RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Ricky » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Nope. Liu Chan! Liu Bei's Son, just added the (S) for Shan so it wouldn't be confusing for anyone. :)
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:22 am

I was playing as Zhou Yu and Sun Quan, and Sun Ce was executed by Cao Cao. Both declared Cao Cao as their nemesis and went about executing each and every one of his family... it felt actually rewarding to be taking vengeance for his death with my own two hands. That's one thing I like about this game.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby EmperorWu » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:58 am

It can be a pain though. When you have to kill all the Zhang, Liu, Guan families. You can end up losing plenty of good officers if you kill the wrong guy. I dislike the fact that people will stop talking to you if you kill a few people. I'm nefarious? They should be happy I let them go so many times, even though they started the war. Besides some people deserve to die. Darn Liu Bei, never lets me join his force...
EmperorWu
Assistant

Unread postby siriusstar » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:01 am

I was so lucky. I play Cao Cao when he raising troops in Chen Liu. I fought with Dong Zhuo, luckily he died then his army separated into 3 smaller forces then I won them all including hiring Lu Bu. Then I fought with Gongsu Zan (I was lucky because somehow Gongsun Zan blocking the expansion of Yuan Shao in Bo Hai by expanding all the cities around Bo Hai - so I just make ally with Ma Teng and Liu Bei (at that time in Ping Yuan) then attack Yuan Shao in Bo Hai, then attack Gongsun Zan in Liao Dong and other northern cities. Then I blasted off Liu Bei. Then I ally with Sun Jian and Liu Zhang to blast off Liu Biao. Right now I got the real Three Kingdoms with Liu Zhang in Yi Zhou and Sun Jian in Chang Sa - Ling Ling - Wu Ling.

Another lucky thing for me is I got most the famous officers of future Shu: Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, Ma Chao, Zhao Yun, Wei Yan(love this guy), (including Liu Bei) and common officers of Wei: Xu Huang, Zhang Liao, The Xiahous, Cao Ren, Cao hong, Yue Jin, Ye Jin, Dian Wei, Hou Cheng, and including Yuan Shao's generals: Yan Liang, Wen Shou, and including Lu Xun of Wu, and Lu Bu.

And the warlords I have: Zhuge Liang, Xu Shu, Xun you, Xun Yu, Cheng Yu, Jia Xu, Guo Jia (love this guy but he died so early like in the novels), Xu You, Man Chong, Fi Ji, , Ma Liang, Mi Zhu, Mi Fang, Sun Qian (Liu Bei's advisor not Sun Quan - Sun Jian's son)...Pang Tong now is the war lord for Sun Jian. I like Guo Jia more than Zhuge Liang, but he died so early. If he stayed longer, Cao Cao would not lose in Chi Bi.

My strategy is when attacking one force , allying with another force so you don't have to face two forces in two - three sides. And the stupid thing is if you don't ally with them your officers in these neighboring cities will attack them. If you lose, you may lose your officers. And another of my strategy is DON'T kill many officers, you may not hire them at first but you can hire them later after make friend with them or let your Prefect hire them. That's why I got all of Liu Bei's force (at that time only 3 brothers and Guan Ping). Xiahou Dun hire Xu Shu and Zhuge Liang. I only kill Gongsun Zan and Ma Teng. The stupid thing is Ma Chao still let me hire him after I kill his father Ma Teng. And the same with Zhao Yun. Peng De is good officer too. The officer that I don't have is Wu's officers (but I got Lu Xun, Lu Su, Zhang Zhao, Zhou Tai, Taisi Ci - all the best ones except Zhou yu).

Now I concentrate troops in Jiang Xia for another Chi Bi with Sun Jian (still ally with Liu Zhang). Hopefully I will unite China soon. Now I have most of China, Liu Zhang got 4 provinces of Yi Zhou, Sun Jian got 4 provinces of Jing Nan. I let Cao Ren defense in Han Zhong to block Liu Zhang. Yue Jin in Jiang Xia, Xiahou Dun in Xiang Yang to block off Sun Jian. And still allying with them but will break the alliance soon to attack them.

Pretty much done with RTK VIII, will try again with Zhou Yu.

Anyone here played RTK X or XI ? If so, how are they? RTK VIII pretty much like RTK VII (the one I played before). I heard that they suck but the graphics much better. All I care is the AI is better. I wanna try to play them but they don't have that anymore on PS2. I played RTK 8 on PS3.
siriusstar
Tyro

Unread postby EmperorWu » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:02 am

siriusstar wrote:And the stupid thing is if you don't ally with them your officers in these neighboring cities will attack them. If you lose, you may lose your officers.

All you have to do to keep them from attacking is giving their city a policy.

siriusstar wrote:Anyone here played RTK X or XI ? If so, how are they? RTK VIII pretty much like RTK VII (the one I played before). I heard that they suck but the graphics much better. All I care is the AI is better. I wanna try to play them but they don't have that anymore on PS2. I played RTK 8 on PS3.

RTK 10 is really fun and if you like 8 you'll like this one as well. It follows more of the PRG style 8 had. The AI is incredibly easy to beat though. Very nice graphics and an improved map.
EmperorWu
Assistant

Unread postby siriusstar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:59 am

Emperor_Wu wrote:
siriusstar wrote:And the stupid thing is if you don't ally with them your officers in these neighboring cities will attack them. If you lose, you may lose your officers.

All you have to do to keep them from attacking is giving their city a policy.

siriusstar wrote:Anyone here played RTK X or XI ? If so, how are they? RTK VIII pretty much like RTK VII (the one I played before). I heard that they suck but the graphics much better. All I care is the AI is better. I wanna try to play them but they don't have that anymore on PS2. I played RTK 8 on PS3.

RTK 10 is really fun and if you like 8 you'll like this one as well. It follows more of the PRG style 8 had. The AI is incredibly easy to beat though. Very nice graphics and an improved map.

Thanks Emperor Wu :) :D
siriusstar
Tyro

Unread postby eyeofmordor42 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:56 pm

My friend and I started playing this game the other day with created characters. We were doing just fine and had participated in a battle together where we had a lot of fun. But for some reason the next couple of battles that we were supposed to be involved in were automated for some reason. He Jin asked us if we would participate and we agreed. It then just switched to the brown map and showed the quick battle results.

We couldn't find anywhere that we might have adjusted settings so I'm very confused. If anyone knows why it does this I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.
eyeofmordor42
Tyro

Unread postby futzyuller » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:59 pm

I'm going to start up a game of ROT3K VIII this weekend, and I was wondering something, having never played this one before (I've played VII.) If you create a character, and play through a scenario as a free officer or something, and you build up your stats, do you then carry those over when you play new games and scenarios? In other words, I was thinking of playing as a free officer at first to build up all my character stats, then use the same character as a Ruler later. Does this make sense? Can it work that way?
futzyuller
Tyro

Unread postby Duncan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:14 pm

Sorry futzyuller, missed this before.

Your created character can build up stats as a free officer, and then go on to become ruler within the same game. All you have to do is join a force (or start your own) and then rise to the top.

I don't think created officer stats change between games, but if you are successful in unlocking stuff you can probably edit or create new officers with better stats for your next game.
"No more 200-yr-old flakes of parchment getting trapped in 'problem areas'..."
Liu Yuante
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby seclorus » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Hello SoSZ,

The following is a method for achieving any level of tactical mastery desired for any single character in-game. It relies on controlling multiple people at once initially to subsequently 'train' the character in question, one staged battle at a time, getting mastery of many tactics from level 1 to M within a relative measure of half a season under optimal conditions (and thus, all tactics within two years). You'll even get a nice money or fame bonus if you wish.

First off, it's an informal method employed only by one person I know of, designed below to mirror a series of thought exercises of the in-game character's over some months or few years' time and thus to be as unobstructive a method to one's normal play as possible. If anyone has any suggestions to improve upon it or criticism about any negative or disagreeable aspects it may harbor I would be eager to read them and respond to your suggestions.

--

1) Create your new character, either with the tactics you wish to train already in possession, or if anything is lacking, simply make him a friend of a special character or characters who have sufficiently high levels of the missing skills. For example, William Cody and Albert Einstein cover the full gamut of tactics except for Magic sufficiently high (for which Ben Franklin can supplement).

2) Since you can control up to eight officers at once, make a complementary number of junk officers with any skills (preferably Cavalry included for battle travel speed, as seen below). For instance, if you create a character and use Albert Einstein as a teacher, create six other junk characters, preferably with the Cavalry skill.

3) Set your character's birth year to the selected scenario's. Be sure to make all others' birth dates similar or the same, and ensure the teachers have compatibility with stated character (set their friend to you, and you to your favorite historical character or chosen alignment)

4) Select new game and choose yourself, your teacher(s) (if applicable), and the supplementary junk officers. In the New Force subscreen, make yourself a new ruler in an empty town with your teachers as subordinates, and the extras in another force adjacent to you (all scenarios besides 263 AD have at least one pair of adjacent empty cities), with any miscellaneous ruler chosen. Begin the game.

(continued in next post)
seclorus
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms