RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Unread postby Ricky » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:46 am

Hehe. When you actually imagine it, it's twice as funny. *Turns around, BOOM! Your dead*

Also I've been playing the game, and found out something. When you leave all officers to the computer and your just watching, press and hold R1 L1 R2 L2 Start and Select. (Ps2 version only) You can play with anybody all over-again! Some people might know already, this trick but just saying for the people that don't know it yet.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jedi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:54 pm

Ricky wrote:O RLY?!
I just had to post it! :)
I take-back what I said about Wang Zhong. Tao Jun wins the prize! I wonder what was going through Koei's ideas by making portraits like him. He looks like some one actually admitted that he was ugly. And was a cheap quality-looking general?! Either way, this looks so much funnier than staring at Wang Zhong or Xiahou Mao's curiosity.

LOL I forgot about that one!
“A single rose can be my garden...a single friend, my world.” - Leo F. Buscaglia
Jedi
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranmaru Mori » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:26 am

Maybe someone can help me I have a question. When you create a character in this game with one of the historical faces and give them one of there real names they get a Bio. I have some like Sun Shang Xiang's face with the name sun ren. Here's the others I have.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmes ... c=39981621
Ranmaru Mori
Apprentice

Unread postby Charsiupao » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:18 am

Hi all!

I just started RTKVIII, just rereleased for the PC under the "Koei The Best" collection. I've played many RTKs before - 2,3,4,9 and 11, but this is the first one I'm playing with the RPG mode thing, and I'd appreciate some advice.

I started as a custom officer, 60 war, 80+ int, 70+ pol and cha, and lived a carefree life until I decided to join Yuan Shao. I then take orders every quarter and spend almost all my time doing civil works. I can do it around twice a month, maybe 3 times the 3rd month if I don't do anything else for the first two - total of 6 or 7 times. I can get away with doing probably just 4 and still avoid the wooden spoon during the quarterly meetings, and spend the free time building my stats in my house or my skills in the barracks. With small pockets of free time I visit officers I like and build up friendships.

During the quarterly meeting, I notice that anything I proposed, other than spying on other cities, seems to be rejected. Even when I became really good friends with Tian Feng, and he would wholeheartedly support everything I say, Yuan Shao refused to let me recruit people or do plots. I put it down to perhaps the AI reflecting Yuan Shao's penchant for ignoring good advice, and disliking Tian Feng anyway, so I restarted and ended up working for Liu Bei.

With Liu Bei, I quickly became firm friends with Guan Yu, his advisor, but still couldn't get my proposals through. Then suddenly Liu Bei made me advisor instead, and suddenly almost anything I proposed went through. Do you have to be an advisor before your liege will let you do nice things?

If I don't want to play a liege and am contented to play as a follower, how should I approach the game? Just do my work every quarter, build up my stats and slave away? What are the strategies you can employ to make a difference to your liege? I wanted to play custom officer under Yuan Shao at Guandu and see if I could help him beat Cao Cao and give him the good advice he needed, but it's very hard to do anything if he never listens.

Some basic advice I'd love is .. what approach to take if I want to be a loyal follower, and what approach to take if I want to be a liege. What skills are good to start with, and which ones are easy to get in-game anyway, and of course which ones are very useful. This game seems to be very popular on many boards, but not many people have given any good tips on how to play it. Thanks for any help.
Charsiupao
Initiate

Unread postby Duncan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:02 pm

With most of my characters I didn't bother with suggestions - I figured that no-one likes a smart aleck, so keep your mouth shut and let the liege come to you.

You have to be aware of the constraints on lieges. Yuan Shao with a lot of officers and a large army has very high costs, and recruiting new officers will increase these costs, so he probably doesn't want to do this. Completing difficult tasks successfully also earns a bonus that he may not be able to afford.

One of your problems with getting leaders to give you good tasks is that all your stats are reasonably high but nothing so great that you are the natural choice for any one. High CHA can help with persuasion, but you need to be good friends with your leader (sworn brothers is good), and choose tasks that require CHA as well (like recruiting free officers).

Focus a lot on training one stat, and doing tasks that also benefit that stat and you will probably find the associated skills follow soon after.

If you can earn a bit of cash, buying the items that will give you a stat bonus (and especially aquiring those that give you skills) is a great stepping stone. If you get a +2 item, you can give the +1 as tribute to your liege to raise friendship with him. If he doesn't trust you or like you he might ask for the +2 item.

I have the PS2 version, but my PS2 is disconnected at the moment. As soon as I get it plugged back in I'll figure out some more thoughts for you.

EDIT: As for being a liege, recruit people with high INT and especially CHA and your enemies will suffer the consequences of their best officers' betrayal! Once you have a series of excellent officers your cities will perform better, your armies will perform better, and you will unify China. :D
"No more 200-yr-old flakes of parchment getting trapped in 'problem areas'..."
Liu Yuante
Duncan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby nerazzurri » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:44 pm

K, i've started the game and passed a few years, but it all went horribly wrong upon going to war. I couldn't work out what on earth was going on, who fought for who, how to attack etc. i can't make sense of it, any basics would be much appreciated.

also, how do you start your own kingdom, i went to a blank town with no castle or officers, an 2 free officers but i couldn't work out how to ask them to join me in creating a new force, or is this not possible?
nerazzurri
Tyro

Unread postby Ricky » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 pm

nerazzurri wrote:also, how do you start your own kingdom, i went to a blank town with no castle or officers, an 2 free officers but i couldn't work out how to ask them to join me in creating a new force, or is this not possible?

It is possible to make sure they say yes at least be in friendly terms with them. If you have 100 AP this can be performed while going into the 'Home' -> Form. And there you go. You'll be able to wander as a team and when your time is ready you can start a force in any vacant or battle for other taken land.
First upload.
All hail to the lord!

Huo Hu
Ricky
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Stryke » Mon May 05, 2008 9:05 pm

Being the most recent rotk game you can by in the U.K, this is probaly the game i've spent the most time on, other than 6. I love the game, despite the rpg parts of it, and the infamous infamy system, but there are two main problems I have with this game.
The lack of a leadership stat, and the uselessness of Politic stat, and to a lesser extent, Intelligence/Charsima stat compared to the War stat. I might one of the only ones, but I feel that famous generals (historically correct or not) such as Zhuge Liang or Cao Cao fail on the battlefield, when compared to mediocre generals such as Zhang Fei or Xu Chu. This has its advantages of course, such as in the Hu lao Guan scenario, you can actually pull of a Lu Bu, which is rather cool. Still, it makes certain people nearly useless in battle.
My other dislike is how much War outshines the other stats. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that all the other stats are useless, and don't help at all, but to really acomplish anything with intelligence, you need a load of officers high charisma/politics/intelligence to get anything done. One 80/90 war officer can be incredibly useful on thoguh.

Sorry for the rant, but in all honesty, i'm hoping someone will post something that will change my mind. So, go ahead, shoot :lol:
Stryke
Scholar

Unread postby Huang Bob » Tue May 06, 2008 12:48 am

War stat doesn't matter much in the council. It's all about intelligence there. You can spread rumors about a guy and hire him in the same council, provided your warlord knows what strategies will and won't work on a 95% success rate (having 98-100+ INT rating), and you have enough intelligent officers to spread rumors.

You can make upcoming battles easier by hiring away your enemy's stongest generals.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Stryke » Tue May 06, 2008 11:58 am

Huang Bob wrote:War stat doesn't matter much in the council. It's all about intelligence there. You can spread rumors about a guy and hire him in the same council, provided your warlord knows what strategies will and won't work on a 95% success rate (having 98-100+ INT rating), and you have enough intelligent officers to spread rumors.

You can make upcoming battles easier by hiring away your enemy's stongest generals.

Yeah, that's the thing, to get the loyalty low enough, you'll probaly need to spend a whole council or even two working on it, and for that you need a few great intelligence generals. My point was not that it was useless, but compared to the other stats, 1 high War general > 1 high Politic/Charisma general. Just seems very inbalanced, it's the reason why I still play rotk 6.
Stryke
Scholar

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms