RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX?

Yes!
74%
No.
7%
Unsure...
3%
Never played it.
17%

Total votes : 102

Re: RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:17 am

yeah, and I just triggered a perfect example of that. I have a unit of Cao Cao, Xiahou Yuan, Xiahou Dun, Xu Huang, and Zhang He all using Melee. I didn't see who else was in the other unit, but it was Cheng Pu and probably Lu Xun and 40,000 troops versus my 40,000. I was able to disrupt their unit and triggered a 4-man Melee with a critical hit for 25,000 damage.

The Five Tiger Generals seemingly block everything of mine. Huang Zhong covers Bow tactics, Guan Yu bow and foot, Zhang Fei foot, and Ma Chao and Zhao Yun horse and horsebow. I can rarely seem to capture them, either (though that my be the game knowing I'm going to execute Guan Yu, Zhang Fei, and Ma Chao when I do). I'm almost done with Liu Bei and of those 5 officers, I've captured only Zhao Yun twice.

Meanwhile, I'm able to capture both Xiahous many many times.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby gregor104 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:56 am

It seems even with high intelligence warlords are wrong more than they are right. Has anyone looked into the percentage of correct advice compared to intelligence or is it all random?
gregor104
Initiate

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:20 am

gregor104 wrote:It seems even with high intelligence warlords are wrong more than they are right. Has anyone looked into the percentage of correct advice compared to intelligence or is it all random?

I haven't taken a look at any mechanics, but Warlords over 100 INT tend to be spot on. Zhuge Liang is almost always right. Sima Yi, Zhou Yu, Tian Feng, Xun Yu, Pang Tong and officers of that caliber are reliable. You're taking a chance with any warlord under ninety. Around eighty or so, a warlord is more often wrong than right.

My advice to you is to double down on any warlord's advice, and to use your gut. Send three officers to recruit, and if your Warlord's telling you that Zhang Fei will be able to recruit a free officer he's probably wrong. Of course, you'll have to be more careful when it comes to raiding enemy cities or diplomacy-simply put, do not raid or raze with a bad warlord or half of your officer corps will be in the hospital, and in diplomatic missions, send twice the tribute you normally would with the officer your warlord endorses, but only if his POL is around the nineties.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:49 am

From what I've seen, Zhuge Liang is only wrong if the situation changes, like the enemy Rewards someone you're trying to hire.

Other officers can get perfect advice with 110 Int, but only some officers gain this; others still make mistakes at that level (this, atleast, is what I've heard and it matched with my experience). For instance, Tian Feng doesn't seem to become perfect with 110 Int but Guo Jia does.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:36 pm

i declair it impossible to take over any city as zhang lu.

tryed to play as him once. even giving him two officers he had in the novel and three created ones(an family line mine you) even after recuiting several other free officers and pang Rou from ma teng, i still couldn't assult any city.

granted i can defend any attack....
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby gregor104 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:41 am

It is very difficult but possible. Basically it is all about timing, especially with Liu Yan/Zhang. You want to attack when the computer cannot send reinforcements. If Jian Ge or Jiameng get reinforced you are pretty much screwed especially if Yan Yan or Zhang Ren are the commander. Personally I have never bothered with expanding northward as I would rather not deal with the Qiang that early in the game, so I am not much help there. I would imagine that the strategy wouldn't be much different.
gregor104
Initiate

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:38 am

Xu Huang fan wrote:i declair it impossible to take over any city as zhang lu.

tryed to play as him once. even giving him two officers he had in the novel and three created ones(an family line mine you) even after recuiting several other free officers and pang Rou from ma teng, i still couldn't assult any city.

granted i can defend any attack....

Can you give us some specifics? What scenario are you on? Who are you trying to attack, and how are you going about it?

Also, remember to hit enemy cities with tower units, if possible. Don't try to waste time with rams unless there's a s--tload of soldiers garrisoned in a ruined city. If enemy units are wiping you, leave Yan Pu (or someone who's even smarter) behind to mislead and disrupt.

And don't forget to capitalize after successful defenses. Get your morale up and counter-attack ASAP. Unless you have nobody with LEA over 75, you should be able to pull it off.
I don't write fanfic, but if I did it would involve Zhou Yu and Zheng He fighting to win the heart of Lai Choi San. Then I'd make them join forces to fight Ming the Merciless, who secretly works for Master Li. I'd squeeze Lu Bu in there somehow.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xu Huang fan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:55 pm

i posted this in ROT3K9 instead of ROT3K11?

WHOOPS sorry about that guys.
Xu Huang fan
Langzhong

Unread postby gregor104 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:14 am

Does anyone else seem to have tactics fail more when they are criticals or is it just me?
gregor104
Initiate

Unread postby TooMuchBaijiu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Total wild guess here:

Now, I do know that tactics are launched once an unseen charge meter is filled. Also, this charge meter fills up faster with more experience you accrue (For example, if your Bow EXP is at 1000, you will Arrowstorm all day long). Furthermore, you attain more experience when you fight an enemy officer with plenty of experience himself (If Huang Zhong shoots you in the ass seven times in ten days, you will apparently come out of that battle much more prepared to handle his attacks and launch your own.) Finally, once another unseen bar is reached, you launch a critical. But only, I would say, if you've attained enough EXP.

That said, high EXP will not only help you launch tactics, it helps you block others. Get shot enough times, Huang Zhong's arrows will bounce off your army. Of course, this seems to benefit enemies a lot more than it helps you. Can't count quite how many times I'd launch a Guan Yu-Zhang-Fei-Wei-Yan Melee from Hell just to get one big Zero and Cao Ren laughing about how prepared he was.

So what's the key? Bring a knife to the gunfight. Don't fight Ma Chao with horses, or Guan Yu with infantry. And never go ship-to-ship with Wu. Instead, take Ma Chao on foot and use cavalry to run over Guan Yu and Sun Ce. I know for sure they don't block tactics they have no EXP in.
TooMuchBaijiu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms