New Romance of the Three Kingdoms in development for 2015

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: New Romance of the Three Kingdoms in development for 201

Unread postby KauSu » Wed May 13, 2015 9:05 am

I'm late to the party, but I sure do hope that it's the last RoTK ever, and that the series goes out with a bang.

What we need:
- MASSIVE officer list. Keep forces with 50+ officers even when the game starts to "die down", around 250-260.
- Optional RPG, meaning that you can play a single character like some games, and have that perspective, or play as a ruler with a top-down view. Both play-styles would only overlap in some areas, something like in RPG you can actively participate in your state's politics, start factions, gain power, suck up to your liege, etc.
- RTK XI style voices. Just translate the menus and whatnot and that hire that one narrator with the soothing voice. Unit reactions etc were so cool when they were in Chinese.
- Stat growths, peaks, declines, reintroduced from XI.
- OH GOD REMOVE THE CARDS. REMOVE. THE. CARDS. XII MAKES ME CRINGE. Player has full control over which officer leads what kind of unit, in which numbers.
- A 'fief' system that you can use to reward officers, imagine districts but on a smaller scale. i.e: Sum Wun, governor of Puyang, can have Sai Gek be a lord or small marquis inside Puyang (imagine IX's map where cities/provinces are much more detailed)
- Going on the fief system, fiefs, cities, provinces etc would have a population - households, each household would be worth 3 soldiers in your draft pool. Soldiers can be instantly mobilized but would be, you know, cannon fodder peasants. You can, alternatively, have your different little vassals work on training a standard army, maybe half of the pool of each fief, that would be a professional army with an upkeep, and the rest can be panick-mobilized. This could make the term "crack troops" come into play, where if you have 5,000 well-trained elites, under a good commander, you can mow down 20,000 unprepared peasants.
- Heavily reduced unit size. Instead of marching two units, being Zhang Liao, Sun Li, Cao Hong with 15,000 cavalry, and Cao Cao, Xun You, Guo Jia with 15,000 archers and mowing an entire faction down, it should be toned down to where you can still field massive armies but individual officers lead much smaller units, that start at around 500 men and maybe end somewhere around 10,000.
- MANY MORE THINGS THAT WOULD MAKE ROTK AMAZING.

Oh who am I kidding, it'll probably be worse than 12.
KauSu
Tyro

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed May 13, 2015 3:59 pm

I hold out a slim hope that they learned something from 12's lackluster sales. I foresee a move back toward 11's system or something slimilar. I would prefer more like 9 without the facilities as I felt that they slow things down too much. It takes months for anything to happen due to the massive amount of time it takes to prep a city to fight and rulers with low political officers take so long you can be left in the dust unless you are amazing at the game. So if you aren't the best you are either stuck with one of the bigger factions or a created faction of super officers.
I want a game that is two games in one, I want a fleshed out ruler system plus an enhanced version of 10 where you can play any officer. Being able to play any rank or free gives you a lot more options.
However as many people have said, AI is one of the areas we need to seriously work on. Most games of X end with the player eventually becoming a Viceroy and running around like a chicken with his head cut off trying to save every city he/she can because the allied AI is so terrible and will lose cities even with maxed out defense and gigantic armies on a regular basis.
If I am playing an officer I don't want to feel that I need to become a Viceroy simply because my allies are too incompetent to ever defend a city.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Calamitus » Tue May 19, 2015 9:21 am

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII Announced For PS4, PS3, And PC

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/18/ro ... s3-and-pc/
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/sangokushi13/
Calamitus
Apprentice

Unread postby DragonAtma » Tue May 19, 2015 11:39 am

Calamitus wrote:Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII Announced For PS4, PS3, And PC

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/05/18/ro ... s3-and-pc/
http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/sangokushi13/

Hopefully it'll reach the US, and not just Japan!
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Tue May 19, 2015 1:48 pm

Naval battles, 3D map (both cities and everything else?) and apparently even Officer play return. At least it says there will be officer POVs. What that's going to mean exactly is still a bit unclear.
Sieges will also be expanded on it seems.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TVL » Tue May 19, 2015 5:29 pm

Don't really dig the new portrait, especially Sun Quan. They probably want to go back to the "generic" portrai. Liu Bei i can understand since he was living his life in the battlefield until he died, but Sun Quan?

But from what i see and people told me, we are going to get a RoTK XI map style with Role-playing of X. Now that's what i want to see, they better make this what people always wanted long before even XI, a RoTK that combined the goods from previous games in the series
TVL
Master

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Tue May 19, 2015 5:52 pm

Some famous characters both have battle and civil portraits. So Sun Quan will probably still have a civil portrait when he's not out in battle. I find it better that way.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TVL » Tue May 19, 2015 6:06 pm

That would be nice and should be the case, cause XII did such a good job at portraying the character of officers with their portraits, i can't imagine Koei just dump that right in the trash can
Multiple portraits of one officer is always a neat thing to have like the young/old one in XI. Now i'm hyped
TVL
Master

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 am

How much do you guys estimate a US release would be for PC?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed May 20, 2015 6:07 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:How much do you guys estimate a US release would be for PC?

Well the last Nobunaga's ambition game came out in december 2013, it is coming to the US September 2015, so late 2017 perhaps? :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms