RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX?

Yes!
74%
No.
7%
Unsure...
3%
Never played it.
16%

Total votes : 100

Re: RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Unread postby bookwormbabe29 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm

Wow, a reply! A most welcome surprise. Considering the number of searches I've already done, I sort of figured they were not going to show up until later. Yet now I know why, and knowing is half the battle, or so I've heard. Hopefully the other half helps me defeat the tribes, as holy **** they are kicking my butt. 150,000 troops with big name generals (Cao Cao, Zhang Liao, etc) and I barely scratched the Wu Wan. And Wo just showed up (I forgot that could happen!) so now I'm scrambling. At this rate I'll take out everyone else before I take out ONE tribe. Oy. I digress. Thank you for the information!
bookwormbabe29
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:08 pm

For the tribes, this is the basic strategy I use.

First, have good relations with them so you can safely build up without them attacking you. Trusted is the only guarantee, friendly makes it unlikely that they will attack you, but still possible.

Once that's done, build forts in areas as close to their cities as you can, as best you can. If your relations are good, they won't attack you to stop you (like how other countries sometimes will when you try to build outposts and the like next to their cities).

Next, station a lot of troops and some good (but they don't have to be top-tier) officers in those forts. I prefer attacking with about 200K troops, but you can do it with less, too. Preferable officers are your top-tier general-ranked guys (for high troop-count units), and lots of INT guys. They don't have to be particularly smart, but your really want some guys with confuse. You'll also need officers who know the "ram" skill. Cao Cao is a great officer for this, as he meets all these requirements (either a liege or top-tier officer in your army, so can command lots of troops; knows "ram" at the start of the game; high INT with the "confuse" skill).

Basically you want 4-5 units that have high troop count (probably 30K plus), led by a single high leadership general, each with a few officers that know "confuse", in a ram formation. Assemble the required troops and officers in your forts that are near the tribe cities. It helps if the commanding officers in these units have the "calm" personality; you want them to ignore the tribe units that will march against you.

Next, you need to drop relations with the tribe so you don't incur a big penalty for attacking them with good relations. Using officers other than the ones you plan to attack with, send the diplomatic command "request" to the tribes, asking to attack something across the map from them. They'll refuse and relations will drop. What you want to do is send about 6 of these requests in the same phase. Each time they refuse, relations will get slightly worse. 4 or 5 is probably enough to drop relations to "neutral" so that you are free to attack, but sending a few more to be safe is not a bad idea.

Once relations are neutral, march your assembled units on the tribe. Send them all at once, all set to ignore enemies while marching. I recommend not having them retreat, but it's not that big a deal. Your units will start taking a lot of damage when they get in range of the city. The troop count is so high, they deal lots of damage each day. That's why you want the confuse, so you can have them deal no damage for several days while you knock down the walls. As a bonus, if the next phase begins while the city is confused, they cannot march any units out, so your rams will be safe from their powerful tactics.

This is the main strategy I use for dealing with tribes.

There is an alternative one you can use as well, though, but it only works well against the Qiang and Shan Yue. Basically it involves building a single fort nearby, and sticking lots and lots of troops in it (maybe about 200K). Assign 5 solid leadership officers to the fort, and let the enemies bang their heads against it over and over again until their troop counts are more reasonable and a conventional fight can be taken. The only thing to worry about is the defense of the fort, as it'll be subjected to several attacks in a row, so try and repair between attacks if you can. If you really get in a pinch, you can send a gift to the tribe to get good relations against and find some time to repair. You'll also take some casualties over time, so keep some troops nearby that you can transport in as well.

This second strategy doesn't work against the Wu Wei since they have horsebow tactics, and will kill your soldiers in the fort too fast. And it doesn't work against Nanman since they have elephants, and will deal both casualties and damage to the fort too fast. For those two tribes, I recommend the first strategy.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:32 am

A while back I made 5 created characters and slapped them in Chai Sang for, I believe, the Little Conqueror scenario. The 5 were prominent Galactic Empire characters from Star Wars...Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and EU fan favorites Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Gilad Pelleaon. I played rather conservative, what with 5 original officers, which ultimately led to Cao Cao taking over all but Chai Sang, Mo Ling, Wu, Hui Ji, and Shan Yue. Kinda turned in to these guys being the rebellion fighting another Empire. I had a good pool of officers. Ended up with a bunch of Wu guys. Enough to expand slightly, but not enough to defend whatever I took over. So I decided, screw it, I'm going to start executing everyone I capture. Fast forward to an Imperial victory, and despite all those executions, I end up with the best possible ending.

I can't count how many times I've tried to get the best ending, and here it happened completely by accident.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Huang Bob wrote:A while back I made 5 created characters and slapped them in Chai Sang for, I believe, the Little Conqueror scenario. The 5 were prominent Galactic Empire characters from Star Wars...Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, Grand Moff Tarkin, and EU fan favorites Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Gilad Pelleaon. I played rather conservative, what with 5 original officers, which ultimately led to Cao Cao taking over all but Chai Sang, Mo Ling, Wu, Hui Ji, and Shan Yue. Kinda turned in to these guys being the rebellion fighting another Empire. I had a good pool of officers. Ended up with a bunch of Wu guys. Enough to expand slightly, but not enough to defend whatever I took over. So I decided, screw it, I'm going to start executing everyone I capture. Fast forward to an Imperial victory, and despite all those executions, I end up with the best possible ending.

I can't count how many times I've tried to get the best ending, and here it happened completely by accident.

My guess? You gave them good naval skills, which is often the tricky part of the best expansionist ending (assuming you chose that one).
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:06 am

ROTK IX is currently on Steam with the PUK in Japanese only. I remember some folks before were attempting to make a translation patch for the game. Wondering if there's anyone undertaking it now that the game is readily available for folks.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms