RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX?

Yes!
74%
No.
7%
Unsure...
3%
Never played it.
17%

Total votes : 102

Re: RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Unread postby gregor104 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:03 pm

This is what I have always understood to be how tactics are launched.

Units have TP. The TP of a unit will determine the tactics that the unit will use, as an army marches, for each day that passes, the unit's TP will rise. Once the unit has gained enough TP, it will then execute tactics. The rate of TP gain is based on the morale. The rest is all random
gregor104
Initiate

Unread postby fritz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:50 am

I'm thinking of buying this game again (if I can find it). Is it worthwhile to play after having played X and XI? A quick review by someone would help. I'm probably going to scope the early pages of this thread for info too.
fritz
Academic

Unread postby gregor104 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:09 am

I would definitely get it. I have played this one more than any other ROTK. Some main things to note about it.

*You always will be a ruler
*There are 5 tribes. 4 that are always there and 1 that will only appear after certain conditions are met.
*You don't get direct control of your units in the field. You give them their orders during the strategy phase and then all actions are carried out in the action phase simultaneously with other rulers.
*Domestics are more time consuming than they are in eleven. Building up domestics is more similar to other installments rather than XI building markets, farms, etc.

There is a lot I could mention, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to message me or ask them here. I check this board frequently.
gregor104
Initiate

Unread postby fritz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 am

gregor104 wrote:I would definitely get it. I have played this one more than any other ROTK. Some main things to note about it.

*You always will be a ruler
*There are 5 tribes. 4 that are always there and 1 that will only appear after certain conditions are met.
*You don't get direct control of your units in the field. You give them their orders during the strategy phase and then all actions are carried out in the action phase simultaneously with other rulers.
*Domestics are more time consuming than they are in eleven. Building up domestics is more similar to other installments rather than XI building markets, farms, etc.

There is a lot I could mention, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to message me or ask them here. I check this board frequently.

Unfortunately, those are all features that I consider negatives about the game (though the battle system is kinda interesting). I don't mind playing as only a ruler, but I prefer X and VIII. Sometimes the ruler-based games tend to become generic, arcade-like, and repatitive for me (though maybe XI has clouded by judgement on that subject). I remember the barbarians are pretty tough in IX and I always found that annoying.

It should be cheap if I find it so I will probably buy it anyway, just to have it.
fritz
Academic

Unread postby Beaninfritz » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am

Out of all the RTK's I've played, I'd have to say IX is the hardest out of all of them.

If you like being a ronin, and making a ridiculously powerful character that can handle any situation, and switch to any side whenever you want, then IX is not for you. Basically, if you want to make a character that absolutely OWNS the game, it's not going to happen in IX.

However, I've decided to try being Kong Rong on expert, with no created characters to aid me. It's ridiculously tough (I only have a few generals, and they are all WEAK), but that's what I like. It also puts a bit more emphasis on the whole strategic aspect of warfare. Sometimes having a couple of really smart guys in your city is more useful, than having them in a unit on the battlefield.

Long story short, RTKIX is a tough to master ruler-based game. If you want more of an RPG feel, go with 7, 8, or 10. If you want pure strategy, this is the one to pick up.
Beaninfritz
Tyro

Unread postby chinesecannibal » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:20 am

When I create new officers, I make myself, and many of my friends. This is kinda fun, but the big problem is that I don't know how to give them a "fair" number of Ldr, War, Int, Pol so I always just give 80s to 90s but this isn't satisfying enough. How and who should I compare me and my friends to so that the numbers aren't illegitimate?

I've never had a chance to lead anyone, does that make me a bad leader? Should my leadership be under 50? I practice Tae kwon do and wing chun, but am I able to take down Li Dian, how about HuCheEr? Is my intelligence actually under 60? I'm great at persuading my teachers and friends, at managing money, and even gardening (my favorite thing), but am I able to persuade the president?

I also created an officer called "Illuminati" and gave him 99 lrd, 1 war, 99 int, and 99 pol and let him work for a weak ruler. I'm sure one of them Illuminati members was in China watching the whole thing unfold.
Even made Merlin, Gandalf, and Dumbledore but should I give them 99 Int and 99 pol?
Should I give Sir Lancelot Du Lac AND Anakin Skywalker - wars of 99?

How do YOU judge when creating?
chinesecannibal
Initiate

Unread postby Zhuangzi » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:18 am

I have my sincere doubts that anyone can help me, but does anyone know where I can find the English patch for RTKIX PC version? I've searched far and wide on the net to no avail, so perhaps someone on this forum may be in possession of the patch and may be able to send it to me or upload it somewhere. *Fingers crossed*
Zhuangzi
Tyro

Unread postby Liu Zheng » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:16 pm

I always though that IX was RPGesque... I've just discovered that it's in the same vein of VI! my favorite one.
Liu Zheng
Apprentice

Unread postby Liu Zheng » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Forgot to ask, is this one worth to get it? Or XI is better than this one?
VI is my favorite one.
Liu Zheng
Apprentice

Unread postby Hammerhead3229 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:02 am

I know this game is deader than dead.

But for those who still play it, thought I'd include the FULL secret officer list. There are 33 (4 more than most thought). So if you want to get this game to total completion, here you go!

The one with asterisks ofcourse you just need to type in their name.

01) Bai Qi*
02) Chen Qingzhi*
03) Chengji Sihan*
04) Fan Zeng*
05) Guan Yiwu*
06) Han Xin*
07) Huang Yueying - Complete the tutorial
08) Huo Qubing*
09) Li Ji*
10) Li Si*
11) Lin Xiangru*
12) Liu Bang*
13) Lu Lingqi - Load Dynasty Tactics 2 data
14) Kong Qiu*
15) Ma Yunlu - Complete the tutorial
16) Mistress Zhen - Get the event in the Yuan brothers challenge scenario with Mistress Zhen
17) Qin Liangyu*
18) Sun Bin*
19) Wang Jian*
20) Xiang Ji*
21) Xiao He*
22) Yang Daiyan*
23) Ying Bu*
24) Ying Zheng*
25) Yue Fei*
26) Yue Yi*
27) Zhang Liang*
28) Zhang Yi*
29) Da Qiao - Load DW4 data
30) Xiao Qiao - Load DW4: XL data
31) Mistress Zou - In the Defense of Nanyang scenario, get the event in which Zhang Xiu uses Mistress Zou in a ploy against Cao Cao, then complete the scenario.
32) Mistress Fan - Get the event in the Zhao Yun challenge scenario where Zhou Fan proposes Yun marry Mistress Fan. I selected yes (on accident) but it may also be possible for you to unlock her by selecting no as well, then complete the scenario.
33) Dong Bai (Dong Zhuo's grand daughter) - In the Yuan Shao coalition challenge scenario, take Mei Fort, you will get an event afterwards. Spare her, then complete the scenario.

Mistress Zhen, Mistress Zou, Mistress Fan, and Dong Bai are ones unlocked in the challenge scenarios.

The only challenge scenarios that don't seem to yield new character are Fires of Chibi, Conquering Wu, and Lords of the Central Plains.
Hammerhead3229
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms