RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: RTK VIII Discussion Thread

Unread postby Korin » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:08 am

epaminondas146871 wrote:Last night, I watched Skyfall. During one scene in a hotel in Macau, I heard a familiar song from ROTK VIII which sparked my interest... does anyone know anything about the ROTK VIII soundtrack?

I can't recall that scene even tho I saw it? was it action packed? talking scene etc? I know the soundtrack to this game, but I need to know what type of Skyfall scene it was.
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby epaminondas146871 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Korin wrote:
epaminondas146871 wrote:Last night, I watched Skyfall. During one scene in a hotel in Macau, I heard a familiar song from ROTK VIII which sparked my interest... does anyone know anything about the ROTK VIII soundtrack?

I can't recall that scene even tho I saw it? was it action packed? talking scene etc? I know the soundtrack to this game, but I need to know what type of Skyfall scene it was.

It was the scene when Bond just got to Macau and was in a hotel.
"Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander

"The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly." - Friedrich Nietzsche
epaminondas146871
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DangerWorldWide » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:23 am

I tend to rumor/defect/employ the prefect of San Jiang whenever someone takes it (usually Liu Yan/Liu Zhang in the scenarios I play) just to get the Armored troops, because they're just great.

Anybody else do that?

I think Armored Troops with good officers are pretty much the best thing to have until you get Arbalests.
DangerWorldWide
Apprentice

Unread postby Chex Warrior » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:11 pm

I prefer ShanQi personally.

Me and my friends were playing game last night and I had finally gained 8th rank and a privilege point which I proceeded to waste on a spy request almost immediately. I think it's hilarious that you can use your point to spy, the only request which is never denied, how many times have guys done this?
Chex Warrior
Tyro

Unread postby Liu Zheng » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:33 pm

I've found this pdf in my computer, I can't remember when I got it and where (the website listed doesn't work anymore) but if someone is interested:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6afG4e ... sp=sharing

edit. I just discovered that I downloaded it from kongming :lol:
Liu Zheng
Apprentice

Unread postby Ravenclaw2099 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Just decided to get back into this classic game, but it's been so very, very long. I honestly don't remember much about certain parts of the game..for instance, how do i get access to the tavern or inn as a created officer again? Do i have to join a faction or is it based on something else?
Ravenclaw2099
Tyro

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 am

This is probably one of my most played games. Recently I dipped back into it.

Because of the hype surrounding Pan Feng, I decided to play a game as him. ROTK VIII does Pan Feng more justice than many games because lesser known officers tend to have low stat bases but high stat caps. Pan Feng starts with a highly respectable 77 War which can be maxed at 100 (the highest possible stat without items). His other stats are terrible, but his charisma can be maxed out at around 55 (average) or so.

Highlights of the game:

-Han Fu ignored all my advice and was easily subdued by Gongsun Zan. I cast my lot in with Zan along with the rest of Han Fu's officer corps.

-I helped conquer the North for Gongsun Zan. When Gongsun Zan died and was succeeded by Gongsun Xu, I almost singlehandedly was responsible for coordinating the defeats of Liu Biao, Tao Qian's successors and some other warlords in the East. I became a viceroy with command of over 7 cities.

-Because the game was getting too easy, I decided to make it harder for myself by launching a coup d'etat in Wu after appointing my oath brother the prefect of Hui Ji. From there, despite having barely any officers and being massively outnumbered by the colossal forces of Gongsun Xu, I ended up with 6 (at one point 8) cities and dozens of captured officers. Unfortunately, Sun Ce allied with Gongsun Xu for some ungodly reason and at that point things looked increasingly hopeless.

-Eventually I gave up the kingdom and became a mercenary force. I worked for Liu Zhang for awhile, but was eventually captured in a very close battle against Gongsun Xu. (Gongsun Xu's forces won only on turn 30! And only because of morale desertions!). Liu Zhang+my forces had 70,000 total troops against an army of upwards of 200,000, yet we almost won.

-Gongsun Xu somehow was willing to forgive the fact that I had rebelled against him and executed dozens of his officers.

-By the time I was back in Gongsun Xu's employ, Pan Feng was very old as well as highly infamous of reputation. He died about half a year later. At that point I chose to quit rather than continuing the game as one of my oath brothers.

-Pan Feng won 5 duels over the course of the game and lost 0. The greatest highlights were defeating Zhou Tai, Xiahou Dun and Hua Xiong (!). By the end of the game I had 108 War (I hijacked Lu Bu's weapon). I mastered Charge, had level V Ambush and Level IV Harass.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:02 pm

That's one of the things I positively love about RTKVIII compared to X, raising stats in X happen at a snail's pace and you're always rushing trying to get something done in that game so if you take a year off to study at a university, you're going to have some major consequences when you come home.

RTKVIII on the other hand had a much more fluid and frankly more accessible manner of increasing stats with the Train command, sworn siblings willing to help you out with some training, skill learning being a matter of RNG, rather than a possibly impossible circumstance to get weak skills like Fault or Recover and as you said I love that the middling officers are not completely ignored and a lot of them have rather high potential.

Playing as a weak officer in RTK X is a bit of a chore, but in VIII there is a lot of reward to be had there in terms of that feeling of accomplishment.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am

I also played as Lu Bu in his flight from the capital scenario. I decided to disregard Xu Chang entirely and instead settle in Guiyang. At first things looked really bad for my force because I just could not get officers, no matter how hard I tried. Eventually, however, I was able to recruit Jiang Qin and Zhou Tai. With those two officers, I just started snowballing out of control. I was able to recruit many other officers as well as defeat Liu Yong/Yao, Yan Baihu and Wang Lang. By absorbing these forces and then using them to defeat Sun Ce in Guan Ling, soon I successfully controlled a kingdom roughly equivalent to Wu. I confiscated the Imperial Seal and other items from Sun Ce then kicked him to the curb. At that point no force was large enough to stop me and I just dominated the rest of the game. Eventually I won. A coalition was attempted against me which met with laughable failure.

Lu Bu's forces are interesting in ROTK VIII because although Lu Bu, Zhang Liao, Gao Shun (and Chen Gong in later scenarios) are godly officers, everything else about Lu Bu's forces tend to suck. Lu Bu has low charisma which can make officer recruitment difficult. He also tends to start with very few troops. In the flight from the capital scenario I only started out with about 4000 troops.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Yuan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:19 am

I had a fun game a while back as a created character named Yuan Ling, a daughter of Yuan Shao, she had terrible abilities in everything, low War, decent Int, low Pol, average Charisma. The scenario was the Coalition against Dong Zhuo scenario, because of who she served she managed to coast by as her family was lead to success after success, with her skills slightly improving with time, though her stats were mostly increased through money, then around 204, after conquering nearly half of the country Yuan Shao died and chose Yuan Shang as heir, as my character was supposed to be fairly capricious she rebelled and was able to seize a province along with her, but this destablization only heartened the enemy (who was Cao Cao, having defeated Ma Teng in a surprising turn earlier and expanding to the West) who managed to reverse a lot of Yuan Shao's holdings and though she was able to rebel, I couldn't get any useful officers to join with her.

So Yuan Shang quickly set about reducing Yuan Ling's lands quickly and within a year managed to conquer her, executing the majority of the rebels, but he invited his sister back into the fold. Left without much choice she rejoined.

At this time Yuan Shang was losing more and more land and was eventually executed by Cao Cao. Yuan Tan became the ruler then, I chose not to rebel this time. Yuan Tan had an impressive start. He executed a fair amount of the Cao Clan (though obviously couldn't get Cao Cao, at least not as I recall, but I do recall him dying earlier than usual.) Though his efforts were soon reversed and what seemed like a sure victory of 2/3 of the land was pushed back to only 1/2 and that is when Yuan Tan died I want to say around 215 or 16, then Yuan Xi became ruler, but he only lasted for a couple of years before he too fell to illness, though I recall the time that he ruled as exceptionally peaceful between the two remaining kingdoms. Then the burden fell to Yuan Ling to become ruler as the last surviving Yuan. Cao Cao had died and because so much of his family had already been killed Xiahou Shang or all people became ruler, with a surprisingly impressive stat build, surely he was doing some training during this prolonged scenario.

So the fight began anew and though it was very slow Yuan Ling pushed forward, executing everyone that wouldn't serve her, along the way she came across Xiahou De who was a surprising thorn in the side for a while because of his immense stat bonuses from the scenario's start. As I recall he had several 90's in his stats! Xiahou De of all people! Eventually though we managed to beat him back, captured him, and executed him. The years were getting on, and Yuan Ling had focused much of her attention on Charisma training while the Empire slowly came under her control. It was around 250 when Xiahou Shang died, leaving Sima Yi, strangely enough, to become the ruler of Wei, now comprising of Wu's territory, but the way the game work with Hui Ji and Wu, oy... no matter how many auto-battles were launched against it, there was no getting through there and I knew time was running out for Yuan Ling. Through an extremely hard fought battle in 254 where Yuan Ling personally took part (she acquired a good amount of bow skills through her life) we finally managed to seize Wu, but a month later Yuan Ling passed away...

I was not going to have that! I was not going to have the game do this to me after I fought with relative tenacity against a ticking time-bomb. So I reloaded and this time attacked Hui Ji immediately and though it took several tries, I finally won with a... I believe she was 16 in 192 so she would have been... 76 at the game's end, and her ending was expectedly bad, having killed everyone that got in her way.

It was a grand game though, a lot of fun to be had.
As you know security
is mortal's greatest enemy.

SimRTK is back up in a testing phase! Go ahead and give it a look over on the Simzhou forum branch.

http://simrtk.net/index.php
Xu Yuan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms