Full RTK11+PUK Translation Project Official Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Looking for information to further translate RTK11+PUK

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:35 am

Okay, found a workaround by creating a new message file and deleting the old one.

Lezard, do you happen to know how to change the references to month in the game from stuff like "1M" to "Jan"?
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:20 am

Update: I have completely cleaned up the entire opening of Scenario 1 (Yellow Turbans). In addition, I managed to fix and clean up the "Before we begin" explanations at game start, including the various different openings certain forces have in different scenarios. There is still a ton of work to be done, but I like that I've accomplished this much already.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:45 am

I think changing 1M to Jan has to be done via hex editor in the exe file.

Btw, are you using already translated messages as your base (ex. Cao Shang's patch) or are you using the original files that are in japanese/chinese?
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:53 am

I'm working on top of all the existing translations. A lot of the early stuff was just cleanup, though there's a ton to actually fix. Thankfully, it is possible to find the same messages in the English files and use the English messages. There's plenty of room. I'm really happy with how the "Before we begin" stuff turned out so far.

Long way to go, though. The hard part is actually finding the matching messages. I'm using a combination of two instances of the editor, PS2 gameplay for reference, and the PC version play for reference.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:04 am

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I think the problem with the matching messages comes up because a lot of messages were deleted in the process of Cao Shang's patch. I don't know to what extend this was fixed in the current versions of the translations, so gameplay references would work best I guess. I wish you good luck with it, I attempted the same thing some time ago and stopped when it came to provide actual translations of the new PUK messages.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:07 am

Thank you for the well wishes and support. Indeed, it'll be greatly difficult when I get to stuff that isn't translated at all. I'm gonna clean up and fix the stuff already partially translated, then work on the rest. I'm not sure if I'll be able to translate stuff from scratch since I have no skill in Japanese or Chinese, but I'm gonna give it my all in the attempt.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Hey! Fixing the english part is already a LOT of improvement! :D

I'm afraid you can't change "1M" to "Jan" ingame, the month must be composed by number + character of your choice. The only place where you can write "Jan" is on scenario titles in "New Game" menu, but that would leave even less space available to the title itself and would be inconsistent with the rest of the game.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:55 pm

Ah, okay. I saw it listed by month in your nex editing guide, Lezard, and thought it'd be possible.

So far, the scenario openings seem mostly well done. I've removed some of the more ridiculous words (like Guan Yu saying "cock-a-doodle-doo" before the Peach Garden Oath), and I've removed the Msg reference notes from the text just to clean it up.

Question: should I attempt to also format everything so that words don't run on to the next line by creating line breaks, or would that just be too much (and nearly impossible to pull off)?
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lezard » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:52 am

Ah, okay. I saw it listed by month in your nex editing guide, Lezard, and thought it'd be possible.

I see, unfortunately the guide falls into the "New Game" menu titles case.

Question: should I attempt to also format everything so that words don't run on to the next line by creating line breaks, or would that just be too much (and nearly impossible to pull off)?

I have no idea.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:30 am

It would be good I think, but I don't know how you could know when exactly the line would end in game. So you'd have to use game references again and that would probably make things much harder to pull off (besides taking a lot of time).
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms