RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Do you recommend Romance of the Three Kingdoms IX?

Yes!
75%
No.
7%
Unsure...
3%
Never played it.
15%

Total votes : 99

Re: RTK IX: Discussion Thread

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:32 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:However my favorite, (this one might shock you :roll: ) was the one where Liu Bei and Ma Chao join forces and take Liang and Yong proviences with the Emperor during Guan Du. I believe it was called Long Live the Han or something. Want to take a guess which faction I played there :lol:

That's a fun scenario! Stealing Fa Zheng from Liu Zhang at the start fixes your warlord problem, too. I also really like the Cao civil war one, since it's a later scenario with a better balance of power.

Honestly, IX is possibly the one game in the series where I don't have a favorite scenario. It's also one of the few in the series where the late scenarios don't feel bogged down by a lack of officers.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:28 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:While I usually did play in the 190 and 194 as well, I had a soft spot for several of the hypothetical scenarios. I loved playing the 190 where Yuan Shu, Yuan Shao, and Gongsun Zan had half the forces merged with their's. You know the one where Sun Jian and people serve Yuan Shu, Cao Cao and company serves Yuan Shao, and Liu Bei's and Tao Qian's people serve Gongsun Zan. I liked playing as either Yuan Shu or Gongsun Zan during that one.

However my favorite, (this one might shock you :roll: ) was the one where Liu Bei and Ma Chao join forces and take Liang and Yong proviences with the Emperor during Guan Du. I believe it was called Long Live the Han or something. Want to take a guess which faction I played there :lol:

I would occasionally try to play with one of the weaker factions. I got my butt handed to me many a time.

Playing "Long Live the Han" is how I got the "King of Han Zhong" event. If you don't mind controlling two forces, you can get "The Deposed Emperor" event in 194 (or 190) quite easily by controlling two forces and having the one you don't intend to control just take the Han (or control the Emperor force, the "evil" forces, and your force) and have the emperor's force surrender, and then just depose the emperor. "The Deposed Emperor" is probably the hardest one to get. "Liu Bei, King of Han Zhong" isn't particularly easy either. Especially compared to ones like "Sun Shang Xiang" or "Wang Yun's Chain Plot".

The challenge scenarios aren't terrible, but some are rough. Zhao Yun and the other hard one...er...something. I remember Zhao Yun for sure being extra rough. Try beating it after throwing Liu Bei out when he comes to Ru Nan. :lol:

Commander Yuan Shao isn't too bad, or the Conquest of Wu. The Chi Bi scenario I never actually finished - play long enough to get the event, then save and do something else. :lol:

I can't fully remember the rest now. Man, I really want to play this game again now. I might get in an hour or two after work tomorrow. :D
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Huang Bob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 am

I usually try to play something pre-200 where Cao Cao isn't loaded with officers and cities. His ability to load up his front lines with troops thanks to all his extra cities has always been a pretty big turn off for me when it comes to later scenarios. So it's either pre-200 or Rise of Heroes for me.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Started an Expert game as Lu Bu in 194. Here's a little AAR for the first session.
Lu Bu is actually helped a lot by my historical created officers; he gets some more Int and Pol guys and some okay fighters, though he's still an underdog next to Cao Cao. Yuan Shao and Liu Biao also gain a lot from the officers.

June 194, Chen Liu
The mood in Chen Liu was dark. The city's recent occupation was not viewed favorably, as Cao Cao has been thrown out by the rebelious Zhang Miao. Worse, Zhang Miao had called in the infamous Lu Bu to rule the city, former bodyguard of both Ding Yuan and Dong Zhuo, and both dead by his hand.

Few believed the situation would last, as Cao Cao possessed the larger army, the superior officer corp, and the superior governing ability. But a number of Cao Cao's officers had joined the revolt aside from Zhang Miao; Chen Gong, Xu Si, Wang Kai, and Xue Lan had all raised the banner in favor of the new government. The war for Yan province was about to begin.

The first few months proved quiet; both sides raised and trained troops, governed the cities, and waited to see who would act first. Lu Bu's first scoured the nearby areas for men, and found two skilled warriors named Gan Ning and Xu Huang who agreed to join, perhaps wishing to learn under the land's greatest fighter. Lu Bu had also been sending men to search the ruins of Luoyang for treasure, left behind after the burn and sack of the city by Dong Zhuo only a few years ago. One of these treasures--a rare political treatise--used to bribe the powerful Yuan Shu, who accepted the tribute in return for an agreement not to involve himself in Yan.

Finally in September, the first move was made...

September 5th, Chen Liu governor's palace
The wine was flowing freely at the officer's banquet. Gao Shun had (as always) refused any alcohol, but most of the other's were enjoying themselves greatly. It did not last, however. The sound of footsteps were drawing nearer and nearer until some of Lu Bu's scout soldiers entered, gasping for breath and coated in sweat.
"Lord Lu Bu! Cao Cao's army is marching!" one of them said, bowing and laying down the scouting report on the floor. Lu Bu rose, swept up the parchment and read it slowly, scowling.
"You're certain about these numbers?" he growled.
"Yes, my lord! Fifty five thousand in four divisons under Cao Cao, Cao Hong, Cao Ang, and Zhu Ling."
The assembled officers immediately broke into furious debate. They all knew that Chen Liu itself had just over thirty six thousand troops, and there was not enough money in the coffers to raise more than another few hundred, at best. Chen Gong read the report before calling for a pause so he could speak.
"According to this, Cao Cao and Zhu Ling are leading twenty and ten thousand footmen, while Cao Hong and Cao Ang are bringing fifteen and ten thousand engineers with siege towers prepared. Those must be the first target or Chen Liu's walls will never hold. We must sortie in ten days. In the meantime we must train the soldiers, with my lords approval," he added. Xu Si stepped forward, and Lu Bu gestured him to speak.
"Cao Hong is tempermental. I believe I can buy us some more time before his towers arrive, if my lord will permit me to spread certain rumors in Pu Yang."
Lu Bu nodded. "Do it. Zhang Liao, Gao Shun! You two will each lead a division of the sortie!"
"Yes, my lord!"
"I will not fail you, my lord!"

In middle September, Lu Bu, Zhang Liao, and Gao Shun rode out with 8,000 men each to meet Cao Cao's forces in battle. They were outnumbered more than two to one, but Cao Cao's forces were spread out and, most unusually, Cao Hong and Zhu Ling began to withdraw towards Pu Yang as rumors spread that Yuan Shao had broken his treaty with Cao Cao and sent He Mao and Wang Mo to occupy the city. Yet as they drew near the city they saw no sign of battle and realized they had been tricked.
Closer to Chen Liu, Zhang Liao brought his forces to meet Cao Cao--his orders were to delay the arrival of this, the largest force, while the other divisons attacked Cao Ang. This was accomplished speedily, and Cao Ang began a full-scale retreat after a little more than a week of battle. Lu Bu urged his forces on towards Cao Cao, sending Gao Shun back to the city to handle the defense and, if necessary, bring another unit out to battle. Once Lu Bu arrived, Zhang Liao was sent to attack Zhu Ling's unit while the Flying General met the Hero of Chaos in battle. Although outnumbered, Lu Bu's powerful cavalry more than held their own...

Cao Cao's forces were arrayed for battle, though the enemy had not yet appeared. Although he had many more troops the campaign had gone poorly. Zhu Ling and Cao Hong's mistake in believing rumors had resulted in his forces arriving piecemeal. Worse, the siege forces under his son had been utterly broken, and what was left of his troops were limping back to Pu Yang in defeat. He received word that Cao Hong's force was struggling to arrive, and Zhu Ling had sent a hurried message that a cavalry force was overruning his position. Cao Cao realized he had under understimated Lu Bu--either the warrior was smarter than he was believed to be, or he was receiving strategies from someone.
"Enemy sighted, my lord!" shouted Xiahou Yuan. Indeed, Cao Cao could just barely make out the sight of horseman gathering in the distance, Lu Bu's banner raised above them. Cao Cao immediately had his forces wheel to meet them, but the approach was already coming rapidly. Lu Bu himself was clearly present, charging with the front rank of elite soldiers, all elite fighters, many of them having served as far back as the yellow turban rebellion under Ding Yuan's banner. Cao Cao's bowman opened fire and his spearmen braced...but it was no good. The horseman broke into a charge and smashed through the front line of the Yan province soldiers. Cao Cao immediately began to rally his rapidly forces, but to no avail as Lu Bu rode about slaying a man with each lightning-fast swing of his halberd. It seemed nobody could resist him, but Cao Cao was no easy prey; his troops regrouped and form a wall of spears to protect his crossbowmen, compelling Lu Bu's troops to withdraw, though the slaughter had been great.

As Cao Cao and Lu Bu fought outside Chen Liu, Zhu Ling's force was routed by Zhang Liao. Tough nearly half his men were now dead or wounded, Zhang Liao continued the assault and struck at Cao Hong's siege unit. But Cao Hong was a fiercer enemy than he had warranted. In the end, Zhang Liao was forced to withdraw with less than two thousand troops and retreat.

Meanwhile, Gao Shun rode out with another host to attack Cao Cao's unit, which was now caught between two armies and the defenders of Chen Liu. But Cao Hong's force was beginning to arrive, and the battle was in the balance as Cao Cao received continuous reinforcements from Pu Yang. Xiahou Yuan's ferocious mounted cavalry attacks took their toll on Lu Bu's army; during one raid on Gao Shun's force, he personally shot Xu Huang in the side, severely injuring him. But the terrain and the shorter supply line favored Lu Bu, and Cao Cao's force begn to falter. Hoping to shift the tide, Dian Wei of Cao Cao's army challenged Lu Bu to single combat with a shout:
"Lu Bu! I am Dian Wei of Ji Wu, and I say your reputation is false! Face me if you dare!"
Lu Bu feared no man and accepted, unhorsing the giant after several rounds. The desperate maneuver had backfired, and Cao Cao's troops lost all hope. Before 194 ended, his force was wholly routed. Lu Bu's battered troops returned with many wounded and prisoners--both officers and common soldiers--to the cheers of the defending troops. But Cao Cao was not defeated; he still had soldiers enough to make a fight. But Lu Bu now held the advantage in Yan.

While all this happened, Yuan Shu began his invasion of Xu; Liu Bei resisted bitterly but was broken. In the north, Yuan Shao easily swept aside his rival Zhang Yan, and soon invaded Qing. Li Jue did battle with Ma Teng to little success. Sun Ce built a massive army in Lu Jiang, but did not march. Liu Biao began to take control of the rest of Jing province.

Cao Cao regan to desperately ransom his officer corp back from Lu Bu, cutting greatly into his funding. Worse, enemy forces had taken to raiding Donga port, stealing hundreds of gold pieces and forcing Cao Cao to sell large number of supplies just to pay his staff.

Early in 195, he received word of an opportunity. Lu Bu's main force had moved to Hu Lao gate, and had soon after occupied Luo Yang. Spies in Chen Liu reported that he wished to name himself governor of Si Li and reclaim Chang An from Li Jue, and that he believed that Cao Cao would be too afraid to attack him after the previous battle. Eager to deal a powerful blow to his enemy, Cao Cao brought thirty-five thousand troops out to attack.

But it was a trap. Lu Bu has secretly contacted Li Jue, offering him a rare treasure in exchange for a promise not to invade Luoyang for atleast a full season. He had accepted. Cao Cao's forces was thus ambushed by the full weight of Lu Bu's army and cut apart. Although most of his commanders escaped, Cao Cao had lost even more soldiers, and cursed bitterly. The war came to an end soon; Cao Cao marched forward to occupy the abandoned Hu Lao gate, only to encounter Lu Bu's forces en route to Guandu port. A confused skirmish resulted; Lu Bu's forces had not been arrayed for battle and divided. Lu Bu himself took his own division to Hu Lao, while Zhang Liao and Gao Shun avoided Cao Cao's force and reached Guandu mostly unharmed.

Calling for the eight thousand men raised in Luo Yang to reinforce the gate, Lu Bu took fifteen thousand men to meet Cao Cao. The battle turned against him at first, but Xu Huang lent powerful support fire from the gate and Xiahou Dun's defeat in single combat with the monstrously strong Lu Bu weakened his resolve. Worse; at this tim Zhang Liao and Gao Shun lead nearly thirty thousand men against Pu Yang, which has only thirtreen thousand to defend it. The city fell quickly, and Cao Cao's few remaining troops in the field scattered. Cao Cao himself fled to Xu Chang. Yan was now wholly under Lu Bu's control.

Most of Cao Cao's officers surrendered in the coming months. A few sort service with other lords, mostly the two Yuan brothers. Cao Ren had served briefly in Yuan Shao's army, but left to rejoin Lu Bu when he received word that many of his relatives had submitted. Lu Bu soon after signed a treaty with Yuan Shao, offering tribute and promising to speak well of Yuan Shao when he reclaimed the capital. Yuan Shao soon after marched to take Xu from his brother.

His flanks secure, Lu Bu brought his main host to Luo Yang in July of 195. Kong Zhou of Xu Chang had refused to submit to him, famously stating that if Lu Bu wished for a war, he should be prepared to fight it. Lu Bu mused to himself that they would soon see if Kong Zhou himself was prepared for such a fight.

I actually had Cao Cao at 0 gold at one point. It turns out there's a small error if someone with no gold tries to ransom an officer from you; if you highlight the grey-outed gold button, the little text claims that you don't have enough gold, rather than the person you're negotiating with.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:44 am

My current scenario has had 4 different coalitions targeting 4 different rulers, the latest one against me. I love it when there's one against me and I expand my territory, even got one of the forces against me to surrender. Nice try, rubes. What was nice for this one is that Yuan Shao and I were on good terms so he was the only one who didn't join among 7 rulers. Yuan Shao served as a buffer for Xu Chang and Luo Yang, which I left pretty defenseless. He and Cao Cao essentially flipped territory. Yuan Shao holds Chen Liu, Ru Nan, Xiao Pei, Xia Pi, and Shou Chun. Cao Cao holds the provinces of Bing and Ji to go along with the cities of Pu Yang and Ji. Wu Wan King the only tribe left, holding Wu Wan, Bei Ping and Xiang Ping. About 10 years worth of game time has gone by.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:06 pm

This game is great n'all, but I have a problem which i'm hoping so people could help me with because I feel as though i'm just missing something.

It's about the barbarians. Everytime I take over a city close to one of them, they send 50,000+ troops over to my new city which only has around 6,000 in it. Is there any way to take them out with a small number of troops? Also, I try diplomacy with them (even at the start of the game when we're on friendly terms) but they keep denying all of my gifts... and then attack me with 50,000+ men.

I play nearly all of the other RTKs on advanced difficulty except for this one because of the barbarians because they get an additional 200,000 troops at the start on advanced difficulty.

I just don't know how to deal with them.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. :)
LordSimaYi
Student

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:45 am

LordSimaYi wrote:It's about the barbarians. Everytime I take over a city close to one of them, they send 50,000+ troops over to my new city which only has around 6,000 in it. Is there any way to take them out with a small number of troops? Also, I try diplomacy with them (even at the start of the game when we're on friendly terms) but they keep denying all of my gifts... and then attack me with 50,000+ men.

I play nearly all of the other RTKs on advanced difficulty except for this one because of the barbarians because they get an additional 200,000 troops at the start on advanced difficulty.

I just don't know how to deal with them.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated. :)

Building a camp or any structure between them and your city should work in an emergency. They'll attack the outpost and go back home. Having 6k(!?) troops in a bordering city is just asking to be attacked and tributes won't help at that point :(
Having 60,000 or so you can usually fend them off until you build up an invasion force. You'll probably want 120+k at least to start dealing with them.

When it gets down to fighting them, try to use high INT officers with disrupt. Barbarians are strong war but kinda stupid~
Another officer with high war in mallet or wedge formations can crush them while they're confused.

I think a good plan is to try to stay away from cities near the barbarians until you're ready to go after them. They are a serious pain in IX. :evil:
Sakae Wu
Initiate

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:12 am

Sakae Wu has mostly hit it on the head.

I found tributes to be less of an issue than Wu said - I normally park a few 60-80 POL officers in the city and usually one of them will be able to give a tribute of a few thousand gold to keep them off my back, regardless of the garrison size. But I do avoid cities bordering tribes early on for this reason.

Fighting barbarians without a plan for taking their city is a fool's errand, I think. Their formation is the best in the game (notice it's not the disrupted type, just "-------" and it's stats are stupid good), and they trigger tactics very quickly. Even your best officers (who would probably be more useful somewhere else) can have trouble dealing with them without taking big losses.

That said, a structure, like Wu said, is a good idea. A fort with a real sizable force (50K+) in between your cities and them, that they will engage first, can be effective at slowly whittling down their numbers. Have a few mid-range INT guys for disrupt/mislead, and one competent LDR guy, and you should be OK in the long run. Unfortunately, this is no good against the Wu Wan, who will use horsebow tactics mercilessly against you, but against the other 3, it should be effective. Nanman can also field elephants, which can be dangerous though, so be careful. If your INT guys can also be decent in LDR, you can repair faster after each attack.

For the invasion of their cities itself, I typically go for the ram strategy - 5-6 ram units, preferably more, deployed as close as possible thanks to camps, with several confuse officers to try and keep them from marching out of the city - this would undoubtedly be less effective on advanced, where the CPU can respond to your actions in the same phase. Calm/careful officers can use catapults if you like, but they can't trigger confuse at that range, so some units getting to melee range is necessary.

I would always get relations up to trusted before taking a city with barbarians next to it - this way you're safe, at least until next season, when relations might drop. If you don't border them, relations shouldn't be fine until you move into those cities they border.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby bookwormbabe29 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:31 pm

(Dusts off thread)

Hello to.... anyone reading this. I started replaying this the other day. I'm Liu Bei in the Little conquerer scenario. I've cleared most of the middle area already, taking out everyone from Sun Ce to Yuan Shao over to Chang An. I'm still dealing with the tribes and the borders I left alive (Ma Teng, Gongsun Zan, Liu Zhang, etc) to AVOID the tribes. I'm still dealing with Liu Biao (have Xin Ye and Xiang Lang, but he's holed up in Yong An) and struggling to take out the Wu Wan before advancing much farther. Those guys are a lot harder than I remember, and I remember them being hard lol. I found this game to be so much crazier than usual, with Ma Teng setting up a coalition against me, forcing me to fight on seven fronts at once at one point. I blame it on being rusty, but I don't think I've ever had to split myself so thin before.

I only secured the central plains by the comical actions of Lu Bu. Cao cao took him out, and recruited him. And Lu Bu did what he does best: revolt. Cao Cao lost a third of his troops, and Lu Bu had his base of power with only himself there. It changed the board, and allowed me to finish them both off. Cao Cao I recruited, and Lu bu was executed for good measure.

Anywho, I need to go back to figuring out how to kill these tribes. Before I do, if anyone happens to read this, any ideas of when officers become active? I'm in year 197, and can't find Pang Tong, Zhuge Liang, or Xu Shu. They should be at least 15 by now, which is when the game SAYS they become active, yet I can't find them. It's rather annoying. I have Guo Jia for a nice strategist, but as a Shu fan girl, I would like the aforementioned three.

Anywho, thanks for reading!
bookwormbabe29
Tyro

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:17 pm

So, 15 is when created officers appear; historical ones have varying dates. I believe Zhuge Liang appears in 207/208 and the others around that time as well.

Zhuge Liang might be tricky because he moves--officers in ROTK IX don't have a set area but can follow family, so when Zhuge Liang comes of age he'll actually be a hidden officer in whatever city Zhuge Jin is in.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms