RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK XIII thread

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Right, since most of the large forces are run by the "never surrender" types, all you usually get offers from are small regional factions. I think only late scenarios afford you solid opportunities to take up something bigger.

I dabbled around with the event editor but haven't really felt inspired to make anything substantial. To be honest I am always making little tweaks and working on other ongoing "projects" (I just did a fairly significant forte overhaul, for example) and it's hard to secure large chunks of time like I had while revising XI. Plus there are things like knowing there is a method to make the event dialogue look right with some particular code, but not knowing how to relocate it and such.

I think the English editing community for XIII is toast, though. :(

(It also doesn't help that the scenario files are tied to Steam and all your work on Van's editor can be reset with a simple update)
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:04 am

In general I think rotk13 is an above average game. But only with a PUK. I'd still rather play rotk8 though.
One thing that really annoys me is inconsistency with models during debates. Completely breaks immersion when you look absolutely different in debates.
There certainly are some very serious exploits that completely break the game as well. Most of them happen when you pause the manual battle, quit it and then come back. The siege weaponry build timer is restarted for example. The bonus from music towers is reapplied again. The tactics are cancelled in vanilla ( I think the PUK somewhat fixed that). But the most op exploit i've seen is the fact that the special prestige skills (that are supposed to activate only once in the start) actually trigger every time you quit/reenter the battle. Guo Jia, for example, can easily destroy the whole armies on his own by triggering his special wiles prestige skill every time he quits/reenters the battle. There's only one thing better than Lockdown...unlimited no recharge time Lockdown and he can do it :lol:
Anyway I like the game in general. I agree that charging full price for a PUK is not exactly a very nice business practice, but I'd definitely not advise to play the vanilla on it's own. I'd rather pay double and get something I like then get something I don't want just because it's cheaper.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:05 pm

There is also the pincer reset when you return to a control battle, although making full use of it is really tedious. I'm not familiar with Guo Jia's prestige, I may have to mess around with that for fun.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:44 pm

Btw, does anyone actually fight the naval battles manually? I gonna be honest, I either autoresolve them or avoid completely. While the PUK has improved the land battles significantly, the same cannot be said about the fighting on water.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:21 am

Naval battles: I try to avoid them if fighting Wu, but will do a control battle if I have the option or if it's going to be large casualties. Usually in the north though, you can let them auto-resolve without issue.

I would like them more if most strategies weren't rendered useless.

The morale drain on those with no Naval is also pretty mean...you can go into battle with an otherwise perfectly good army and still sustain pretty bad casualties because your units run out of morale over and over.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:25 pm

How on Earth do I do anything as Liu Bei in the Warlords scenario? This is really annoying me. Cao Cao gets so many events that he triples his territories with ease. It's impossible to fight them, especially since Yuan Shao is allied to them. What I did in that game was following history and then refuse to attack Yuan Shu so that my lands weren't taken by Lu Bu. Eventually managed to defeat Lu Bu and I retook Xu province, everything was cool.

Then Sun Ce with his massive army attacked and I was screwed.
So I restarted. This time I ignored Lu Bu. Cao Cao took Puyang, I took Runan (I think that was the one Lu Bu has) and Qiao, that was a free city. But guess what, Cao Cao declares war on me and it's imossible to get them to ceasefire before they take Qiao.
So basically I have no clue. Can anyone recommend me some officer and scenario? I want a balanced game in which nobody holds too much power, and preferably I'd like to play as one of the main characters. Not too easy, not too hard. I'd prefer a ruler as well, since I have never been an officer before and I don't know what is the best way to play them.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 am

How about turning events off? Or historical trends?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qin Feng » Tue May 01, 2018 11:00 am

I did not want to do it, because I think they add flavor, but I guess I have no other choice. Seriously, it's so crazy lmao. They could have done it like in Nobunaga's Ambition and make it missions instead of getting cities for free.
Qin Feng
Apprentice

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue May 01, 2018 2:38 pm

For Liu Bei your best bet is to get in a good position using events then break history to stop them. Basically right after you take over Xu you need to somehow stop the plot from advancing. It can be very hard as the cities tend to be underdeveloped right after you take over the cities. Especially if you gathered up a bunch of officers in the early phases of the game, you tend to be paying out more money then you are taking in.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue May 01, 2018 7:09 pm

I like historic events. Wei all the way :twisted:
I don't remember if Liu Bei is officially in alliance with Cao Cao when battling Lu Bu, but if he does...No one is stopping him from shameless money/supplies robbing through diplomacy. No supplies, no army to deploy. That's how I often keep Yuan Shao in check. Even if I'm no longer allied, he can't really attack me or defend before he fills his granaries again. I usually roll over him as soon as the treaty ends, grabbing 2-3 cities asap with relatively small force.
Alternatively you can deploy 1k useless unit halfway to the city and wait. The AI responds by sending a decent army to defend an outpost from attack that never comes.
You can easily lift a siege from one of your cities by sending a small decoy unit to attack the AI base that is sending troops. I had a good laugh seeing Lu Bu disbanding his whole army and cancelling the siege of Ji Bei every time I'd get to the walls of Xia Pi with 1k decoy unit from other direction. As soon as I saw him disbanding, I'd fall back and wait about 5 days away. Once his army was back in field, my decoy unit was back to harass Xia Pi forcing Lu Bu to disband again. Had fun for like 2 months probably :lol: Allowed my main army to deal with Zhang Xiu and Liu Biao without worrying of being attacked from the east.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms