Please help, I'm so stumped.

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Please help, I'm so stumped.

Unread postby Black9 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:46 pm

Hi, I'm playing Romance of the three kingdoms IX for ps2...the one where you can choose formations and tactics some how trigger. My question is this...the computer is always using onslaught and flying and sordie on me...but my tactics have never once triggered. I am using wedge and my officer is positioned in front. He knows all three horse skills and never triggered one. My officer is positioned in the front and knows all three foot skills and has never triggered one.

Thanks in advance.
Black9
Tyro

Re: Please help, I'm so stumped.

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Tutorial #4 covers this. It really does. But I'm feeling nice, so I'll answer this anyway:

* Make sure every officer has a tactic assigned. Make sure it's a sensible one, too; Zhang Fei's Taunt runs off of his 35 int, not his 103 war.
* The closer someone is to the front, the more often their tactic will fire. One reason Mallet is a popular formation is that it allows three officers up front.
* Formations often are better at certain tactics. Mallet, for example, triggers horse tactics more often than nornal.
* If multiple officers in the same unit are set to the same exact tactic (say, both Guan Yu and Zhang Fei are set to Melee), when either of them uses the tactic there's a chance the other officer(s) will also use that tactic for free.
* Scheme tactics (Confuse, Trap, Cajole, Illusion) can also trigger a foot, horse, horsebow, bow, or navy tactic.
* The more powerful a tactic is, the more damage it'll do, but the rarer it'll go off.
* If a unit has five people in it, that means five times as many tactics as if only one person was there. Always go with full units unless you have a good reason not to! (say, you're transporting goods and the unit won't be near any enemies).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Black9 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:27 pm

Maybe I don't have a tactic assigned? My officers know all three, but do I need to equip them to use them? I did the tatorial, but I don't remember it saying to assign them. They also have 99 in every stat, so that shouldn't be a problem.
Black9
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:30 pm

Yes, you have to assign tactics or they won't be used. I believe that regular officers start out with a tactic assigned but created officers don't.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms