RTK XI Are there settings to make District AIs better?

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

RTK XI Are there settings to make District AIs better?

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:38 am

So I'm playing the game, and I have three districts now. The problem is, the AI seems to be retarded. Down in Jiang Ling, Jiang Jin Port has been under attack for a month, but the AI won't send any units to take out the attackers despite having 17 officers and 100,000 troops. In Xiang Yang, they blew up one of my buildings for no reason (they didn't build anything else there). In Xin Ye, they blew up my Fish Market, also for no apparent reason (same as Xiang Yang). The AI doesn't even try to defend my borders, and I don't know why. I have them all set to build up and defend, and they aren't doing it. They won't even patrol to keep Order up, and there are plenty of officers to go around. It's driving me mad.

Why is the computer AI so much better, but District AI sucks nuts? Do I just have to control every city myself?
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Re: RTK XI Are there settings to make District AIs better?

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:16 am

PUK AI sounds worse than vanilla hahaha

Districts are very fickle. I do find them useful at hoarding supplies, on the vanilla English version at least. So obviously I have no problems tossing some districts up behind front lines. And I don't mind using them in the front lines, either, but I have to make sure I keep an eye on them pretty much every single turn if they are involved in combat. Some things I've noticed...

Ports

Player district AI can't handle them. So often I will see one unit take the port in a siege, then the rest sail back, and new units are deployed from the city. If the seized port is close to the enemy city, it will be lost long before the newly deployed units arrive. What's even more hilarious is that, when the port is seized, those new units often cannot reach their destination - the city - so they return to base, and brand new units are deployed to take the port again...

On the defensive, it is extremely rare that I see the AI actually deploy units to defend ports. And if I position troops and officers in them, it might defend, or it might transport everything back, who knows. Gates have the same problem, but are less of a pain overall.

If holding a particular port is critical, but I don't want to manage an entire city and waste precious AP, I will briefly send my ruler to the port, then place the city under district control, then send the ruler back to wherever he was based. This keeps the port or gate directly accessible to the player so you can defend it properly, and you can even transport supplies from the city. On the downside, if you change the district's settings at all - other than directly controlling the city again, of course - then the port reverts back to the district.

City Defense

Mixed bag. The AI will only build defensive structures if it is permitted to attack. But then it will try and usually fail to attack other cities, duh. If it is not permitted to attack then it will follow some arbitrary (varies from city to city) range of actively defending, and will pretty much ignore ports and gates completely unless they happen to have troops and officers. As you are experiencing in Jiangling with the port, that is outside of the AI's sphere of importance for that city so it just watches the port go up in flames. One ridiculous example is that I will sometimes see attackers approach my Luoyang under district control, and no one will march out to resist until the attackers have started hitting the city itself.

Order

This is the weird part to me about your experience. I find the AI is okay about order. But it never maintains it at 100, it's usually between 85 and 95. The AI may draft troops and then not assign three officers to raise order, but just one. I do not find it to be a problem, except when a disaster first hits, as there is a chance order will drop too low and bandits will appear.

Building

Perhaps a PUK thing? Although honestly, I never let the AI build facilities. It is really very, very terrible at it.

-----

This is hardly a defense of the AI! It would have been nice if there were more options in the district settings, as permitting or forbidding attacking results in rather simplistic performance. Being able to specify "defend Jiangjin/ports" or "build fortifications and defend" would still lead to stupid results, but at least it would show that thought went into districts.

My solution for districts is simple, but time-consuming at times. As I said before, just keep watch over cities involved in battles. If stupid things are happening in a city, take direct control of that city and solve the immediate issue you have - stun the most dangerous unit, march out units to defend a port, build a facility, raise order - and then toss the city back under the district. I may even do this for multiple consecutive turns in a heated battle, because the AI uses really odd algorithms in combat haha. And if it is so bad that I am correcting every turn without end, then that city isn't ready to be a district.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:55 am

I've noticed that Jiang Ling and Jiang Xia are the absolute worst cities to have on the front as they're very difficult to defend properly. Even under direct control, Jiang Xia is a pain to defend from the east. That puts me at a disadvantage because I literally have Northern Jingzhou and the Central Plains. I'd post a map if I could, but my web site won't allow outside image linking for some reason.

I have Shang Yong, Yong An, Xiang Yang, Jiang Ling, Jiang Xia, Xin Ye, Wan, Ru Nan, Xu Chang, Chen Liu, and Pu Yang.

Basically, it's a pain in the butt trying to defend again Xiang Ji and Sun Ce from the south and east respectively. Even if I control them, the sizes of these cities is crazy.

I'll follow your advice there. I'll also forbid them building since they're blowing up my hard working perfecting these cities.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 am

Argh!

I can't stop the AI from destroying my buildings. I've tried different settings and they won't stop it. I don't get it. They don't seem to want to keep that Fish Market in Xin Ye and they keep ruining my perfect city layout. This is really freaking annoying.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby TVL » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:42 am

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:Argh!

I can't stop the AI from destroying my buildings. I've tried different settings and they won't stop it. I don't get it. They don't seem to want to keep that Fish Market in Xin Ye and they keep ruining my perfect city layout. This is really freaking annoying.

That's weird, i play Puk too and never seen my city buildings layout got changed by AI
TVL
Master

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:54 am

Yeah same here, the only time a district gets the opportunity is when a building gets destroyed in a battle, or they might cancel construction of a building if the city is under attack. Don't know what the problem could be. :|
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:29 am

No clue. Neither Xiang Yang nor Xin Ye are on the front lines, and neither have been attacked in years. In Xiang Yang, Liu Biao keeps demolishing my Academy and builds nothing in its place. In Xin Ye, Cao Ang keeps demolishing the Fish Market and building nothing in its place. It's freaking bizarre.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Ultimate_Nova_X » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 pm

DreamGoddessLindsey wrote:Argh!

Thank goodness for sire.

In my opinion, there's almost never a reason to leave it to the AI.
Ultimate_Nova_X
Academic

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:39 pm

Huh? Sire? What do you mean?
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby foosoomin » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:08 am

dreamgoddess,

Ultimate Nova is from Taiwan...

His explanation is never complete, that is the problem with him.....

Let's hope he can fully explain the "Sire" thing, for district setting
foosoomin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms