Full RTK11+PUK Translation Project Official Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Full RTK11+PUK Translation Project Official Thread

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 pm

I've been playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms since its first American release back in the late 80s, and it's always been one of my favorites. Recently, my interest has been renewed, and my favorite game in the series is Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI. After many years of wanting to play the full games, I'm finally enjoying RTK11+PUK on my PC with Lezard's patch.

Sadly, while the game is 100% playable (and I've enjoyed it and beaten it), a lot of the story portions and various messages are a mess and impossible to read. It basically takes knowledge of the English version to understand what's happening.

As this is one of my personal favorites, I'd like to help translate the game further, clean it up, and release a patch that's better than ever, if possible. I'd like to work with existing translators, especially Lezard, in going about this. Thing is, I'm new to this kind of thing. I am a fast learner, that much I can say,but I'll need a lot of help getting started. Once I know what I'm doing, I should be able to handle plenty. I have the PS2 version in English and would like to use that as a bit of a template for the translation while keeping the original integrity in tact.

First question, of course, is this: how do I edit the EXE, assuming that's where all the dialogue and such is? I tried a hex editor, but that doesn't seem to be the right thing to use for the EXE, though it's great for the scenarios. I'll add to that that I'm planning on making a custom scenario for RTK11 based on the original Romance of the Three Kingdoms, which should be interesting. My main goal, however, would be to find a way to further translate. Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Last edited by DreamGoddessLindsey on Sun May 11, 2014 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Re: Looking for information to further translate RTK11+PUK

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 am

I belive the text for story and such is actually held in files located in the msg folder: S11MSG00.s11, S11MSG01.s11, S11MSG02.s11, and S11MSG03.s11. These can be edited with the San11editor, if you have it.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:48 am

I have an editor, but it'll only edit scenarios. The one with a triangle opening screen. Where can I find the one you're talking about? Once I can modify stuff, assuming it's within my abilities, I plan to do as complete a translation as I can possibly do. RTK11, in my opinion, is the peak of the series. :)
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:02 am

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mdn3i ... ld1211.rar
^San11Editor, as uploaded by the creator. Unfortunately the editor itself is not in english--I can only use it through practice and trial and error. To edit messages you need to select the option second from the left with an english M, then select the last option, then select the message file you want to edit. I haven't edited messages very extensively and cannot offer much assistance, I'm afraid.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:19 am

Whoa, yeah, this thing is pretty complex. Trying to edit messages is gonna be tough. There are a lot of [0x05] and such things in it that I have no idea what they are.

Now, however, I wonder how compatible the English version files might actually possibly be. If I can somehow find the English files, comparing them would help. Unfortunately, I don't have the English PC version. If anyone has the message files for that, it'd be nice to check them out.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lezard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:34 am

Sounds you're giving me much more credit than I'm due. I've only improved over the existing works on the executable and scenario file, I haven't touched dialogues at all (only pointed the best currently available). I assume you've followed my post http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16573&start=70#p580647 in order to translate.

To clear things up a bit, these are the files involved on the translation:
- San11PK.exe - the game itself, many things here, but I don't see the need of further improvement.
- Scenario.s11 - skills and many other things, again little room for improvement here.
- Scenarios (SCEN000.S11 to Scen014.s11) - officer names, items and few other things. I plan on changing these eventually, but that's more of a personal issue with the lack of standardization. Can't really improve it.
- Messages (S11MSG00.s11 to S11MSG03.s11) - text of events/dialogs. Now that's probably what you want to improve.

The first three can be edited via hexeditor, but the messages are encrypted, so you'll need San11editor to change them as noted by Gray Riders. It can be found at: http://pigspy.ys168.com/ (Van's House — author of the program, which is in Chinese by the way)

I've never used it really, but here are some foreign guides:
- http://www.sanguogame.com.cn/download/readme/editor/san11-editor-d01.html (Chinese)
- http://forum.gamevn.com/showthread.php?529366-Chinh-Sua-RTK-10-11-quot-Can-thanh-vien-biet-tieng-Japan-China-giup-do-hoi-thoai-RTK-10-quot&p=17805276#post17805276 (Vietnamese — with pictures :mrgreen: )

Note that due to limitations on space available to write, sometimes, we just can't make a proper translation having to abide by a workaround. Also PUK adds many new events and scenarios so Japanese or Chinese knowledge is needed to make a really good translation.

EDIT:
If you see something like [0x05] in a message that's because the name of an officer, place or whatever goes in that position.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:48 am

Oh, that is excellent stuff, Lezard. Indeed, I followed your guide when installing everything, in order, and am using your EXE. In fact, seeing you still putting work into it after all this time, and the completeness with which you explain things, is part of what inspired me to want to try and improved upon this even further (and sign up to this forum as well).

I'll take some time to study all of this and see what I can do. I know there is limited space, but I truly believe it's possible to better translate the messages.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby Lezard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:42 pm

I'm flattered :oops: . But sure, the messages are the biggest, trickiest and least developed part of the translation.

English version of messages here. San11Editor can handle them just fine.

Though there's little I can do to help, here are google translations for text in the images on Vietnamese site:

Ắn vào đậy để mở file S11MSGOx.S11 ,để sửa lời đôi thoại và tiêu sử các tướng theo đường dân: ..\Koei\San11\Media\msg
(Click here to open file S11MSGOx.S11, to fix dialogue and objective way using the general population: ..\Koei\San11\Media\msg)

Chắp nhận mọi thay đôi và thoát
(Accept all changes and exit)

Hủỵ bỏ tắt cả sư thay đỗi và thoất
(Cancel all changes and exit)

Nạp thông tin trên
(Load information on) — Replace (替换)

Mã địa chỉ không được sửa , chỉ sửa nếu bạn thật sự hiễu về nó và khi bạn phát hiện là nó bị sai.
(Code address is not correct, edit only if you really understand about it and when you discover that it was wrong.)

Tìm kiếm
(Search) — Find

Tiếp tục tìm (đi tới)
(Continue to find (go to)) — Next

Tìm và thay thể
(Find and replace) — Replace

Sao lưu ra thành một văn bản
(Backup out of a text) — Export (导出)

Là tạo thêm Msg và xóa bớt
(Is creating and deleting Msg) — Edit (编辑)

Hopefully that makes the study a bit easier.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 pm

That is outstanding, Lezard. Thanks for the English messages. With any luck, I'll be able to piece it together and make it work. The translations from the Veitnamese site will also help greatly. Thank you kindly. This should give me enough to work with.

The plan is to hopefully make the translation as close to the English version as possible without losing any of the original integrity. As a note, the first two things I want to fix are the in-game shouts of "Cock-a-doodle-doo!" and "Hateful!" Those just make me laugh whenever I see them!
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Unread postby DreamGoddessLindsey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:47 am

Okay, I've run into a slight problem. Some of the messages (currently Msg1345) won't edit. The "replace" button is not lit up and I can't figure out how to light it up to begin with. The messages about allies and friendly forces also don't want to allow the "replace" button. It seems to be utterly random as to whether or not it's allowed. Any help on that would be appreciated.

On a side note, this is definitely a long-term project that will take a lot of time. Still, I think I can handle it. I've already started cleaning up a lot of stuff.
DreamGoddessLindsey
Banned

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms