Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Strategies and Secrets

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Strategies and Secrets

Unread postby cryptguardian » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Which difficulty did you do this dueling plan on, out of curiosity? I find duels way too swingy to rely on if I'm playing on Advanced or higher but there might be dueling tricks I don't know.

I don't play on advanced- so don't really know how the difficulty settings influences duels.
But here's what I do when dueling:

I usually start on defense stance (as opponents usually have higher WAR stat), then build up to Iron Defense ASAP, then stay on defensive stance until build up to Mousu (or that other special attack which you can use x3 in row by consequently clicking on it- sorry the name escapes me as haven't played in a while).
Iron defense in defense stance should keep you alive to build up your special attacks which deal nice damage and kill off opponents (I can easily beat a difference of 10-15 swing in WAR stat in AI's favour). Albeit, you're still prone to the dreaded one hit KO; in these circumstances I just reload.

I also use my created character to duel and hex Green Dragon; but you could also do the other special weapons, these weapons look way cooler than regular spear and also seem to give dueling bonuses despite not actually being items when you hex them in using a hex program.

Zy wrote:That's so mean, putting Lu Bu and Cao Cao on life support like that. :lol:

My main concern would be that Yuan Shao would eventually come knocking on Lu Bu's door.

I play your X series and your frets actually come true, Yuan Shao does eventually come knocking- first on Lu Bu's door and (after you help Lu Bu repel YS), he comes knocking on Cao Cao's door. Albeit Yuan Shao always seems to attack the middle too early so after he burns through his troops, Gongsun Zan is able to survive and the North part of the map turn out a stalemate between the two.
Meanwhile, Yuan Shu takes the free cities in the middle (normally taken by Cao Cao), and declares himself Emperor and is quite able to hold his own against Sun Ce.
Liu Bao just turtles (as usual)...(\__/)
___________________________(='.'=)
The Ma's eventually defeat Li Jue, but then instead of being crushed by Cao (as per the usual status quo), they actually manage to hold on to their territories.
The game actually ends up with much more of the weaker rulers surviving for longer (which is what I actually prefer).
As Liu Bei you can also quite easily assist Kong Rong once Yuan Shao comes knocking on his door.
FUN game trying to save the weaker rulers :mrgreen: .
cryptguardian
Student

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:07 pm

cryptguardian wrote:I don't play on advanced- so don't really know how the difficulty settings influences duels.

Difficulty affects duels pretty significantly. The game warns you somewhere that the AI gets a boost there, and it shows. On beginner I use basically the strategy as you and it's pretty much 100% chance of success if you're not instantly killed or seriously outmatched.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 am

Hmm Lu Bu can ally with Yuan Shao pretty easily in X Series, in fact even the AI usually does. I wonder why he doesn't for you. Then again, I am guessing you enjoy Yuan Shao's meddling so you can swipe officers haha.

I haven't tried them out extensively, but I do not recall duels being all that different on vanilla PC advanced? Maybe because it's the vanilla PC game?
Gamefaqs: KongZhou
Steam: heinous_won
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:26 pm

They're much harder on advanced. On beginner, you can just defend until you have 3 spirit bars and then take the enemy officer down with special attacks, that's not possible in advanced most of the time.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:46 pm

Like I said, in my admittedly limited experience, I did not notice a substantial difference. I am a little curious now, maybe it's time to give Advanced a solid crack.

What makes duels more difficult? Does the AI get boosted damage? More attacks?
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:18 am

Zyzyfer wrote:Like I said, in my admittedly limited experience, I did not notice a substantial difference. I am a little curious now, maybe it's time to give Advanced a solid crack.

What makes duels more difficult? Does the AI get boosted damage? More attacks?

It's hard to say exactly what's different; I think they might just be a little better in every way than your officer would be.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:02 am

Yep, kinda. To me it seemed that for example when you just used the Defend stance and the enemy had the proper stance to "counter", your officer wouldn't block hits much at all and thus lose much health until you tried something different. Duels on Beginner seem much more predictable that way.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zyzyfer » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:04 am

I guess I will just have to give Advanced a crack on my next game and go crazy with the duels!
Zyzyfer
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re:

Unread postby Randell92 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Roy wrote:I'm am constantly running low on food and I build farms and link them all around a granary, but I still just don't have enough food to launch massive campaigns. Any suggestions would be nice.

Do you constantly have an army outside of the main city using food? Perhaps if you sacrifice a farm for a market and use the Merchant in the city menu to buy food? Not the best option. I always use a minimum of 3 farms + 1 granary & 3 markets & 1 mint
Randell92
Tyro

Previous

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms