RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Jedi » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:19 am

My dad and I were Serveing Gongsun Zan and we took most of the north. Then Gongsun Zan dies in the year 206 (we started in the year 189) then Gongsun Xu takes over and makes us attack like crazy for the next 8 years. Then he became emperior in the year 214 then we finshed off Ma Teng to end the game at the year 217 how bout that? And Gongsun Xu's Empire was called Yan

Mod Edit (Sun Gongli): Turned into RTK8 discussion thread
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fayt13 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:02 pm

YES! Finally a RTK VIII thread.

And darn, that's pretty crazy. You should try defeating Cao Cao though in the 194 scenario. I always have problems with that.
Fayt13
Tyro

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:09 pm

I defeated the game with Zhang Liao at the year 194, myself the Emperor of Song I believe
It is curious that the Americans, who calculate so carefully on the possibilities of military victory, do not realize that in the process they are incurring deep psychological and political defeat.
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:31 pm

One scenario that I remember was that I was playing as Sun Ce in the anti-Dong Zhuo scenario, and eventually the land was split into three: Yuan Tan in the north and Liu Zhang and Sun Jian in the south. Liu Zhang and Sun Jian were allied against Yuan Tan, but Sun Jian died of natural causes, and for some reason, Sun Quan was named his successor rather than me. I rebelled and allied with Cao Cao, and together, the two of us held off Sun Quan and Yuan Tan for some time, even after Yuan Tan had conquered Liu Zhang. Finally, however, Cao Cao was conquered by Yuan Tan before I could do much in the reinforcement, and soon after, Yuan Tan came after me. I held him off from 204 until 223, but with Sun Quan and Yuan Tan allied against me, I had no chance to conquer other cities.

I'd managed to repel them every time they invaded, but I got tired of fighting them both every three months, so I let Lu Bu be the commander instead of me. He managed to lose, so Yuan Tan captured us all. I'd trained Sun Ce quite well by that point - 100 in both WAR and INT. So when Yuan Tan captured me, he was desperate to recruit me. I agreed, and was promptly named his top advisor and later Viceroy. I conquered Sun Quan with Yuan Tan's Dong Zhuo-and-Cao Cao-and-Liu Bei-ified armies at my disposal, and I got an ending in which Sun Ce went on to become a famous strategist, commander, and inventor of military hardware and helped Yuan Tan expand his dominion all over Asia.

I also had one in which Sun Ce's created daughter, Sun Xianfei, conquered China the turn after Sun Ce had died of natural causes. That was amusing, to say the least.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Jedi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:33 pm

Fayt13 wrote:
You should try defeating Cao Cao though in the 194 scenario. I always have problems with that.

I have tried and failed many times
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Fayt13 » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:20 am

Jedi wrote:
Fayt13 wrote:
You should try defeating Cao Cao though in the 194 scenario. I always have problems with that.

I have tried and failed many times

I somehow have held off Cao Cao and Yuan Tan as a prefect in Liu Bei's force as a prefect (I'm his most veteran officer besides Guan Yu and Zhang Fei) I'm currently the strongest force by far but Cao Cao is pushing south towards me as I push West towards Wu. (I couldn't get on good terms with them)
Fayt13
Tyro

Unread postby Jong Quo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:20 pm

I recently purchased this (only version released in Britain AFAIK) and never played any of these types of game, any tips you can give me on how/where to start? an no, 'start with the manual' japes here please.
Favourite DW 4 Quotes:
Wei Yan: Death... Impossible!
Dong Zhou: Another Insect, Crushed!!
Dian Wei: Alright, Who's Next!!
Huang Zhong: Another victory for Huang Zhong!!
Jong Quo
Langzhong

Unread postby Zeche » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:58 am

I'm also having some troubles winning with this game. I played as Zhou Yu under Sun Jian in the 191 scenario. We got the 5 cities that border Changsha but then Liu Biao took the city east of Changsha and boxed us in. We never seemed to get enough troops to expand our borders so we just hung around until Yuan Shao took out Liao Biao. We were just left with Ma Teng (3 cities), Sun Jian (4 cities) and Yuan Shao with the rest of China. It was a complete standstill for 7 years so I just said "**** it" and restart as Zhou Yu in the same year. This time we were able to get around 8 cities but once they built up their defense, it's a complete standstill again. Any tips on how to expand our borders?
Zeche
Academic

Unread postby Ricky » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:31 pm

I love this game. My first Rotk ever too. I always play as Cao Cao or Zhou Yu. Very good. I like the tactic ''Spearwall'' about the best. I'm always going crazy when I play this game. But I haven't played it recently. Too bad. The best year is the start, with Cao Cao. Then work your way to his empire.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:45 am

I have the PC version of ROTK8 (with PUK) in Chinese, and they have this really neat feature: basically, there are three scenarios of battles with branching story paths. I forget what Cao Cao's paths are, but the Wu path involves the conquest of Jing, Yiling, and the aftermath.

One thing, however: Wu has no really excellent officers for the final battle against Wei/Shu (depends on the story path). Yes, you have Lu Xun, but Xu Sheng, Zhu Huan, and Ding Feng are no match (in the game) for Wei's Zhang Liao and Xu Huang or Shu's Zhao Yun, Guan Xing, and Zhang Bao.

The Shu path is basically the Northern Campaigns, including an almost unwinnable Jieting battle.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms