RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:47 pm

I had events on, and I think Changban already triggered. There are 2 scenarios, one on 207 that portrays the recruitment of Zhuge Liang, and another on 208 which is right before the Kongming debate, so I think the battle of Changban doesn't appear in this particular case, though I could be wrong, I don't really remember.

I did have events on, but that didn't prevent Cao Cao from attacking me. Though truth be told, after Chi Bi I started taking cities, precisely because I was so scared of Cao Cao that I didn't dre to sit on just 2 settlements and wanted to take as much land as possible to build a power base. Should I have let it be and just focused on building myself up? I didn't do that because, appart from building a powerbase, I was not sure if taking Yi was an event or just something you had to do manually, so I was preparing for conquering historical Shu territory. If that's the case, then I'll try again, since I think it will be a cool challenge.

Have you successfully unified the land with either Shu or Wu in one of the later scenarios? Because it does seem like quite the task :lol:
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:03 am

I get it now. Honestly I am not totally sure what actions Liu Bei is supposed to take to keep the event train rolling. In the vanilla game, after Chibi goes down, that was it for the events. Now I believe that Liu Bei has to actively take southern Jing (aka the four southern lords). Cao Cao is supposed to get tied down over events with the Ma Clan (these can trigger super early). And then I guess by 212 (possibly earlier, again) Liu Bei gets one big Yi invasion event. Playing as Liu Bei to win, that's probably your ideal point to break off from events.

I did have events on, but that didn't prevent Cao Cao from attacking me.

It's supposed to, but this game has some notoriously fickle events. The moment you do anything off (ex: take Yongan too early, or recruit the wrong officer), the chain is broken and the AI will play normally. If I have some free time I may have to run a "simulation" to refresh my memory on how Liu Bei responds post-Chibi...but I'm fairly sure it's just take out the four southern lords and then idle until the Yi event becomes available.

Have you successfully unified the land with either Shu or Wu in one of the later scenarios? Because it does seem like quite the task

I vaguely recall doing Liu Bei post-Chibi, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember any specifics. I used to have this thing where I did Cao/Sun/Liu in every scenario to completion, but no longer have that sort of free time to sit on the PC on my hands. :lol:

I will say that dealing with late-game Cao Cao in this is pretty hard. Anyone who unites the city-dense Neibei and Central Plains has a very distinct advantage that makes it difficult to win without employing some ethically dubious strategies. They really needed to balance things out so Wu and Shu have their own advantages. They attempted to, but it basically backfired. Like with Shu there is a long distance between cities...which takes Shu forces equally as long. And with Wu, yeah they have naval superiority...and no special village units. I've thought about ways to fix it through the editor, but alas.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:37 pm

I unified the land with Liu Bei in the warlords scenario. I was extremely aggressive at first, so I bled a lot of officers since I was expanding quickly and recruiting like crazy. Eventually I took over Wu and part of the central plains, absorbing most of Cao Cao's officers. After that, I just sat there building my strength.

I kind of got into a dead end when I couldn't fight Liu Biao due to ceasefires and was allied with Yuan Shao. At the time of Yuan Shao's death, he owned the north, Jing, Yi and Liang, so I was at a disadvantage. Eventually, after countless battles, I conquered the northern provinces. Executed Yuan Shang in Ye, then Yuan Tan and Yuan Xi at Yi and after that, Wen Chou took over and launched a huge invasion to Chengdu. After I beat them, I could simply force them to surrender and all was well.

Interesting game, but I was definitely overwhelmed by the Yuan and wouldn't think I'd win. Next time I should be careful with allying the powerful. If the balance has to shift in favor of someone, I'd like that to be me :lol:

My next plan is to play as an officer and work my way to the top, by rebelling later down the line or whatever.
Qin Feng
Assistant

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:35 am

Small word of caution about going the rebelling route: the Viceroy post is super OP in some ways, if done a certain way, you can basically usurp total power from your predecessor in the revolt. Make sure you do a base save before you start the overall process so that you don't inadvertently do your revolt wrong.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby agga » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:mall word of caution about going the rebelling route: the Viceroy post is super OP in some ways, if done a certain way, you can basically usurp total power from your predecessor in the revolt.

I did this in one of my favorite XIII games: started as a wife of Zhang Jiao (Ban Shi) - he died and the Yellow Turbans were defeated, and I was recruited into He Jin's army; eventually got into Dong Zhuo's army, where I got him to marry me, meanwhile making tons of friends and eventually becoming his viceroy. When he died and Dong Min took over, we had all of the central plains, had been making inroads on Yuan Shao, Sun Ce had taken the south, but Dong Min wasn't making any moves... so Ban Shi requested as much of Dong Min's territory as she had Best-Friends-or-better to place as governor, and revolted. There was a little civil war, Dong Min was killed and Niu Jin wound up holed up in Xibei for a few more years, but Ban Shi went on to dominate all competitors and eventually become Empress. It was a fun game, I remember the final campaign was with Sun Ce/Quan, and they were vicious - executed a couple of Ban Shi's bosom buddies including Cao Cao and Xun Yu.
造反有理!
agga
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DangerWorldWide » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 am

I'm curious if the private troop prestige(s) are as overpowered as I think they are. Seeing as most battles I've seen, granted they have all been early game in the 2nd scenario, troop numbers are fairly low. If you can max your troops to your command limit via private troops, that seems ridiculously powerful. But maybe I'm mistaken and by the time that has come about, cities would be developed to the point where officers should have max troops. I don't know, if someone has some experience with these elements of the game, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
DangerWorldWide
Apprentice

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Hmm the one private troop prestige that immediately comes to mind as probably being overpowered is the one Sun Jian has, that prestige basically lets you build up troops and gold for free since all you have to do is run to a key point outside of your city and spam the hunting contest option. I haven't tried out every single prestige but most of the private troop ones require you to spend gold to build up your army. Which is easy up to the initial 10k limit, but then you have to drop big chunks of cash to raise it further. Which is no problem for whatever that prestige tree is that Sun Jian follows, since he gets free gold.

And yeah, with most of the prestiges, by the time you unlock the final level, you are pretty far into the game. The benefits are nice, but usually the cities and forces are nice and built up by that point. So while the private troop prestiges will eventually give you a large boost to a few of your comrade-led units, if you try to sit way down in Yi or something and let Cao Cao or the like grow in power, you will still probably have a rough go overcoming that.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xian Xu » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I've played this game a lot and recently for my own amusement, I made a custom Bow of Heaven strategy where I increased the range to the maximum. It is absolutely ridiculous, in a siege battle it can take down the main base from outside the walls and the animation is quite silly as well. The trajectory on the arrow bursts on long-range volleys is steep.

Since then I've been trying to brainstorm silly strategies I could make. Was wondering if anyone had stumbled into one?
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

Unread postby Li_Shengsun » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 am

been played for quite long time, i still confused on how the customs event work :?

looking at the sample event is fine, but the sample are mostly a simple one like brotherhood or marriage. not like making some forces surrender to you or preventing someone from certain death. they're just too complicated beyond my knowledge. :(

btw is theres any places where i could find good background for my custom officer's portrait? or how i could make one without taking the existing portrait and deleted the officer to make one?
Everyone has flaws. It's a matter of finding the ones you can live with.
Li_Shengsun
Initiate

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:35 am

The trigger conditions are quite powerful but I get how they can seem confusing.

A simple one is you can have one that works on a probability (I think it's out of 1000) and can be a generic event that randomly pops up.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms