New Romance of the Three Kingdoms in development for 2015

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: New Romance of the Three Kingdoms in development for 201

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:07 pm

I love the idea of having some strategic power, being able to use tactics in battles and having an out of battle strategy is wonderful....in theory. The main problem is the same as Romance of the Three Kingdom games. The character's are all just a bunch of statistics with a picture attached. So no matter who you are the game boils down to some stats with a color representing them. I want my strategist characters to you know make plans, give suggestions etc, I would like my generals to you know suggest battles, want to lead fights on their own etc. Having a more strategic DW game is wonderful, but every battle plays out the same with little to no deviation.

This is what I really want from an RTK strategy game, I want characters to have personalities, I want characters and factions to act more realistically. My stratagist is just there to tell me if my search for officers will find people, or if someone else will agree to my alliance proposal etc, and unless they are Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Guo Jia they will probably be wrong :P

I am going to hype myself up for a new RTK game but in the end it will be like the rest of the titles, I will probably play it and love it, (hell I even greatly enjoy 11 and that game is not the best RTK title)
I want my strategist to give me major advice, I want them to suggest forces to target, forces to ally with etc. I want them to suggest battle information, cities to focus on and which to let lag behind because they aren't as important.

This is why I want to be able to play as different ranks then leaders. I want to be that strategist who gives advice, I want to be the prefect who has to hold the line until my leader can send reinforcements, I want to be the General who breaks through the enemy line. I want characters to act like they are more then just numbers.

Sorry for the mini rant :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:06 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I want my strategist to give me major advice, I want them to suggest forces to target, forces to ally with etc. I want them to suggest battle information, cities to focus on and which to let lag behind because they aren't as important.

Have you every played (or heard of) the game King of Dragon Pass? It's kind of a fantasy strategy game, where one of the big features if that the members of your Ring of clan leaders have suggestions for the various events that happen, often referring to cultural tradition or historical allusion to back their point (even they just admit they have no advice for this), and what they say is colored by both their visible stats and which god they worship, but also by invisible personaly traits. You can end up with a guy who keeps blaming everything on the elves, for instance. You eventually get an idea of what might be influencing your Ring members and on what matters their advice might be clouded.

It could be interesting to implement something like that in a ROTK RPG (though I also think the RPG and strategy ROTK games should be separate series' after X made trying to play strategically a headache).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:33 am

Gray Riders wrote:Have you every played (or heard of) the game King of Dragon Pass? It's kind of a fantasy strategy game, where one of the big features if that the members of your Ring of clan leaders have suggestions for the various events that happen, often referring to cultural tradition or historical allusion to back their point (even they just admit they have no advice for this), and what they say is colored by both their visible stats and which god they worship, but also by invisible personaly traits. You can end up with a guy who keeps blaming everything on the elves, for instance. You eventually get an idea of what might be influencing your Ring members and on what matters their advice might be clouded.

It could be interesting to implement something like that in a ROTK RPG (though I also think the RPG and strategy ROTK games should be separate series' after X made trying to play strategically a headache).

That sounds...really good, actually! I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the info.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:54 am

Gray Riders wrote:
LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I want my strategist to give me major advice, I want them to suggest forces to target, forces to ally with etc. I want them to suggest battle information, cities to focus on and which to let lag behind because they aren't as important.

Have you every played (or heard of) the game King of Dragon Pass? It's kind of a fantasy strategy game, where one of the big features if that the members of your Ring of clan leaders have suggestions for the various events that happen, often referring to cultural tradition or historical allusion to back their point (even they just admit they have no advice for this), and what they say is colored by both their visible stats and which god they worship, but also by invisible personaly traits. You can end up with a guy who keeps blaming everything on the elves, for instance. You eventually get an idea of what might be influencing your Ring members and on what matters their advice might be clouded.

Yeah I picked that game up from Good old games, it had a lot of really nice ideas, i found the gameplay lacking as it is more of a visual novel then a game. However i do remember the advisors and liked that concept.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:28 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:This is what I really want from an RTK strategy game, I want characters to have personalities, I want characters and factions to act more realistically. My stratagist is just there to tell me if my search for officers will find people, or if someone else will agree to my alliance proposal etc, and unless they are Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Guo Jia they will probably be wrong :P

I love how the rate of correct predictions in the games takes a huge nosedive with anything below 100.

"I am the mighty Sima Yi, fear my 98 intellect!!!! I will conquer China!" proceeds to fail at everything 5 million times
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:44 am

Zyzyfer wrote:I love how the rate of correct predictions in the games takes a huge nosedive with anything below 100.

"I am the mighty Sima Yi, fear my 98 intellect!!!! I will conquer China!" proceeds to fail at everything 5 million times

It's pretty outrageous. In ROTK IX, seems anything below 95 is basically a crapshoot. Guo Jia at 98 is right most of the time. ZHL of course gets perfect at 100 (which he starts at), and is forever right about Liu Bei (even has special quotes for his advice when Liu Bei attempts something). Then any other officer wanting to be perfect has to reach 110 INT (not too hard with a decent item and some rank; as long as they were highly intelligent to start with, it's definitely do-able).

I'd much rather see a gradual progression of accurate. I don't expect my 85 INt guy to be right all the time, but he should be right a fair bit of the time, at least half of the time, most likely.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:10 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I love how the rate of correct predictions in the games takes a huge nosedive with anything below 100.

Chen Gong is notable for me, in that in many of the games he's one of the rare cases of an advisor serving someone with higher Int with Cao Cao in 190. I always figured if Cao Cao told me what he thought himself we'd be a bit better off! Same thing in the games where Sima Yi is a ruler in the Hero scenarios.

Let's give XI credit; your advisor is proactive and suggests who to use instead of you having to go through every officer. It may make them seem less accurate, but it avoids tediousness.
Cao Cao: I want to convince this genius, Zhuge Liang, to take service with me. Could I persuade him?
Guo Jia: No.
C: What about Xu Huang?
G: No.
C: Sima Yi?
G: No. Definitely no.
C:Cao Ren?
G: No.
*two hours later*
C:...Wang Zhong?
G: Yes! The signs are excellent for lord Wang Zhong!

Bush Leagues wrote:Then any other officer wanting to be perfect has to reach 110 INT (not too hard with a decent item and some rank; as long as they were highly intelligent to start with, it's definitely do-able).

I believe only some officers can become perfect with 110 Int. I got Tian Feng to 110 before and he still made mistakes.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zetta » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:43 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:I love the idea of having some strategic power, being able to use tactics in battles and having an out of battle strategy is wonderful....in theory. The main problem is the same as Romance of the Three Kingdom games. The character's are all just a bunch of statistics with a picture attached. So no matter who you are the game boils down to some stats with a color representing them. I want my strategist characters to you know make plans, give suggestions etc, I would like my generals to you know suggest battles, want to lead fights on their own etc. Having a more strategic DW game is wonderful, but every battle plays out the same with little to no deviation.

This is what I really want from an RTK strategy game, I want characters to have personalities, I want characters and factions to act more realistically. My stratagist is just there to tell me if my search for officers will find people, or if someone else will agree to my alliance proposal etc, and unless they are Zhuge Liang, Lu Xun, or Guo Jia they will probably be wrong :P

I am going to hype myself up for a new RTK game but in the end it will be like the rest of the titles, I will probably play it and love it, (hell I even greatly enjoy 11 and that game is not the best RTK title)
I want my strategist to give me major advice, I want them to suggest forces to target, forces to ally with etc. I want them to suggest battle information, cities to focus on and which to let lag behind because they aren't as important.

This is why I want to be able to play as different ranks then leaders. I want to be that strategist who gives advice, I want to be the prefect who has to hold the line until my leader can send reinforcements, I want to be the General who breaks through the enemy line. I want characters to act like they are more then just numbers.

Sorry for the mini rant :P

That is also my main complaint with 4X games in general as well as with other strategy games. I feel like we see less and less games in this genre with what I would call "drama". Just stuff that happens, a backstory for each faction, objectives, betrayal, characters that have motivations as well as weaknesses. Some game plot. Games such as Warcraft / Starcraft, C&C and so on, really made an impact on me because of their great campaigns. They manage to explain the game mechanics by introducing a few concepts in each mission while simultaneously entertaining you with a story and different objectives. And you feel like you are making progress each time.

A lot of games aren't even trying this anymore. They just throw a patronizing tutorial at you face to explain the basics (i.e. "This is a farm, it produces FOOD. FOOD is important because people eat. If they don't eat, they die. There is GOLD then, which you need as a resource to build stuff." :| ). And then you play a random map with a random leader, random terrain, random resources, random enemies and sometimes random dialogue. No storyline. No objectives except : conquer the whole map / build an empire / play until you don't want to play anymore. In my opinion, this is really bland. I really want to love games such as Civilization or Dominions, and games developped by Paradox Interactive. But no matter how hard I try, I just can't play them for a very long time because even though the game engine and gameplay mechanics are good, I just feel like playing spreadsheets with a nice GUI.

One game which managed to capture what I really want out of strategy games is Dynasty Tactics. It had a branched storyline, with various objectives and each decision you took made quite an impact on the outcome of the game and the ending you get. Unfortunately for me, ROTK doesn't follow that path and sticks more with the 4X formula. Which is a bit of a shame considering the whole "drama" that you can find in the novel. But yeah, I'll be still waiting for the potential development and release of ROTK13 I guess...
Zetta
Initiate

Unread postby Xia Kyoto » Fri May 08, 2015 7:00 am

News?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.. and if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Nietzsche
Xia Kyoto
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat May 09, 2015 1:19 am

Xia Kyoto wrote:News?

Nope! :P
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms