Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI Biography Project

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:55 pm

There we go. It’s official.

Check the first post of this page for instructions on contributing to the new Three Kingdoms XI biography database and for associated links. I tossed in a few to test it out and I’ll probably add in more in the future. I had to add a few new officers, too, as Koei caught us by surprise with all these new female officers!
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:01 pm

I just added Cui Zhouping, Shi Tao, Meng Gongwei, and Guan Ning, since I had already typed up their bios for the Challenge Scenario thread.

For the record, Meng Gongwei is called Meng Jian in the game, but he's only listed as Meng Gongwei in the database.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sun Gongli » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:03 pm

I went through and sorted the in-game Suns from the not-in-game Suns. My small contribution, since I don't have the PS2 version and can't give the English biographies. :P
"There are those who try to shape the world to their own whim,
and then there are those who allow the world to shape them.
It is in the balance that greatness is achieved."
Sun Gongli
Poo Poo Pants

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:08 pm

I wonder if all of Zhuge Liang’s buddies are routinely called by their style names—if Meng Jian is his actual name, with the style Gongwei. Will need to dig through some books to have any shot of figuring that one out. Regardless, I’ve added Meng Jian as a valid name for him, so at least he’ll turn up in like-named searches.

Might need to come up with some ability to list alternative names.

Sun Gongli wrote:I went through and sorted the in-game Suns from the not-in-game Suns. My small contribution, since I don't have the PS2 version and can't give the English biographies. :P

Thanks for that, by the way! I’m sure it will make it easier to tell them apart from one another. I’ve tossed around ideas for the other versions of the game—information that could be useful to add—but I haven’t come up with anything terribly interesting just yet.

Maybe when you see some more biographies you can tell us how much they differ from the Chinese version? Niahak translated a few lady biographies for us earlier and now that I’ve seen the English version they pretty much seem like direct translations (without the historic or novel-based notes at the bottom).
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby Kong Wen » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:23 pm

James wrote:I wonder if all of Zhuge Liang’s buddies are routinely called by their style names—if Meng Jian is his actual name, with the style Gongwei. Will need to dig through some books to have any shot of figuring that one out. Regardless, I’ve added Meng Jian as a valid name for him, so at least he’ll turn up in like-named searches.

Yeah. Gongwei is certainly a style name. But even if the name Meng Jian doesn't appear in any record, it's worth having there because it's his name in one of the games.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby James » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Kong Wen wrote:Yeah. Gongwei is certainly a style name. But even if the name Meng Jian doesn't appear in any record, it's worth having there because it's his name in one of the games.

Ah, excellent. Gongwei is, as you said, his style. Jian is his given name.
<i>Sanguozhi</i> Wei 15, biography of Wen Hui.
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby JamesD » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Since the English PS2 version doesn't tell whether or not someones fictional, I will need help with that part.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby James » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:13 am

JamesD wrote:Since the English PS2 version doesn't tell whether or not someones fictional, I will need help with that part.

What for? For <i>this</i> project all we would do is enter biographies as they appear in the game. The Development Project itself [well, the Advanced Officer Editor] has an entry for whether an officer is fictional or not, and it is always pretty decently populated. :)
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Unread postby JamesD » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:39 am

James wrote:
JamesD wrote:Since the English PS2 version doesn't tell whether or not someones fictional, I will need help with that part.

What for? For <i>this</i> project all we would do is enter biographies as they appear in the game. The Development Project itself [well, the Advanced Officer Editor] has an entry for whether an officer is fictional or not, and it is always pretty decently populated. :)

The bios say it in them, just mentioning it.
JamesD
Langzhong

Unread postby Jebusrocks » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:57 am

yes, i will only be allowed to work on these on the weekends since i'm grounded, Ill try
Jebusrocks
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms