RTK XIII thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RoTK XIII Announced! Screenshots and Release Date (Dec 1

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:02 pm

I made it up to Xin Ye in my second playthrough with Liu Bei starting from 184 some time ago. Unfortunately because you lack the means to sell supplies for gold and vice-versa I was stuck without a way forward. Oddly enough only the first part of the Zhuge Liang event played out, then I couldn't progress it anymore while my city bled gold until I was in the negative and when Cao Cao marched to end it, Liu Biao sent 80,000 men... of Archers, while my own army was greatly diminished from countless other defenses and that was that. Liu Bei was captured, killed. Then I played as Gan Shi who was with Yuan Shao having been separated from Liu Bei long, long ago (how historical!) Gan Shi was trapped in an endless war over the Baima Port and was positioned in Xiangping under Zhang Yan. Eventually Cao Cao won that war and Gan Shi was captured and executed.

That ended that playthrough. I never thought to solicit gold and supplies from Liu Biao, that makes a lot of sense though.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:12 am

Xu Yuan wrote:That ended that playthrough. I never thought to solicit gold and supplies from Liu Biao, that makes a lot of sense though.

What a sad outcome.

I am quite allergic to diplomacy myself so initially I tossed a chunk of my personal gold reserves - 20k, give or take a few thousand - at personally handling Xinye's development by not reporting the results until a city stat was maxed. I got the city up to almost maxed out "mid" prosperity and yet still couldn't afford the actual salaries. Then I fiddled with the "foreign" tab not long after and suddenly realized, Liu Biao is two days away and good for 5k a pop, why did I endanger myself like this for so long? I guess I like living on the edge.

-----

Liu Bei's events on game took forever in game time to wrap up, at one point I realized I had huge stacks of units just sitting around in cities and had to directly order them to attack. Sun Quan fell without incident. Also, releasing prisoners, if you can afford to not have the personnel, is super duper broken. Case in point, Cao Cao was at -84 relations for a huge chunk of our battle, but when I knew the end was near and started releasing his prisoners, suddenly he flew up to 80.

Anyway, I started Liu Bei's events off game, much like with events on, I used my first privilege to force an attack on Zhongshan. I actually managed to do a decent blitz and net Liu Yan several YT cities last time around, so hopefully I can repeat that and get the northeast under Liu Yan's control before the He Jin war machine gets to grinding. I might even try befriending Liu Yan to see if I can wrest control from his son, which would make things much easier.

=====

Edit: Also, I want to add one more tidbit about Liu Bei with events. The notorious Guan Yu surrenders event negatively impacts Liu Bei in a bunch of ways. But there is one ray of light way at the end of this tunnel. The officers you recruit prior to this event all leave you after this. But since they don't join another force, and instead become free officers, they don't dislike you. Obviously Cao Cao is going to snatch them all up very soon after, but you can recruit them back just fine.

In that vein, another tidbit is that an officer who leaves your force for another force, which then submits to your force, will rejoin your force as if nothing happened (in essence). I learned this as Cao Cao, I recruited some YT officer and Kong Rong lifted him off of me. But when Kong Rong surrendered to me in the To Xuchang event, the officer was right there in Beihai with 100 loyalty.

It's really annoying, what happens with Xu Shu prior to the Three Visits. I guess it makes sense in a way because Xu Shu never returned to Liu Bei, but you can conquer Cao Cao and the dude will still refuse to join you. :x
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:14 am

It makes me really sad because I just worked out like a few days ago that you can sometimes see what your opponent is going to throw at you in duels and debates. I was just doing them blind, and suddenly it's like I have seen the light and can now duel and debate a bit more confidently.

Another thing I also learned, when you throw a banquet, the value of the alcohol actually does have an impact. I'm not 100% sure if it's tied to the cost or the value, but the higher quality alcohol gives you a higher limit of officers that can join the banquet. The cheap stuff might only let 6 people at most join, while with the mid-range booze I was seeing the limit jump up to like 12. So if you need to host a big group, spring for the fancy stuff.

=====

Liu Bei no events 184: I think it's like 187 now. I got stuck at one point using up my privileges to solicit goods from He Jin because I had nothing better to do with my privileges. This gives a lot of merit and created this perpetual circle of rank increases and needing to use up privileges that shot me up to Rank 3 really fast. So if you ever feel like you aren't ranking up fast enough (lol), there you go.

Then later I hit rank 2 and of course Liu Yan is like "be my viceroy lol". But he actually ended up giving me all the cities with officers in them like an idiot, so he was left with himself + 3 ruler ministers in 1 city, and then two other cities with a lone officer. I have been focusing on recruiting and hording talent in preparation for the coming war.

As far as that goes, the YT are down to Wan and I can't see the point in trying to take it since I was only able to push to Xiaopei. We gobbled up much of the north and Liu Yan allied with Gongsun Zan at some point. Even though there are still like two years of ceasefires all around, that alliance will end in a few months and we'll go ahead and swallow The Fatuous One up.

Given all that, while Liu Yan is pretty firmly entrenched up north at the moment, I have my suspicions that we will not be able to take on the juggernaut that is He Jin when the time comes. I mean, I still don't even have enough people who qualify as governors to man all my cities. :|

=====

Edit: What a broken game haha.

Booted up my save and suddenly realized that the YTs in Wan had barely any food. So instead of attempting to pick up the handful of prisoners I had in Xiaopei I went ahead and sent a bunch of light cavalry down and took the city. Then I moved everyone down to Wan/Xiaopei and recruited all the officers. :mrgreen:

I still have a governor issue with only 4 of 6 cities having any officers, but Liu Yan allied with He Jin, and I can theoretically claim all those southern cities if I catch He Jin marching for them, so I am currently in a solid position.

=====

04/10 Edit

So we wiped out Zanny, Ding Yuan, and Sun Jian by taking advantage of the alliance with He Jin. And still had a full 12 months left on the alliance to prepare. When I wrapped up my session the alliance was about to end and I had already mobilized armies from several cities to march to Pingyuan I think, with the goal of quickly taking Ganling and Nanpi from He Jin.

It's worth noting that we swept Sun Jian, who at the time was roughly #3 power on the map. Liu Yan borrowed troops from a few cities and went after Langye. I sent out everything else I had to Xiapi. Liu Yan's squad ended up pushing down to Guangling. I made short work of...everything else.

4/24 edit

Took a huge bite out of He Jin's central plains holdings. I just basically marched out everything I had, and started outflanking him. By the end of the relatively short session I had pushed west all the way to Luoyang and was working on Hu Gate. It's worth noting that He Jin never had time to blob up Dong Zhuo, and Ma Teng is even still around with like two cities, so I can't imagine I will face much more resistance at this point.

Liu Yan's own district is still very small, like 4-5 cities in total.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Xu Yuan wrote:I made it up to Xin Ye in my second playthrough with Liu Bei starting from 184 some time ago. Unfortunately because you lack the means to sell supplies for gold and vice-versa I was stuck without a way forward. Oddly enough only the first part of the Zhuge Liang event played out, then I couldn't progress it anymore while my city bled gold until I was in the negative and when Cao Cao marched to end it, Liu Biao sent 80,000 men... of Archers, while my own army was greatly diminished from countless other defenses and that was that. Liu Bei was captured, killed. Then I played as Gan Shi who was with Yuan Shao having been separated from Liu Bei long, long ago (how historical!) Gan Shi was trapped in an endless war over the Baima Port and was positioned in Xiangping under Zhang Yan. Eventually Cao Cao won that war and Gan Shi was captured and executed.

That ended that playthrough. I never thought to solicit gold and supplies from Liu Biao, that makes a lot of sense though.

You can both sell and buy supplies in the game (even in vanilla)! All you have to do is upgrade either commerce or farming once and of the buildings choose the ones that allow you to buy food (farming) or sell food (commerce)
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:25 am

Jebusrocks wrote:
Xu Yuan wrote:I made it up to Xin Ye in my second playthrough with Liu Bei starting from 184 some time ago. Unfortunately because you lack the means to sell supplies for gold and vice-versa I was stuck without a way forward. Oddly enough only the first part of the Zhuge Liang event played out, then I couldn't progress it anymore while my city bled gold until I was in the negative and when Cao Cao marched to end it, Liu Biao sent 80,000 men... of Archers, while my own army was greatly diminished from countless other defenses and that was that. Liu Bei was captured, killed. Then I played as Gan Shi who was with Yuan Shao having been separated from Liu Bei long, long ago (how historical!) Gan Shi was trapped in an endless war over the Baima Port and was positioned in Xiangping under Zhang Yan. Eventually Cao Cao won that war and Gan Shi was captured and executed.

You can both sell and buy supplies in the game (even in vanilla)! All you have to do is upgrade either commerce or farming once and of the buildings choose the ones that allow you to buy food (farming) or sell food (commerce)

Actually in the post you quoted, Xu Yuan mentioned the problem with that. Xinye does not have the facilities to trade supplies.

The simplest way is to solicit from your ally Liu Biao, it takes no time at all and 5,000 gold a pop helps. Or you can attack Wan and seize the supplies before letting Cao Cao take it back. Third option is to hoard your gold and have Liu Bei develop, but unless you hire no one you basically need the city to be high prosperity to finally turn a profit...and Liu Bei siphons all the merit in the process.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:52 am

Actually in the post you quoted, Xu Yuan mentioned the problem with that. Xinye does not have the facilities to trade supplies.

The simplest way is to solicit from your ally Liu Biao, it takes no time at all and 5,000 gold a pop helps. Or you can attack Wan and seize the supplies before letting Cao Cao take it back. Third option is to hoard your gold and have Liu Bei develop, but unless you hire no one you basically need the city to be high prosperity to finally turn a profit...and Liu Bei siphons all the merit in the process.

omg I just realized different cities had different facilities.. I just assumed all cities had the same ones.. and I played 141 hours of this game too haha TIL
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:25 am

Jebusrocks wrote:omg I just realized different cities had different facilities.. I just assumed all cities had the same ones.. and I played 141 hours of this game too haha TIL

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:51 am

so puk finally came out in english and so far.... i've crashed 6 times in one hour (can't seem to play full screen for some reason) and so many visual bugs that is irritating me tbh. Hopefully these all get fixed soon because otherwise it seems pretty great so far.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:33 pm

Jebusrocks wrote:so puk finally came out in english and so far.... i've crashed 6 times in one hour (can't seem to play full screen for some reason) and so many visual bugs that is irritating me tbh. Hopefully these all get fixed soon because otherwise it seems pretty great so far.

Sounds like it has the crashing problems the Chinese version has.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:01 pm

Okay so I've just fiddled with making my own officers, two events and going through the prestige possible.

I'm sad I can't chain events, I was hoping to have one event be triggered on the condition of another event having been triggered but I can only use historical events as the trigger, not my own. So my dream of having officers deal with illegitimate children from taverns/brothels is out the door. I could still just have the event, with the assumption your officer does these things in the free time anyway. The choices were paying off or losing bond with more virtuous officers.

Anyway, the prestige thing is what has really got me thinking, it sort of sets up long term life ambitions for your officer and one of them is the beautiful "patriot" route. It's basically being a free force.

What does that inspire in me? The bandits of Outlaw Marsh!

If anyone wants to help create all the officers from that novel, which we can then share as a pack feel free to join in.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms