RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am

Yeah, I actually intended to keep Xu province and not give it up to Lu Bu. My plan is to make firends with Yuan Shao and try to eat Cao Cao slowly, at least the cities in the Yellow River to cut Yuan Shao's advance, but I wonder how that will turn out. Another option is turning off events and destroy Cao Cao as soon as Lu Bu appears (which would be the beginning of warlords scenario).

Another thing I intended to do is play historically and found Shu, but Liu Biao tends to be quite strong and when Chi Bi happened, you're screwed since Cao Cao gets everything.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Liu Bei post-Chibi isn't actually weak, you can pretty easily secure Jing after the last event fires because Cao Cao just has too many fronts at that point. Plus Jing will be loaded so you should catch up fast. But getting everything to follow events for that long will be a bigger challenge, I made it all the way to the Chibi string as Liu Bei and Cao Cao just to have things break a bit before Chibi itself.

Personally if I were doing Xu Liu Bei, I would strike when Cao Cao is weak. I believe all you have to do to break an event is be in a controlled battle at the time.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:30 pm

I started a game as Sun Ce as well since I always liked playing as him and switching over to Sun Quan after his death. This time, I planned on keeping him as my character, from the anti dong Zhuo coalition. And boy, he kicks ass. He's basically a Lu Bu that doesn't suck in the civil part of stats.

What happened was actually quite interesting. When I was under Yuan Shu, there were several attacks from Liu Biao. I managed to kill Huang Zu, but also killed Liu Biao himself. This caused his successor Liu Qi to declare me his archenemy. Fast forward to my independence, I can't expand anywhere because the grudge holding Liu Qi wants to destroy me and attacked me all the time I wanted to expand. So my option was, seeing that diplomacy was useless, conquering all of Jing with just 20 thousand men, and I did quite a good job.

In the north, Cao Cao struggled with Yuan Shao, so when the conflict got critical, I invaded him and timed it so that I would be the one to finish Cao Cao off.

It's the year 200 and now I'm sitting in the middle of the map, allied with Liu Bei, with the largest army and looking to attack Yuan Shao, who is getting DESTROYED at Tong Gate by Ma Teng. Also, Cao Cao now works for me, so I am pretty sure I will be able to succeed in unifying all of China (everyone wants to be my friend too, which will make it much easier).
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:09 am

Sun Ce can be quite a powerhouse, yes. The only real problem for him is the same as Shu, some of those far-off cities (like Jianan) require long marches to get anywhere. But once you secure Jing, while not quite as dense as up north, you still have a pretty stable block of cities that you can mount assaults from.

-----

I have been playing a game off and on as Cao Ang. I was hoping to just follow historical events, have a few kiddos, and naturally take things over as Cao Cao's oldest down the road after training up some, but Cao Cao had other ideas and basically broke some future events by taking Luoyang way too early, and then because future stuff was somehow broken by doing this, he went ahead and swallowed Tao Qian on up. I am wondering if attending councils has anything to do with this, because these Very Bad Things for maintaining an event line tended to come up in councils as suggestions. Maybe as the player, it's better to decline to attend them.

Anyway I was appointed as governor of Luoyang for a while. Have befriended Dian Wei and Guo Jia, set Cao Anmin as a comrade as well. So yeah my theme is befriending those who died before their time. Dian Wei provided me with all three of my wives. Later, once it was very clear that events were broken, I went ahead and took out Zhang Ji, and then got appointed to govern Hongnong.

And that's about it. Since my gaming time has been cut back from what it used to be, I tend to favor more hands-off games right now, where I can pop on for a couple of hours, do some basic stuff, quit, and come back two weeks later able to pick right up where I left off. I am kind of sad that Cao Cao insists on blobbing, though, because it probably means the game will end well before 220.

One interesting side note is that I added a ton of extra officers from an officer pack I got over on Steam. I think it adds another 200+ missing officers to the game. While they are a pain to place, my hope is that I can just use Van's Editor to change the main character and keep a master save for each of the scenarios.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 pm

Yeah, I might try that too since uniting China is kind of a chore. I managed to unify the land with Sun Ce, but even after becoming the emperor I still had to deal with Liu Bei, Ma Teng and the Yuans in the north, and none of them would surrender.

Still, it was a cool game, and also very intense. Most of the time, I was at war. After subduing Cao Cao, I slowed down a bit and built up my strength, but eventually Yuan Shao called a coalition against me and basically had to conquer Sichuan and the south to get some breathing room, and after that it was me stemarolling the rest.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 am

The one pro about the simplified city development and viceroys actually being competent (well, within reason...) is that once you start approaching the end game portion of play, you can basically autopilot through the last 1/4 or so of the map, when victory is basically guaranteed anyway, by setting all of your cities under viceroys and just issuing district objectives. Another trick to speed that part up is to just send your ruler out of the city and have them just stand around - this does away with those pesky personal mini-missions that you get based on your prestige when you are sitting around in your city.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:52 am

I tried playing Liu Bei in the battle of Chibi scenario and it's not really a good starting position :lol:
I got completely screwed by the floods and attacked by Cao Cao. I got some impressive victories, defeating a force of 80 thousand with 20 thousand and even defeating an army of 40 thousand with a mere 4 thousand troops, but they just keep going and the endless waves are a complete pain to deal with. Not to mention the floods hit me AGAIN in all my domains and couldn't do anything about it.
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:56 am

Qin Feng wrote:I tried playing Liu Bei in the battle of Chibi scenario and it's not really a good starting position :lol:
I got completely screwed by the floods and attacked by Cao Cao. I got some impressive victories, defeating a force of 80 thousand with 20 thousand and even defeating an army of 40 thousand with a mere 4 thousand troops, but they just keep going and the endless waves are a complete pain to deal with. Not to mention the floods hit me AGAIN in all my domains and couldn't do anything about it.

Did you have events off?

"Chibi" is generally a challenge in most games in the series, and I forget if the scenario you played is before or after the Chibi event string. If it is after, then yeah you basically have to quickly tear through southern Jing somehow before Cao Cao gets his empire up and running, and if you have that then it may be possible to utilize the bottleneck created by Xinye to stand your ground while developing Jing.

If you just sit in Jiangxia, you will definitely be overcome. You really need the rest of Jing + silver/gold troops.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:
Qin Feng wrote:I tried playing Liu Bei in the battle of Chibi scenario and it's not really a good starting position :lol:

Did you have events off?

"Chibi" is generally a challenge in most games in the series, and I forget if the scenario you played is before or after the Chibi event string. If it is after, then yeah you basically have to quickly tear through southern Jing somehow before Cao Cao gets his empire up and running, and if you have that then it may be possible to utilize the bottleneck created by Xinye to stand your ground while developing Jing.

If you just sit in Jiangxia, you will definitely be overcome. You really need the rest of Jing + silver/gold troops.

I did have events on. The scenario is called the battle of Chibi, which happens right after the battle of Changban, so I got 2 cities and enjoyed some peace after I got attacked. I felt like I could have held my ground, but boy, after the endless onslaught, what would have happened? I'd be attacked again, unable to move because Cao Cao has all of northern China. It's crazy.

I started again in the warlords scenario and quickly took over the East as Liu Bei. Now, Cao Cao and I have roughly the same strength, but Cao Cao is quickly expanding towards Liang. My plan is to be in good terms with Yuan Shao so that we can sandwich Cao Cao and then the rest of the land is up for grabs. I seem to be doing alright, and even hired the mighty Lu Bu, but I expanded so quickly that I just didn't have the time to raise my officer's loyalty and I'm bleeding personnel, some of them really good like Zhang Liao. When the time comes and I capture them, I will show them the true meaning of "Benevolence" :lol:
Qin Feng
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 pm

It sounds like you've moved on but...isn't Changban one of the first events in the Chibi chain? My reason for asking if you had events on is that you can sit back and let them trigger, and the AI won't (or at least shouldn't) attack you. As long as the conditions were right, you could have rode the event train until you had Yizhou, then derailed it prior to Guan Yu's death. (There are negatives to doing this, but you'd at least get a long game out of it.)

If the chain was only at Changban and you started taking cities...then yeah...Cao Cao flattens you like the steamrolled kid in Maximum Overdrive...
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms