RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Sun Fin wrote:From my experience the best way to stalemate is to take You and the other region next to it (I can't recall the name right now) because no where can be attacked by more than one province on either team but can be defended by 3 area's!

Yes, that's true, the reinforcement system in RTK 8 was fantastic and great fun to utilize! Once, as Huang Zhong, my force squared off against an attack outnumbered almost three to one, but fantastic reinforcements led by Ma Chao and Kongming evened the playing fields and we ended up crushing the offensive.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:57 am

My favorite way to break a stalemate is a balls to the wall attack. If we're just going to sit here and gather troops, we might as well use them. Its especially fun in the Rise of Heroes scenario. By the time its down to two forces and a stalemate, every idiot officer has a M in some tactic.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 pm

Huang Bob wrote:By the time its down to two forces and a stalemate, every idiot officer has a M in some tactic.

Thats very true. The train system in XI isn't efficient, effective, or reliable, but in VIII, though training is great, it goes overboard... Guan Yu is supposed to trump Zhang Liao in every aspect save intelligence, but I've seen Zhang Liao reach M Ambush (by far better than M spearwall because it uses half the TP), V in several other tactics, and IV with Harass, along with 95+2 War as well as 89 Int, decent Pol, and 95 Chr. Couple that with like 10 skills, and Guan Yu, who experienced less growth, could not even match him. But realistically, Zhang Liao is a smarter and a more capable general than Guan Yu. Guan Yu could beat him in a fight, though, and, being an icon, more charismatic.

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:17 pm

Does anybody know what "hidden officer PAL" means?

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tirocupidus » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:56 pm

I've just picked up RTK VIII for PS2, having previously played III, IV, VI, VII, X, and XI. Early on, my ruler gave me a goal to find and hire a person in Jing Nan province. The finding part is proving difficult, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've been visiting other cities and talking to other officers to try to find information about this hidden officer. In RTK XI there's just a "Search" function, but I don't see anything like that in this game. Can someone confirm if I'm going about this the correct way?
Tirocupidus
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:34 pm

Tirocupidus wrote:I've just picked up RTK VIII for PS2, having previously played III, IV, VI, VII, X, and XI. Early on, my ruler gave me a goal to find and hire a person in Jing Nan province. The finding part is proving difficult, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I've been visiting other cities and talking to other officers to try to find information about this hidden officer. In RTK XI there's just a "Search" function, but I don't see anything like that in this game. Can someone confirm if I'm going about this the correct way?

You have to Observe in the various facilities in each city to find officers.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:50 pm

I started replaying this game again and was reminded of why it was the best ROTK. It has a few problems, but the things it does right compared to the other ROTKs far outweigh those issues.

I started a game as Kong Rong, who begins as a terrible force by himself surrounded by the likes of Cao Cao, Liu Bei and Yuan Shao. He literally has no officers. He does, however, start with above average stats and a Book of Confucius.

He also starts with another hidden advantage. The social system in ROTK VIII rather hastily lumps together many characters' potential affiliations based on their force. What this means is that Kong Rong can build great social relations with many officers historically affiliated with Wei and Cao Cao. Before I knew it, I had a great officer corps with characters like Zhang Yi (the Wei one) and Wang Can (who, in light of his literary achievements, seemed to me to be a very fitting vassal of Kong Rong). My participation in an anti Liu Jue coalition also allowed me to capture Jia Xu (sniped him at low troop count). By continuing to focus on recruiting officers from cities historically associated with Cao Cao's rise (i.e. Xu Chang), I was able to eventually "obtain the edge" in the Northeast.

The social system does act somewhat weird in certain cases. For example, Liu Xun of Yuan Shu's force will be kindred spirits with nearly every "Wu" (Sun family clan and corps) officer even though he historically was not aligned with Wu. Nonetheless, once you discover its quirks, you can use it to your advantage. Kong Rong died after he unified half the land (roughly the entire North), but my successor Jia Xu finished the conquest of the entire land. I thus went from being a one officer force to controlling all of China. Cao Cao and Wei still snowball out of control in ROTK VIII, but not as badly as in other ROTK games. I can tell that they made attempts to balance things. For example, Wei often starts without territories they historically controlled. The Southeast and Southwest are both defensive juggernauts that are hard to approach. ROTK VIII did this better than the other ROTK games where Wu and Shu are just patently weaker than Wei in every regard. As a final balancing step, a lot of officers who historically did serve Wei are roaming free officers. None of the other ROTK games as far as I can tell took such great pains to balance the game.

Right now though I do find the early scenarios problematic due to the large number of free cities. These allow their eventual conquerors to gain a ridiculous advantage early on with minimal risk. The South is particularly egregious because in many early scenarios it's left completely vacant for Sun Ce, He Jin, Liu Biao, Liu Yan/Zhang or whoever else is at hand. I plan to research the political structure of South China during the "early" periods of ROTK VIII so that I can add created forces there to help balance the game. I know for instance that I could safely throw in characters like Zu Lang, Zhou Xin, Ou Xing, Zhang Jin, etc. to spice up the South.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:36 pm

Last night, I watched Skyfall. During one scene in a hotel in Macau, I heard a familiar song from ROTK VIII which sparked my interest... does anyone know anything about the ROTK VIII soundtrack?

epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Jordan wrote:The social system does act somewhat weird in certain cases. For example, Liu Xun of Yuan Shu's force will be kindred spirits with nearly every "Wu" (Sun family clan and corps) officer even though he historically was not aligned with Wu.

Quite a lot of Early Wu officers served under Yuan Shu so I guess it shouldn't be too much of a surprise!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Strategist » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:54 am

Assuming you can throw realism out the window(a bit easier since there's no roleplaying required), I've found an interesting challenge scenario to try. Has anybody tried something like this? The parameters:

-Start in the chronologically last scenario, not counting Rise of Heroes (in ones such as Liu Bei enters Cheng Du, this would even harder...)
-Play an Edit Officer, starting with no Force of his own
-You are not allowed to have any officers in your service. Hence, every officer you capture must be either released or executed.

Your goal- to start a force and conquer the world before your officer dies. You also get no 'redos'- if your last city is taken, you can't submit and then rebel again- you've failed the challenge.
Strategist
Assistant

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms