married with children, e.g. Bu Lianshi?
Will her historical children not appear or will they appear without her listed as a parent?

Can a character listed as a civil officer get involved in random duels during battle or not at all? Does timid personality have the same effect on military officers (that is, no duels)?

In general, do different personalities affect gameplay?

EDIT: More questions :wink:

What is the purpose of the mountains highlighted in the map?
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby DangerWorldWide » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Aygor

Raising private troop proficiency increases what units you can use if you're just using private troops. The interactions don't make any real sense but here's what I've figured out playing around. If you have ANY private troops, you gain benefits from Eminent General or Illustrious General (increase to ATK/DEF of your unit). However, if you have ANY city troops, what you can deploy with is limited to the city stats. If you deploy with only private troops and have 2k+ proficiency in spears, you can deploy with Elite Spears.

That's all I got so far as your questions.

I will say, making a strategy from Bow of the Heavens, and turning all the effects up to 100, makes for a completely game-breaking strategy. You can take 10k bows up against a 25k army led by Yuan Shao and evaporate his whole army without losing a single soldier.
DangerWorldWide
Apprentice

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:13 pm

Civil officers will not participate in duels. Neither Guo Jia, nor Jia Xu ever participated in duels in my playthroughs. They also get fetch quests instead of duel quests from fighters. Prestige doesn't matter in that regard. You can make Guo Jia a commander and he will still not participate in duels.

Some of the special places are highlighted on the map for education purposes I believe. Maybe KOEI wanted to design some quests, but then abandoned the idea.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms