What we need:
- Optional RPG, meaning that you can play a single character like some games, and have that perspective, or play as a ruler with a top-down view. Both play-styles would only overlap in some areas, something like in RPG you can actively participate in your state's politics, start factions, gain power, suck up to your liege, etc.
- RTK XI style voices. Just translate the menus and whatnot and that hire that one narrator with the soothing voice. Unit reactions etc were so cool when they were in Chinese.
- Stat growths, peaks, declines, reintroduced from XI.
- OH GOD REMOVE THE CARDS. REMOVE. THE. CARDS. XII MAKES ME CRINGE. Player has full control over which officer leads what kind of unit, in which numbers.
- A 'fief' system that you can use to reward officers, imagine districts but on a smaller scale. i.e: Sum Wun, governor of Puyang, can have Sai Gek be a lord or small marquis inside Puyang (imagine IX's map where cities/provinces are much more detailed)
- Going on the fief system, fiefs, cities, provinces etc would have a population - households, each household would be worth 3 soldiers in your draft pool. Soldiers can be instantly mobilized but would be, you know, cannon fodder peasants. You can, alternatively, have your different little vassals work on training a standard army, maybe half of the pool of each fief, that would be a professional army with an upkeep, and the rest can be panick-mobilized. This could make the term "crack troops" come into play, where if you have 5,000 well-trained elites, under a good commander, you can mow down 20,000 unprepared peasants.
- Heavily reduced unit size. Instead of marching two units, being Zhang Liao, Sun Li, Cao Hong with 15,000 cavalry, and Cao Cao, Xun You, Guo Jia with 15,000 archers and mowing an entire faction down, it should be toned down to where you can still field massive armies but individual officers lead much smaller units, that start at around 500 men and maybe end somewhere around 10,000.
- MANY MORE THINGS THAT WOULD MAKE ROTK AMAZING.
Oh who am I kidding, it'll probably be worse than 12.