Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Strategies and Secrets

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Strategies and Secrets

Unread postby James » Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:50 am

What strategies or tricks have you come up with while playing Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI? I’ve come up with a few and while I doubt they are original—they didn’t take much experimentation and gameplay to figure out—they may be interesting to those who are reading.

TP Accumulation: The Easy Way
You get a TP bonus for successfully executing a Tactic, even if used on buildings. This might, at first glance, leave no room for real exploitation, but there is a way. Build a honeycomb formation of walls (Barricade, Stone Wall; two on top, three in center, two on bottom) and place some buildings to boost will in the area. Deploy whatever officers you have handy with an S-Rank in archery (odds are not many as most of them would be serving on the battlefront) with a single soldier, a handful of rice, and a trusty bow. Have them use the S-Rank tactic Shower on the honeycomb formation wall. If done successfully (it usually will be) you will get something like 60 TP. Repeat each month, return to city when you run out of Will. With several officers doing this you can easily gather 300+ TP a turn!

(I’m near the end of my game and I wanted to unlock every upgrade to see if any game features were unlocked. This sure beats waiting scowling at my enemy’s last city while it is done through my cities. Word of caution, though: if you want a challenge avoid this.)

End-of-Game City Blitz
Late in your game it is possible your enemies may have 100,000 troop cities (or power fairly close to this level). Even though you’re probably not going to lose on the battlefield due to the quality of your officers, it can take quite a bit of time to conquer cities at this point. If you’ve researched advancements in siege weaponry or the Yunnan Ladder, though, you’ve got another option available. Deploy your armies with several large cavalry units at the head, some intelligent (or well-skilled) units for Perturb, and some Catapults or Juggernauts. When they field an army against you charge them aside and Perturb them while aiming for captures should you choose to defeat them. The idea is to get to the home city, likely still filled with troops, with their army on the field. Ignore their army and attack the city with everything you can manage and you’re likely to take out sixty to eighty thousand troops before they can even enter the field. Remaining officers on the field will not behave as intelligently with no central point of defense (and may even try to flee) and should be easy to clean up.

(I took Zitong with 65,000 stationed troops. Chengdu with 98,000! Deploying my units with three-hundred days worth of food it has been easy to take two well-defended cities at a time without stopping, even in Yizhou. If you added a supply unit and were less picky about developing cities along the way, you could easily perform three or four-city sweeps.)

Delegating Loyalty
Rewarding officers is no big trouble and the cost is reasonable. Loyalty goes up quickly enough but many officers are willing to jump ship if you allow it to slide below 95. Still, you may be faced with one of three separate problems: 1) You lack the necessary gold; 2) You need someone’s loyalty up quite a bit, and <i>now</i>; 3) You lack the AP necessary to reward the greedy bums (5 AP per officer adds up with rewarding 20 grumpy old men late in the game). Fear not, you rule an empire—delegate such concerns as honor and loyalty to your subordinates! If you issue rewards through a viceroy city you use their gold <i>and their AP</i>. That’s right, it doesn’t affect your turn one bit. Even more interesting is the fact the game allows you to issue rewards multiple times through multiple viceroy territories! Lü Bu sitting uncomfortable at 70? A few envelopes from your viceroys—but certainly not you—and he’ll be as happy as ever!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Cao Ah Man » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:03 pm

Hmmm....Those ideas are really good, I noticed the Viceroy one but not the Blitz tactic. I need to try those out. Do you have any tips or advice on gold accumulation? Particularly at the begininning of the game, I can never seem to get enough gold....even if I build as many markets and link them all around a mint...argh...and even have 100 order...O_O...Ah well.
Cao Ah Man
Scholar

Unread postby Long » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:29 pm

A good way to acrue gold is to take all nearby harbors and/or gates, as each tax period they too acrue gold, and food. Then simply have an officer transfer it back to your city.

Add this with officers who have the taxation and colonization ability, and you now have a a fort which generates gold every turn and which consumes no food at all! Use transport every month for an extra 1k gold and on average 2 to 3 k food.

Rinse, lather, repeat.
"Never argue with an idiot. They'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
"Censorship is a tool for the closed-minded and insecure."
Long
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:16 pm

That delegating loyalty trick is pretty cute. I've never really had to use it though, because I generally have one city in my main District that's not up to much, sitting on a lot of gold, so I just use that one to reward whenever it's necessary. Still, for the ultra-efficient player, your method is great.

I didn't notice whether it took 5 AP per officer. I just thought it took 5 AP per reward (i.e. you can reward 1 or 8 officers for 5 AP). Unless you're using the reward action multiple times or something.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Roy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:33 pm

I'm am constantly running low on food and I build farms and link them all around a granary, but I still just don't have enough food to launch massive campaigns. Any suggestions would be nice.
For those of you who play or have played nation states, I am the Infamous Lord Watkins.

Ha Ha Ha Ha,
Roy
Changshi

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:37 pm

Do you have too many soldiers?

If you have a surplus of gold, you can buy some supplies to give yourself a head start.

Also, you need to make sure your safety is high.
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby Tanjian » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Just following up on the last posting.

Look for 1 of your cities that has a high ratio for the market. I have had it 1:10 at times, and then get an officer with high intelegence, he/she will increase that ratio by a certain percentage.

I had Zhuge liange do it a few times and get a 15% increase on top. Just spend like 20-30,000 gold and you will get a few hundred thousand food, and not have to worry about the time it takes to wait for season changes.
Tanjian
Tyro

Unread postby James » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Kong Wen wrote:I didn't notice whether it took 5 AP per officer. I just thought it took 5 AP per reward (i.e. you can reward 1 or 8 officers for 5 AP). Unless you're using the reward action multiple times or something.

I was under the impression it was 5 AP per officer—was even quite sure of it—but I could be wrong. I beat my game last night so I’ll have to check again when I start a new one soon. I used it quite a few times when I remembered after-the-fact or when I didn’t have enough AP (or when I didn’t want to spend 2,000 war-front gold). I would use it much less, though, if it was always only 5 AP.
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Reward = 5 AP per officer

Unread postby Xian Xu » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:35 pm

James wrote:
Kong Wen wrote:I didn't notice whether it took 5 AP per officer. I just thought it took 5 AP per reward (i.e. you can reward 1 or 8 officers for 5 AP). Unless you're using the reward action multiple times or something.

I was under the impression it was 5 AP per officer—was even quite sure of it—but I could be wrong. I beat my game last night so I’ll have to check again when I start a new one soon. I used it quite a few times when I remembered after-the-fact or when I didn’t have enough AP (or when I didn’t want to spend 2,000 war-front gold). I would use it much less, though, if it was always only 5 AP.

James is correct. It is 5 AP per officer.
Xiǎn Xù (冼旭)
Xian Xu
Scholar

Re: Reward = 5 AP per officer

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:11 pm

Xian Xu wrote:James is correct. It is 5 AP per officer.

Wow, I guess I never have very many officers to reward, or else I would have noticed that much of an AP drain.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Next

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms