Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! (A ROTK IX AAR)

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! (A ROTK IX AAR)

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:59 am

All that talk of playing IX made me want to play again, and I decided to go as Han Fu in 190 - The Anti-Dong Zhuo Coalition.

If you don't know, AAR stands for after-action report. This will be a relatively detailed report into my game, broken across several parts as I play. If I have time, I fully intend to write it in two parts - the down-to-business "this is what happened" part, and the "story" part, which will be written not unlike the Romance of the Three Kingdoms itself, complete with bias for our main characters. Expect each part to come at separate times, so stay tuned for updates!

Chapter One: The bandit king Zhang Yan, The tribes of the north, and Hero of the Han™ Pan Feng.

Initial Settings

Ruler: Han Fu
Scenario: 190 Historical - The Anti-Dong Zhuo Coaliion
Foreign Tribes: Set as players, then released to computer control
Settings: Beginner/Historical (Beginner because I'm a chump :oops:)

Starting Position

Han Fu isn't in the greatest starting position, although it's not terrible. Yuan Shao to our east is the only serious threat at the outset. Liu Bei in Ping Yuan would be a threat, if he didn't start the game with a measly 4000 troops. But he also has no strategist that can be considered anywhere near useful. We border mostly other members of the coalition - saving us from their armies, but also limiting targets unless we want to lose reputation and trust by leaving the coalition. We border two forces that we can attack without much retribution - Zhang Yan in Jin Yang and Liu Yu in Ji. Attacking one of these early on will be critical. Since Yuan Shao just loves to go after Liu Yu (being his only target), I suppose we'll go after Zhang Yan.

As for ourselves, we have a handful of officers at our command, including our ruler Han Fu. Han Fu himself is timid and weak, lacking real ability everywhere, but he possesses a modicum of political ability, so he'll busy himself with that. We have 3 or 4 officers who are both intelligent and savvy, so we can improve domestics rapidly quite easily.

Military matters will be a bit harder. We'll rely on two very strong officers, Zhang He and Ju Shou. Zhang He, with strong LDR and WAR, will take charge from the front, smashing enemy formations with onslaught while Ju Shou supports from behind with confuse tactics. Once we pick up a few more generals, they will support Zhang He or just march themselves in separate units, depending on the situation.

...I mean, that's what I would say for military matters, but we have Pan Feng! There's no need to fear any foe. Pan Feng has the one and only tactic anyone ever needs, mounted. Only chumps like Lu Bu use flying tactics; who but a coward would run away while firing at his foe? Confusing foes is clearly dishonorable and cowardly, and Pan Feng will not stoop to such levels. Likewise, he will rely on cold steel to eliminate his enemies - the steel tips of arrows fired from horseback, that is. :devil:

No, but seriously, Pan Feng is pretty useless. :lol:

The Opening Moves

Early on, I want to focus on domestics - particularly trade and trust. Ye begins as a large city with a big population, and can hit the trade maximum, 1000. We also have a permanent merchant if we want to go with food shenanigans, but I elected against it this time (actually, I just forgot :lol: ). Xin Ping and Xin Pi are brothers, so we occasionally get a "critical" domestic improvement, which is a huge boon for our small force. While the politics masters focus on trade, then trust, Pan Feng (the one and only!) and Zhang He are focusing on drafting up and then drilling our troops.

In summer the fun stats, with several people declaring war. Yan Baihu had declared independence in Shou Chun (not Wu!), and Tao Qiao of all people, takes him out. Yuan Shao takes out Liu Yu (as expected), but the Wu Wan tribe doesn't like it, and declares war. They march with 45,000 soldiers on Ji, but Yuan Shao makes good use of the plot menu, forcing the tower unit led by their king and one of the two support units to retreat. Reinforcements arrive from Nan Pi, and Yuan Shao's numerous officers smash the northern barbarians back to their home city. A second attack in winter failed similarly.

Gongsun Zan removed Gongsun Du and took that bit that reminds me of Korea. I didn't pay attention to this fight - this is a foregone conclusion in 190. Wu Wan have not attacked Gongsun yet. Ju Shou, being the clever one he is, warned me about Liu Bei, and that they were looking for an opening. I have beefed up troops numbers in Ye as a result. I also noticed Liu Bei has a very good new officer in the form of Lu Zhi, a fantastic officer with 80's in all but WAR. He also makes for a better warlord than Guan Yu. Liu Bei will not be easy to best with his aid.

Current Position

With ownership over Ye and Jin Yang, I have some income and bodies to use as soldiers in the future. My position is not a happy one at this time, however. While I have a solid defensive position, my offensive options are limited. Dong Zhuo himself is stationed in Shang Dang, making it a tempting target while also eliminating the west as a potential threat - however, Li Ru has also stationed there, and he is fully the equal of Ju Shou. He has soldiers in that city rivaling my own, and his officers are of similar skill, with only Zhang He having a clear advantage. Once the coalition ends, Liu Bei and Yuan Shao become potential targets, although it may be rough going against either of those; the oath brothers with their melee tactics can wreck you if you're not careful, and Yan Liang with Wen Chou can deal serious damage if not checked by a confuse tactic or mislead plot. Can Pan Feng slay this Yan Liang? :lol:

Stay tuned!

EDIT: Pan Feng has sortie, not mounted. :( That's the last time I write these things where I can't check my game.
Last edited by Bush Leagues on Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Re: Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! (A ROTK IX AAR)

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:15 pm

Nice story!

I can't remember if Zhao Yun works for Gongsun Zan at the scenarios start? If not, I think he's in Changshan and would obviously help deal with your rowdy neighbors.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:00 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Nice story!

I can't remember if Zhao Yun works for Gongsun Zan at the scenarios start? If not, I think he's in Changshan and would obviously help deal with your rowdy neighbors.

Thanks for the tip! He didn't start with Gongsun, but he also wasn't in Changshan. I did manage to find him, though. :D
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
Thanks for the tip! He didn't start with Gongsun, but he also wasn't in Changshan. I did manage to find him, though. :D

My memory must be off. Maye he's only in Changshan in 184? I checked and noticed the hidden officer guide claims he's in Baima, but I'm sure I remember finding him in Changshan. Where did he pop up for you?

At least you now have two great generals to match Yan Liang and Wen Chou!
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:49 pm

Chapter Two: The siege of Shang Dang, the dissolution of the coalition, and the chivalrous warrior of honor

The War Rages On

Early December, 190. The coalition finally makes a move, and the joint forces of Cao Cao, Liu Dai, and others smash into Hu Lao Gate, guarded by none other than Lu Bu. The battle takes over a month, but Lu Bu and Hua Xiong are simply insurmountable. If only Pan Feng had been invited. He would slay both of these traitors in a single pass! The final days of the year are spent busying ourselves with domestic activities, and searching our territories for new talent. Little is found in the way of talent, but the item granted to the rebel Zhang Jiao, The Way of Peace is found in Changshan, outside Ye. How I lament this moment! Only Pan Feng could appreciate such a gift and truly value its majesty, but it's a scroll, and Ju Shou, being the jealous one he is, would despise me for giving it to another. I suppose it must live in the hands of one so unworthy.

January comes, bringing a new year, and an end to the coalition. No new coalition is formed, for the lords have resorted to petty squabbles and have forgotten their great crusade. Seeing the laziness and ambition in their hearts, Han Fu announces that he will lead the new coalition, vowing to never end his great crusade against Dong Zhuo for as long as his body draws breath! Unfortunately, he announced this alone in his bedchambers, in a drunken stupor, so none of the other lords were informed. We decide to wait and see what the other lords do before acting.

Liu Bei, instead of striking at us, moves to attack Yuan Shao instead, while he is distracted by the Wu Wan tribe in Ji. Gongsun Zan moves near Bei Hai and strikes at Tao Qian, to protect his ally Kong Rong. Liu Biao launched an unsuccessful attack on Yuan Shu's Wan, making a play for Jing province. He and Liu Zhang take advantage of the empty cities around them, as does Sun Jian in southern Jing. The Qiang tribes fearsome cavalry make their move, taking Tian Shui from Dong Zhuo. This will slow Ma Teng's growth, making this a net positive.

This has given us the opportunity we need. Liu Bei is distracted with Yuan Shao, and so Ye is free to launch an attack on Shang Dang by way of Hu Gate. Dong Zhuo had sent forces to the Hu Lao Gate battle from Shang Dang, leaving their city weakened. We take the gate, appoint Pan Feng to the rearguard, and strike at their city. Zhang He and Zhang Yan provided some support with their horse archers, but the true hero was Pan Feng. He leaped up onto the wall using one of our towers, jumped into the city below with his personal unit of 500, and personally slayed 17,000 enemy soldiers, the governor, 80 concubines, 47 oxen, and no less than 50 officers. Pan Feng himself told the tale that night. Unfortunately, none from his unit survived to verify this account, but who could doubt such a tale? We appoint him "General that Vanquishes Tyranny" and hold a banquet to his honor.

While patrolling our territory again, we find the talented man Sima Lang, who is persuaded to join our cause! Wang Shuang also volunteers to serve, and Zhao Yun is found in Baima Port! Zhao is resistant, at first however; he is unsure of our virtue. Fang Yue and Yang Feng are already certain of it however, and join us right away. After much effort (I literally sent every officer after him in a single phase), Xin Pi was finally able to realize that no one had mentioned Pan Feng, and Zhao Yun was instantly convinced to join us. With March coming to a close, we shuffle our ranks a bit. Ju Shou was promoted to "Assistant Junior Clerk, Lower-Class" from his previous post of "Assistant to the Junior Clerk, Lower-Class". He is unworthy of such a post, but Han Fu decides it might be a good idea to appease him. Zhao Yun is promoted to "General who Manifests Virtue", the third-highest rank. Zhang He is "General who Establishes Order", the second-highest ranking general. Pan Feng, the senior general, is promoted again to "General who is Pan Feng". There is no higher rank in the kingdom!

Spring ends, and summer is upon us. Shang Dang and Jin Yang will require some attention to bring money and food into our coffers. However, hopes are high and the trees are in full bloom. There is no reason to fear!

Notes from Dec 190 to Apr 191
5 new officers have joined us, none more notable than Zhao Yun! This brings our officer count to 17.
Shang Dang is taken! That brings us to three cities, and our western flank is mostly secure now.
Liu Bei dedicated too many resources to a failed attack on Yuan Shao - he is now vulnerable to attack!
Dong Zhuo is over-dedicating resources to Hu Lao Gate. He is weak in other areas.
Ju Shou brought his INT up to 100 with The Way of Peace item.
Gongsun Zan decided that Bei Hai was too good to pass up, and is attacking Kong Rong.

I think I'll save the story bits - writing this takes a bit of time as it is. Once I finish playing, I might write the AAR compilation as a story though, focusing on Han Fu, Pan Feng, Zhang He, Ju Shou, Xin Pi and Xin Ping, and other main characters as they join us. I already have a few ideas. I'm not author, but I think I can make it remotely entertaining.

Gray Riders wrote:My memory must be off. Maye he's only in Changshan in 184? I checked and noticed the hidden officer guide claims he's in Baima, but I'm sure I remember finding him in Changshan. Where did he pop up for you?

Baima. I know officers appear in different locations based on starting scenario, so he could appear in both. He also says "Changshan" sometimes when he get in duels.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:20 am

(sigh)

I want to do a shot of bleach, and then shoot myself in the face 400 times. I want to jam 17 rusty knives into my genitals for 5000 years straight.

So this morning, after work, I powered up my PS3 (I have a backwards-compatible one - it's even a launch PS3; I can't believe it still works) to continue my game, and 'lo and behold, I am back at the end of November instead of in April. I forgot to save. You gotta be kidding me. I never forget to save anything, ever. I might have forgotten once in my life. I'm dutiful about it; I remember it like I remember my birthday. The back of my hand is more foreign than the save menu.
So, yeah. I'm a fu**ing mong. Because apparently, I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE ROLE THE SAVE BUTTON HAS IN A VIDEO GAME!

RRRGGHGHGHGHGHGHHJAKLNKDHDHLKANSLHIJAKLAKLSGJV :rangry:

I would spam angry faces if it wasn't again forum rules.

Chapter 2: redux, will be up eventually.

Seriously, does anyone have some rusty knives for me? I was not kidding. I am going to jam them right into my genitals. Just...directly in there.

(sigh)

Bush Leagues
Sage

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms