Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Biography Project

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Unread postby James » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:49 am

jebusrocks wrote:yes, i will only be allowed to work on these on the weekends since i'm grounded, Ill try

I suppose this is a productive use of a grounding. :lol:
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:12 am

btw, my spellings may not be accurate since i have the Korean version, and i am not sure of the exact translations, sry. Just started
Officers I have finished:
Sun Quan
Sun Jian
Sun Ce
Guan Hai
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby James » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:33 am

You’re translating those from the Korean version? Not bad. :)
We’ll have to see how they compare to the English text.
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby JamesD » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:03 pm

Can I have the link to the bios?
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:05 pm

JamesD wrote:Can I have the link to the bios?

Hmm? See your edited first post in this thread. :)
http://kongming.net/11/biographies/
http://kongming.net/11/biographies/?kingdom=All
http://kongming.net/development/games/r ... aphies.php
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Banishing Blade » Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:17 pm

I added a few biographies, but was wondering: should I fix minor typoes? Or names? For example, if they write Liu Zong, should I write Liu Cong?

Edit: It seems my biographies conflict with those of jebusrocks'. I'm using an English copy of ROTKXI, and yet my Sun Ce, Sun Quan, and Sun Jian biographies are much shorter than the ones Kong Wen has presented. Is this good or bad?
Banishing Blade
Student

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:16 am

Banishing Blade wrote:Edit: It seems my biographies conflict with those of jebusrocks'. I'm using an English copy of ROTKXI, and yet my Sun Ce, Sun Quan, and Sun Jian biographies are much shorter than the ones Kong Wen has presented. Is this good or bad?

If you’re replacing one of the translated biographies you might put the English biography at the top and, below in a new paragraph, 'Translation: ' on the bottom. We’ll sort out something to do with them later. As for typos just place the correct information in brackets (e.g. ‘Zhang Yue [He] was killed…’). Liu Cong/Zong may not be worth mentioning because it is a standard alternate rendering, but if you’re in any doubt free to add the correct entry in brackets. It won’t hurt anybody.

If your biography varies from Kong Wen’s, though, that would be surprising.
I thought you were both using English translations of the game?
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Banishing Blade » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:40 am

I'll have to fix a few biographies, then. I'll scan everything I entered over. I manually fixed errors like Han Zuan [Xuan] and Fao [Gao] Ding, so I'll look them over.

James wrote:
Banishing Blade wrote:If your biography varies from Kong Wen’s, though, that would be surprising.
I thought you were both using English translations of the game?

To be honest, I'm not quite sure why they're different. Here, for Sun Ce:

Oldest son of Sun Jian. Raised an army by borrowing 3,000 men from Yuan Shu. Quickly subdued China's eastern region, earning him the name 'Little Dictator." Died young of a wound he received while hunting when he was ambushed by an enemy.

This is in comparison to:

Sun Jian’s first son, Sun Quan’s brother, husband of Da Qiao, King of Chang Sa. Fought Liu Biao with his father, but lost and joined Yuan Shu. He gives the Imperial Seal to Yuan Shu in exchange for an army. Attacks Jiang Dong, and defeats, Yan Baihu, Wang Lang, and Liu Yao, and is nicknamed the “Little Conqueror” meaning the “General who Glorifies the Han”. Breaks away from Yuan Shu and creates a new nation. But, when a rebellion by Xu Gong was put down, Xu Gong’s followers ambushed and Sun Ce is wounded. Leaves the Kingdom to his brother Sun Quan and his sworn brother Zhou Yu.

Not sure what happened there... Anyway, I'm off to re-enter some bios.
Banishing Blade
Student

Unread postby James » Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:44 am

Banishing Blade wrote:I'll have to fix a few biographies, then. I'll scan everything I entered over. I manually fixed errors like Han Zuan [Xuan] and Fao [Gao] Ding, so I'll look them over.

Correcting errors like this is a good thing. :)
But don’t feel you need to worry about this too much.

And wow Sun Ce’s biography has changed significantly! <b>jebusrocks</b>’ addition was a translation from, I believe, the Korean version. Normally we would stick only to the English versions of all biographies, but in cases such as this, when you are dealing with a different biography, you could simply label the other biography [translation], place it in the next paragraph, and enter the official translation above.

Great job so far!
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Banishing Blade » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:16 am

Well, I enjoy doing it, so more than one person benefits :D

Would you happen to know all the secret characters? It'd make it much easier for me to sift through the officer list in the CC menu to find who is and isn't in the game. Of course, with errors like 'Mulu Duosi' and 'Zhang Yue,' I'd have to be careful, but I want to make sure I don't say someone like Guan Ning isn't in the game, when he, in fact, is.

The only one's I know are:

Cui Zhouping
Guan Ning
Lu Baishe
Meng Jian
Shi Tao
Wang Tao
Wang Yue
Zhang Shiping

I'm pretty sure there are several female officers in the game, such as Zhang Xingcai (apparently referred to as Zhang Shi).
Banishing Blade
Student

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms