What is the single best character skill in ROTK 11?

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Total votes : 0

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:04 am

Firstly, be realistic. If you love Ma Chao and were going to choose Divine Cavalry, why do so when Puissance is an option? Fleetness is great, but Flying General is on the poll, and Divine Potency=Agile Mind+Intensify+Detection, so picking any of the latter three is irrelevant when Divine Potency is up. If you think an unlisted skill is the best, please explain the skill you chose. Lastly, pick the single best skill, not a Black Arts Focus combo.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: What is the single best character skill in ROTK 11?

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:54 am

Voted Capture. As great as some of the skills are, Capture borders on "I Win" button; it's use puts your opponent into a Morton's fork; if he uses his best officers to resist, you can capture them with certainty when you destroy the unit--even if you lose you can probably capture at least one or two of them (followed by execution or fleeing with your prisoner if the captive unit is low on troops). If he doesn't, you beat him and take the city much more easily.

Wu having two of guys with it in middle period scenarios is just sadistic.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby mrbeate » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:27 am

Black Arts - I enjoy going " ZAP ZAP ZAP!!" against troops.
Smoke, drink, relieve my stress
mrbeate
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 am

Not qualified to make a "best of all time" judgement, but I've been very impressed by Lu Lingqi's Stampede:

When the associated unit successfully uses any cavalry tactic against a unit with a lower ATK, it will cause the unit to become Confused.

Usually, you have to compartmentalize your force into units designed to hit as hard as possible using Tactics, and units designed to use Strategies to Confuse the enemy. This skill gives you an extremely deadly combination of the two.

Also want to put in a good word for Enlister, especially when wielded by Xun Yu. If there are hidden officers in a city, his Search will always find them, and he seems able to recruit almost any officer he finds (though he may have to win a debate first).
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby HouHuangDi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:49 am

Divine Potency> I just think confuse/misinform deals with most problem. Combined with focus/ and the other skill that cause 1 extra adj unit the same status effect.
HouHuangDi
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:30 am

If you didn't know, the greatest skill in the game is --

Hehehe!
PUISSANCE!!!!

Why? Because Yi of Wu says so.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:44 am

I was thinking of something similar. More along the lines of picking a best three, though. Picking one single skill that is the ultimate to have is very limiting, and basically boils down to which skills are the most broken (Capture, Black Arts, Stampede...oh wait lol).

My favorites, in no particular order:

Insight - Particularly on a ruler. It just seems like a magnet for enemy strategies. Still vulnerable to tactics, so not overpowered.

Flying General/Fleetness - Fleetness by itself is kind of lame, but Flying General or Fleetness boosting some other good skills gives you the ability to be where you want, when you want.

Focus - It's broken stacked with the right skills. But it is extremely useful.

Efficacy - Ridiculously good, you get the most use out of this domestic skill than almost any other - Fame's boost isn't double and Breeding only gives bonus for one unit type. I tend to purchase half my troop count of each set of weapons in a given city, and this speeds things up very well. Also helps in a pinch when you take a city with a narrowly focused force (of say, spears or bows) and find yourself in dire need of another unit type fast.

Divine Fire - I keep forgetting that it boosts bow Incinerate bonus damage. I think I might finally break away from the "stun gun" style of play and give my main created force strategist this skill in place of Agile Mind. It has so many unique uses it's insane. I really want to have more fun with this skill.

Honorable mention to skills like Range, Bowmanship, and White Riders. Stuff like Puissance and Divine Potency is obviously good and doesn't really require mention.

Letdowns:

Suppression - Bandits still can appear. Better than X Ties.

X Ties - Generally useless since Order is strongly tied to resources, only matters in a small area of the map.

Aegis - That double fire damage zings. Imagine Zhou Yu lighting a level 4 fire trap on Wu Tugu. :huohu:

Fire Assault - Lighting a fire on an adjacent unit is a last-ditch tactic. Slightly better after Fire Strategem.

Detection - Gee, units with lower INT rarely succeed anyway.

Iron Wall - AI rarely does joint attacks. This skill should have been Aegis minus increased fire damage.

Indestructible - With a 500 troop max and only 50% success, this skill is more effective on the water - unless you're facing Wu - than on land.
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Human5 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:07 pm

I like capture the most, because I tend to execute all those who don't join me. :twisted:
But what is God's Command? It sounds godly.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Human5 wrote:I like capture the most, because I tend to execute all those who don't join me. :twisted:
But what is God's Command? It sounds godly.

That's Guan Yu's skill; on land both tactics and regular attacks become critical hits if the officer who has the skill has better War than anyone in the enemy unit.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:25 pm

God's Command is just that: godly.

I just didn't want a whole load of Black Arts votes because that won't help me :(
Think of it like you can only pick one skill for one officer who is supposed to be insanely overpowered but a loner.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms