Rotk XI - Rules for a More Challenging Game

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Rotk XI - Rules for a More Challenging Game

Unread postby Masada » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:55 am

Hello Everyone,

Been a while since I have posted here but today at work I got incredibly bored and typed up a list of rules to adhere by to make the game of ROTK XI more challenging to keep us in the swing of things while we wait for the much anticipated ROTK XII!

Without further ado, here are the rules. Please comment and let me know your thoughts and also any logical, easy to apply rules you may have thought of!

1) Cannot hire anyone who's loyalty is not 90 or below
Excludes: Captured Enemies
Explanation: Makes it harder to convert enemy officers and to gain *possibly* valuable troops and generals through pure dumb luck.

2) Cannot execute any officer with a single stat over 85
Excludes: Captured Enemies after eliminating their force
Explanation: So you cannot execute all of (Enter hated Kingdom >here<) officers to reduce their power.

3) Cannot use Rumor to lower enemy loyalties
Explanation: Too easy to reduce Officer loyalty.

4) Cannot possess more cities than any other opponent
Examples: Cao Cao owns 7 Cities : You can own no more than 7 Cities
Excludes: Alliance Forces cities are a combined number - Including your own Allies
Explanation: This keeps you from expanding too rapidly and forces you to be picky and choosy about your path of explanation. Also lets you play more defensively in certain situations and gives the computer an opportunity to keep the playing level fair throughout the game.
Exception: Null and Void when there are 3 kingdoms.

5) Optional : Extra hard
Can posses no more than 5 officers with a stat over:
LDR: 85 (or 90 to make it slightly easier )
War: 90 ( or 85 to make it slightly harder )
Int: 85 ( or 90 to make it slightly easier )
Pol: 90
Cha:90
Excludes: If an officer qualifies for 2 or more categories, they only take up 1 space in your selected slot
Excludes: Rulers do not count.
Keep in Mind: Officers whose stats are increased through Research and Development count.
IF: You obtain more than the allowed amount of officers, you must immediately discard of an officer to replace him.
Exception: This rule is Null and Void when you reach a 1v1 for the country.
Explanation: This stops all you hoarders who covet having all the big wigs…
Tip: You can always release officers in certain area's to help the chance that a certain *weaker* force obtains them

6) No Saving and reloading before Searches, Duels, etc…
Explanation: If you search and find >insert general with high int< with Lu Bu… no going back and choosing someone else. Same goes for Duals, be selective and careful about whom you want to split into two with cavalry units!

7) Optional: Extra Hard - PUK Only
Rules to markets and farms per city:
10 Construction Zones: 2 markets, 2 farms, no mints/silo
12 Construction Zones: 2 markets, 2 farms, 1 mint/1 silo
15 Construction Zones: 3 markets, 3 farms, 1 mint/1 silo
18+ Construction Zones: 4 markets, 4 farms 1 mint/1 silo
Exceptions: A Big Market may be substituted for 2 Markets, Fish Market for 1 Market, 1 to 1 on Farm Armies
Explanation: This keeps you from just hoarding too many resources and makes those resources that much more precious. Also allows you to focus on some of the more interesting buildings that were put in.
Keep in Mind: You should personally oversee the development of each city before putting it under CPU control to keep these ratio's true.

8) Events OFF
Explanation: This keeps your officers from inviting officers from around the country to join as well as keeps other forces from getting easy access to far away generals.

9) Optional : Extra Hard
Creating your own Officers or Force
Limits to officer of a created force: No More Than 10
Additional Option: Starting City may have no more than 12 construction spaces; rank must be at the lowest.
Age Limit: 65
Ruler: Ruler : 350 allocation points *Average 70* - 90 Cap
3 Officers : 325 allocation points *Average 65* - 85 Cap
3 Officers : 275 allocation points *Average 55* - 75 Cap – Basic Skills Allowed Only With Corresponding Stat Capped at 75
3 Officers : 225 allocation points *Average 45* - 65 Cap – No Skills
In General Though: All other created officers are allowed up to 325 points to allocate *Average 65* with a cap on each stat at 85.
Additionally: Any Advanced *Completion of Game* Skills unlocked require 80+ in that attribute
Exceptions: Any of the skills: Tax/Wealthy/Agriculture/(Other Agriculture)/Fame require a 85 in politics (Fame Requires 85 Cha.) Hi-Tech and Breed requires an Int of 85.
Banned Skills: Capture, All Ploys Succeed, All Skills Crit
Leadership to Soldier Type Proficiency: 70 – 1 A 80 – 1 S
War to Soldier Type proficiency: 70 – 1 A 80 – 1 S
Additionally: 1 S = 2 A
Example: Ldr 80+ War 80+ Officers may have a combination such as: (2 S – No A), (1 S – 2 A), (4 A – No S)

Additional Option: Any officers set to “APPEAR” after 220AD are only allowed to allocate 300 points *Average 60* with a cap at 80 for Ldr and War and a cap of 85 for Pol, Int, and Cha.
Additional Option: Any “Heir” to a created force is allowed 300 points to Allocate *Average 60* with caps at 85.

10) Optional : Emperors – PUK Only – Requires EDIT
When there are 3 kingdoms left to complete, all 3 forces gets an instant upgrade to emperor status.
Explanation: This allows all 3 kingdoms to get full access to prime ministers and allows all forces to separate stronger more famed officers from the newer officers with fewer deeds to command large armies.

11) Optional: Declining to Persuade an Officer to Join you.
Explanation: Because of the no reloading rule (you get 1 shot), this is a very painful rule… This forces you to reconsider searching… and not using the easy way to obtain officers * If you didn’t know, decline to pursued, then just send someone to hire the officer normally.
Example: *DING DING* You found Zhuge Liang - Hire? - YES! - “CONVINCE ME BITCH” *GODDAMNIT!*
How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd;
Masada
Initiate

Re: Rotk XI - Rules for a More Challenging Game

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:22 am

i can see number 4 being a huge pain in the butt in the earlier stages, as the AI doesn't expand that fast...that and what if you have an equil amount, then you take over one city, would you have to stop?
Ding Feng/Sun Shang Xiang is my new one true crack pairing XD (thank you ROT3KXI)
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:46 am

I guess a lot of them are fine if you want a really challenging game. I find that limiting recruitments to captured officers that agree to switch when first asked, and recommended officers, is sufficiently difficult while still allowing you to enjoy a solid talent pool.

I've tried all kinds of stalling tactics to draw games out. One that I used a few times is only taking four cities per decade in RoH. But the thing is, you can only slow down so much before you find yourself conducting repetitive defenses that barely affect you and restrict you from capitalizing, and basically just sitting on piles of resources with nothing to do.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kisjov » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:05 pm

These rules probably wouldn't work with regular RTK11(at least not until you downsize the numbers) but they're the rules i follow for the war of china custom scenario.

-Each city can only recruit troops once a month from January to August

-Only 8 officers can be jailed after defeating a force(excluding those captured in combat). the rest are left to chance

-Alliances and cease-fires can only be used if you have less than 6 cities(you can only accept cease-fires after obtaining 6+ cities.)

-Relations with Allied forces must be above neutral

-Limit the max # of troops each city can hold(regular city-210,000, big city-300,000)

-Every 4 years of recruitment is followed by a one year ban

-Limit the number of officers your force can have(180 in my game)
Kisjov
Tyro

Unread postby willguo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:40 am

The easiest thing to do to make the game harder is to greatly lower the number of troops each unit can lead via Van's Editor. If you cap the troops to something like 11,000 max for rulers and 8,000 for officers at the highest titles. Then, with no rank the ruler can only control 6000 troops and officers 3000.

Effects:

1) Lots more units for an effective invasion. This would greatly increase dependency on second tier officers for invading, as the human utilizes the best generals more often, it would help level the playing field.

2) Shift the odds from attacking to defending. By requiring more generals to effectively invade, it'll invite attacks on the home city more often. The AI loves to capitalize on undermanned cities.

3) Increase value of defensive structures. The AI loves to build these, and forts would be much harder to destroy with fewer troops.

4) Increase the relative damage of fire, which the AI also loves and utilizes well.

This change will effectively kill any of the smaller forces with few officers, but I'm guessing most people don't play those that often anyway...
willguo
Tyro

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:35 pm

willguo wrote:The easiest thing to do to make the game harder is to greatly lower the number of troops each unit can lead via Van's Editor. If you cap the troops to something like 11,000 max for rulers and 8,000 for officers at the highest titles. Then, with no rank the ruler can only control 6000 troops and officers 3000.

For those who don't have the japanese/chinese version and thus can't use Van's Editor, you can hex edit the values in the scenario.s11 file. That way you can also assign stat boosts to lower military ranks and such.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:00 pm

willguo wrote:The easiest thing to do to make the game harder is to greatly lower the number of troops each unit can lead via Van's Editor. If you cap the troops to something like 11,000 max for rulers and 8,000 for officers at the highest titles. Then, with no rank the ruler can only control 6000 troops and officers 3000.

Effects:

1) Lots more units for an effective invasion. This would greatly increase dependency on second tier officers for invading, as the human utilizes the best generals more often, it would help level the playing field.

2) Shift the odds from attacking to defending. By requiring more generals to effectively invade, it'll invite attacks on the home city more often. The AI loves to capitalize on undermanned cities.

3) Increase value of defensive structures. The AI loves to build these, and forts would be much harder to destroy with fewer troops.

4) Increase the relative damage of fire, which the AI also loves and utilizes well.

This change will effectively kill any of the smaller forces with few officers, but I'm guessing most people don't play those that often anyway...

I really don't see this making it harder unless you're playing as one of the factions this would render effectively unplayable. Every disadvantage it gives the player applies to the AI. I'd just use more defensive stuctures and always research First right after Drill Troops.
Edit: I do see it making the game take longer, though, since you'll need to sit around turtling a lot more.

Edit: I actually did the exact opposite of this, once, greatly increasing how many troops a single officers could command. I find it hard to say it changed the difficulty much; it meant both the player and the AI could use their best officers effectively as soon as they were recruited.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't think it's an issue with making it harder, but rather with forcing the human player to change up his strategies.

I know how that's going to trip me up, anyway, since I don't normally bother with fire in the game (shocking for a Wuist, I know), nor with preventing fire attacks.
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:45 pm

I was thinking about this reduced troops idea this evening, nothing on TV tonight. Anyway, in one way, it would make sense, because you read about so many battles with just a few thousand or even hundreds of troops under a commander. It could work if...

- You set the max rankless troops to 500 or something
- Gave the first rank a 1,000 limit and went up in 1,000 troop increments
- City max troops is lowered I suppose, otherwise it seems silly

Major problems would be that fire traps would obliterate lower ranks. Since traps always succeed, that stings. Of course, 500-1,000 troop units can't really build them in one turn, either. Also, it would totally skew the already somewhat overpowered Military Reform tech. If you beeline for it and get there first, you'll be smacking people around I guess.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:25 pm

Zyzyfer wrote:I was thinking about this reduced troops idea this evening, nothing on TV tonight. Anyway, in one way, it would make sense, because you read about so many battles with just a few thousand or even hundreds of troops under a commander. It could work if...

- You set the max rankless troops to 500 or something
- Gave the first rank a 1,000 limit and went up in 1,000 troop increments
- City max troops is lowered I suppose, otherwise it seems silly

Major problems would be that fire traps would obliterate lower ranks. Since traps always succeed, that stings. Of course, 500-1,000 troop units can't really build them in one turn, either. Also, it would totally skew the already somewhat overpowered Military Reform tech. If you beeline for it and get there first, you'll be smacking people around I guess.

I think lowering it that much might lead to "rocket tag" battles early on; a quick test showed 500 vs 500 of Zhang Liao (cav) vs Cao Cao (spear) had Cao Cao losing almost half his unit from a single tactic. The damage system doesn't scale very well at lower levels.

About the fire traps; I think with the Fortification skill the small units can get the trap up in one turn. Now note that Wu has Fortification AND Divine Fire...
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms