Questions About Stats on ROTK XI

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Questions About Stats on ROTK XI

Unread postby shauniewhite » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Is this correct?

Ldr - unit defense, inspection
War - unit offense, drill, duel
Int - unit strategy, base strategy, debate
Pol - unit develop, base develop, debate
Chr - recruit, employ

I see that majority of those with charisma are sovereigns. There are also strategists and generals such as Zhou Yu and Guan Yu. While I have some idea as to why some are given high or low Chr stats... I'd like to have the input of some here on the matter. The people here are often helpful and can translate history and novel facts into the game or how it would effect a general.

Does charisma effect other things besides recruiting troops, employing officers and soliciting surrender? Doing some reading around here I've seen someone mention it effects how fast or slow loyalty drops...

Why is Cao Pi's Chr only 82? Is it valid?

How about Yuan Shao's 81 / 69 / 70 / 71 / 90 ?

Ty looking forward to three kingdoms school.
shauniewhite
Initiate

Re: Questions About Stats on ROTK XI

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 pm

well Cao Pi's charisma being 82 is most likely due to that while he did have charisma, he's also not really ever shown in a positive light, there are several examples i can think of but i'm sure others here could explain that better then i could, but i will if i have too.

Yuan Shao's stats are pretty fitting considering his whole career he was successful until he fought cao cao and shown off some amazing levels of stupid. but he deserves his high stats.

now if your wondering was it intentionally put into the game for yuan shao to be considered a higher quality ruler then cao pi? i'm not entirely sure but i can tell you i'd rather work for yuan shao then cao pi.
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby shauniewhite » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:09 am

Xu Huang fan wrote:well Cao Pi's charisma being 82 is most likely due to that while he did have charisma, he's also not really ever shown in a positive light, there are several examples i can think of but i'm sure others here could explain that better then i could, but i will if i have too.

Yuan Shao's stats are pretty fitting considering his whole career he was successful until he fought cao cao and shown off some amazing levels of stupid. but he deserves his high stats.

now if your wondering was it intentionally put into the game for yuan shao to be considered a higher quality ruler then cao pi? i'm not entirely sure but i can tell you i'd rather work for yuan shao then cao pi.

Thanks for the insight. I was not comparing Cao Pi to Yuan Shao. I was actually more so asking why Yuan Shao's stats are not a little higher.

In regards to Cao Pi, I am just curious is 82 all he deserves. Cao Rui, his son, has 88.
shauniewhite
Initiate

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:39 am

Hmm let's see...

Ldr - unit defense, inspection
War - unit offense, drill, duel
Int - unit strategy, base strategy, debate
Pol - unit develop, base develop, debate
Chr - recruit, employ

Other than POL that sounds reasonable. I'm not sure what you mean by unit develop - fortifications, perhaps? - and POL is not used for debates. It does play a big factor with diplomatic actions, as does CHR. Anyway, yeah you more or less have the right idea.

I see that majority of those with charisma are sovereigns. There are also strategists and generals such as Zhou Yu and Guan Yu. While I have some idea as to why some are given high or low Chr stats... I'd like to have the input of some here on the matter. The people here are often helpful and can translate history and novel facts into the game or how it would effect a general.

CHR or charisma/charm basically equates to the real-life ability of someone to draw people to them and inspire them to action. Since many of the more successful leaders of the era had this innate draw, they have high CHR. This is particularly true for Cao Cao, Liu Bei, and the Sun Wu rulers overall. And someone like Yuan Shao, who was basically doing okay for himself before his fated battle with Cao Cao, and had a reputation even before Zhang Jue/Jiao's movement rose up, it makes sense to have a high CHR score.

Now for Zhou Yu. He wasn't a ruler, but his reputation certainly preceded him. He inspired action in his men. Fellow generals looked up to him. He was said to be very handsome, and was also said to have a very magnetic and magnanimous personality. He just naturally appealed to people, so he got a high CHR. I mean seriously, read his bio or something, it is like the guy could do no wrong. In fact I dislike him a tiny bit because he has no flaws haha :lol:

Guan Yu is probably a little more controversial in today's day and age. Both he and Zhang Fei were said to be flawed because they looked down on others and this led to their downfall. I'll probably catch some flak for this, but Guan Yu could actually be kind of a jerkface on occasion. Consider his rude response to Sun Quan's marriage proposal. Or how he freaked out Mi Fang and Fu Ren so much that they turned their backs on him and surrendered. That doesn't really sound like someone who is going to charm your pants off and make you cross the world for him.

Thus, I would say that Guan Yu's high CHR is mainly due to his status as a Chinese diety, his generally reserved attitude with certain people in positions of power, the intense interest that he generated within Cao Cao to obtain his services, and his relative success with governing aside from that end bit in Jing. But I wouldn't hesitate to say that his CHR is inflated, and should really be down in the low 80s at least when you ignore his special status. However, since he has enjoyed that folk hero/deity status for hundreds of years, he can kind of get away with it.

Why is Cao Pi's Chr only 82? Is it valid? [...] Cao Rui, his son, has 88.

I can't really say much regarding Cao Rui on his own, but compared to his father, he had less of a nasty reputation. Cao Pi got pretty deep into the court intrigues and certainly got his hands dirty during his power play efforts against Cao Zhi and his supporters. I think it is because of that, and because of his role as usurper of the throne in a game that seems to paint Shu-Han as the heroes, that his CHR is low.

But I think a case could be argued for him to have a higher CHR score, yes. He was much more successful than his brother Cao Zhi in court politics, and he had the support of some key players, such as Sima Yi. There was no mass exodus or great revolt when he forced Emperor Xian to abdicate, and in fact, he had strong support from pretty much all the big guys in Wei. I could see him having a CHR somewhere between 88 and 90, maybe not much higher...

Anyway, Cao Rui has 88 CHR because, despite some of his flaws during his rule, he has not really been perceived as being as villainous as his father, and he held Wei together well.

How about Yuan Shao's 81 / 69 / 70 / 71 / 90 ? [...] I was actually more so asking why Yuan Shao's stats are not a little higher.

Mainly because of his indecisiveness and poor performance against Cao Cao. His stats certainly allow him to be competent enough from a gameplay perspective, but he has to be a little rough around the edges and inferior to Cao Cao because many people view his loss at Guandu as rather damning.

LDR 81 - I guess I could see him getting a few points for gameplay purposes, say 84 or 85, but he left a lot of the notable battles in the hands of his commanders, like Qu Yi (who has really weird stats).
WAR 69 - Same reasoning as above, although 69 is a little harsh. I think it is mainly because Cao Cao's WAR is around the same area. I wouldn't put his WAR higher than his LDR, but it wouldn't hurt to close the gap a bit.
INT 70 - Did he really have any remarkable insights? His big claim is duping Han Fu and Gongsun Zan so Han Fu would surrender to him, right? And he dropped the ball when it came to rescuing the emperor, he couldn't see the advantages to it at the time. He also ignored Tian Feng's advice twice, right? 70 isn't great, but it is a bit generous.
POL 71 - Argh politics was his major weak point. He couldn't control the factions between his various advisors, and then he died without making his heir clear, which basically doomed his faction to eventually lose. He imprisoned Tian Feng simply because he disagreed with Tian's advice, and had Qu Yi killed. He could draw the talent in, but he couldn't keep control of it as time went on, so if I had my say his POL would be in like the 50s!
CHR 90 - Personally I think it is a little high but don't mind throwing him a bone. Many consider his faction the unofficial fourth kingdom, and 90 would suit that reputation.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby shauniewhite » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:42 am

Wow! Thank you, that was very informative and in depth. Especially on Cao Pi and Cao Rui.

I think I will read up on Yuan Shang, XI, Tan, and others within Yuan Shao's force to make them a little better.
shauniewhite
Initiate

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 am

shauniewhite wrote:Wow! Thank you, that was very informative and in depth. Especially on Cao Pi and Cao Rui.

I think I will read up on Yuan Shang, XI, Tan, and others within Yuan Shao's force to make them a little better.

i think Tan and Xi are fine where they are.

Shang could use afew more points overall, like maybe 2-5 in each stat?
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:29 am

shauniewhite wrote:I think I will read up on Yuan Shang, XI, Tan, and others within Yuan Shao's force to make them a little better.

The main thing with them is that they need a skill, they stick out like a sore thumb because of that. Not necessarily something big like Divine X or whatever, but it's nice for them to have something, e.g. Promotion, Forced Gallop, Exterminate, etc.

Stats, I really couldn't say, others can discuss them more comprehensively than I can.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 am

...make a skill that divides gold and food income by three, attach it to Yuan Tan. XD
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 am

DragonAtma wrote:...make a skill that divides gold and food income by three, attach it to Yuan Tan. XD

i don't think yuan tan really deserves a skill, Xi should get a non combat related skill and Shang might get some small combat skill.

i just can't think of anything special about Tan

EDIT: i just realized you were making fun of Yuan Tan :oops:
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:02 am

Xu Huang fan wrote:EDIT: i just realized you were making fun of Yuan Tan :oops:

:lol:

I just have a hang-up about kids of famous officers not getting skills, especially if they were evenly remotely noteworthy. So like Taishi Xiang can stay as crappy as always, but I feel like Yuan Tan needs a skill so the player feels compelled to actually bother using him in battle at all. I wouldn't even bother otherwise.
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms