Romance of the Three Kingdoms Patch Discussion

Koei’s Romance of the Three Kingdoms game series—discuss it here.

Was it as good for you as it was for me?

Yes!
44%
No…
31%
Kittens!
25%

Total votes : 59

Re: Romance of the Three Kingdoms Patch Discussion

Unread postby Lezard » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Firstly, I appreciate the search you did and the cooperative idea you've raised.

About the compilation:
- I'd like to add for those reading that things are not as simply as patching in a certain order. For example, if you use my files you'll lose Nikhil's work (which I had never seem until now - thanks!!!). The so said patches don't edit the files, they replace them.
- Cao Shang v1.5 (or v1.7 if it exists) is nowhere to be downloaded (links are all dead). If you manage to find it, a good idea would be puting everything (all patches) in one pack, so the link survives longer, and share. I have an old version it seems, hard to tell. I wish I knew exactly what he did (can't even extract the patcher — I ask myself if I'm using anything besides his msgs).
- Translations at kongming.net are for the exe only (the rest of the files are worthless). You've posted in a dead topic asking for ezystyles v1.6 (kongming.net holds the 1.5 if I'm right), I don't have it, but I have upgraded the 1.5 by "merging" content from tbex, if you wish I can send it to you (japanese puk version).

About cooperation:
I believe nobody, but us, is interested in working on better translations (we're late you see). If that holds true, then there's no need for a project page (at first I thought you should be a ENTJ or something — I'm an INTP too).
It seems to me that you're not aware of what actually is been patched (though you may know how). Files to be changed/merged include:
- San11PK.exe - the game itself, many things
ezystyles is the best translation — I haven't seem the 1.6, but my upgraded version is pretty comprehensive and I don't see the need of further improvement.
---
- Messages (S11MSG00.s11 to S11MSG03.s11) - text of events/talks
I'm not working on these, I don't know which are better — Inquisiteurs over CaoShang maybe? This is the "Achilles Hill" of the PUK, though messages are lame even on the english version, many people don't like CaoShang's translation. I'm new to the Inquisiteurs work.
---
- Scenario.s11 - skills and many other things
I've compiled some files and further changed the skill names, have yet to see if Nikhil's add something. Little to do here.
---
- Scenarios (SCEN000.S11 to Scen014.s11) - officer names, items and few other things
I'm working on a 100% translation, now with Nikhil's work at hand things might go faster. I was doing a lot of rework as I didn't have access to Nikhil's work. I think it's important to translate these first as people like to edit officers, items, etc, so there will be a solid translated base for people to work on their projects. Help would be appreciated.
---
Note that puk translations will never match the english version as we don't have enough space to write full names, descriptions and so on. Skills for example: you have only 4 bytes to use in puk (2 chinese symbols), so it's impossible to give a name to every skill, my choice was to give a 4 letters mnemonic of the english version names and put an almost complete name on the kana box (good solution for me, who've played the english version, others may not like it).
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Hammer » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:14 pm

I am really glad to see somone attempting again to translate the PUK. Took me a few dozen hours to translate about 65% of the strings. I believe my translation is more complete/clean that Cao Shengs one, but in the process I have messed up a few strings that dont appear anymore ingame.

Dont have the courage to help anymore, but will gladly play the game again with your patch if you do one.
Hammer
Tyro

Unread postby Lezard » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:51 pm

As I'm taking way too long to finish my tweaks (specially on scenarios). Here is the link for current exe and scenario files:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/jghivr

These 2 files are like tooth-and-nail, do not separate them :!:
And backup your stuff, so you can rollback.

I'd say they're a good choice for new and english version players migrating to PC PUK (jap) version. Those used to other PUK translations may find them of little use.

Among the many changes, the most prominent is the skill naming approach. Well, download and see for your self :wink:
If you don't like it don't use it. You can take it as a base to edit stuff yourself too.

Well, that's it. Comments are welcome.

EDIT: everything below this point
Known Issues (were already there when I started playing around):
- "R&D" not showing in the box in your Force menu
- March (deploy) menu button "Engineers" generates a Cavalry unit instead of a Siege unit.
"They envied the power that I wield, and that envy led them to an early end". —Lezard Valeth
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Hammer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:48 pm

Ok downloading it. Will let you know if I get a better sense that for what I already have.

Thx for your efforts.
Hammer
Tyro

Unread postby Lezard » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:17 am

Ok, let me know your impression/suggestions on it (though I think you won't feel much of an impact).

Anyway, there is something you can opine before it gets changed: officers naming.
I've listed all troublesome officers (full name bigger than 8 chars) and defined changes that would fit all of them into 8 chars. But that's not pretty (will never be), still I'm all ears for better solutions.

Basically some surnames and names will be abbreviated (and end with a dot), appearing on it's entirety on the kana box for consult (or near it's entirety I haven't checked). I took in consideration surname/name size and amount of people with the surname (I'm proposing less than 30 surname changes and about 40 specific changes). The biggest issue troubling me is whether surname changes should be applied to everyone (eg. Zhang Fei fits in 8 chars, but I could change it to Zg. Fei so he is compliant with a "surname abbreviation standard").

Officers list in order of appearance
Yuan Shang
Wang Kuang
Wang Xiang
Wang Shuang
Wang Zhong
Wang Chang
Kuai Liang
Guo Youzhi
Xiahou Wei
Xiahou Yuan
Xiahou Hui
Xiahou Xuan
Xiahou Shang
Xiahou Dun
Xiahou Mao
Xiahou Lingnu
Guanqiu Jian
Guanqiu Xiu
Guanqiu Dian
Jinhuan Sanjie
Xing Daorong
Huang Ying
Huang Quan
Huang Chong
Gongsun Yue
Gongsun Yuan
Gongsun Gong
Gongsun Kang
Gongsun Zan
Gongsun Xu
Gongsun Du
Gongsun Fan
Huang Zhong
Gaotang Long
Huangfu Song
Chunyu Qiong
Jiang Yiqu
Xiang Chong
Zhongli Mu
Xiang Lang
Zhuge Qiao
Zhuge Shang
Zhuge Jing
Zhuge Zhan
Zhuge Liang
Xin Xianying
Sui Yuanjin
Cheng Gongying
Quan Shang
Cao Shuang
Sun Shang Xiang
Taishi Xiang
Dailai Dongzhu
King Duosi
Zhang Ying
Zhang Heng
Zhang Jiao
Zhang Hong
Zhao Guang
Zhang Chunhua
Zhang Zhao
Zhang Song
Zhang Shao
Zhang Cheng
Zhang Miao
Zhang Mancheng
Zhang Yang
Zhang Liao
Zhang Liang
Cheng Yuanzhi
Cheng Bing
Dong Cheng
Deng Zhong
Dong Tu Na
Pei Yuanshao
Mang Yachang
Bao Sanniang
Puyang Xing
Mulu Duosi
Lu Weihuang
Liang Xing
Liang Gang
Historical 01 ~ Historical 30
Emperor Ling
Emperor Shao
Emperor Xian
Huang Chengyan
North Star
South Star
Civil Official
Wuwan Chief
Wuwan Officer
Qiang Chief
Qiang Officer
Shanyue Chief
Shanyue Officer
Nanman Chief
Nanman Officer
Zhang Rang
Messenger
Aeromancer
Miscreant
Y. Turban Rebel
Young Woman
Craftsman
Fisherman
Lin Xiangru
Ying Zheng
Zhang Liang
Huo Qubing
Yang Dayang
Gao Changgong
Weichi Gong
Qin Liangyu
Zheng Chenggong
Cui Zhouping
Zhang Shiping
Guan Yinping
Xiahou Shi
Lu Yusheng

Changes Proposed
// Surname Rules (Apply to ALL officers):
----------------------------------------------
Wang = W.
Xiahou = X.
Guanqiu = Gnq.
Jinhuan = J.
Huang = Hg.
Gongsun = Gsn.
Gaotang = Gtg.
Huangfu = Hfu.
Chunyu = Cu.
Jiang = Jng.
Xiang = Xg.
Zhongli = Zgli.
Zhuge = Ze.
King = Kg.
Zhang = Zg. (the only with surname and name abreviated)
Puyang = Pyg.
Mulu = Mlu.
Liang = Lng.
Historical = Hist.0
Emperor = Emp.
North = Nth. *
South = Sth. *
Messenger || Messeng. *
Aeromancer || Aeroman. *
Miscreant || Miscrnt. *
Y. Turban Rebel || Y.Turban * (no Kana)
Young Woman || Young = Yg.
Craftsman || Craftsm. *
Fisherman || Fisherm. *
Weichi = Wch.

// Name Rules (Apply to officer in question):
----------------------------------------------
Yuan Shang || Shang = Shg. *
Kuai Liang || Liang = Lng. *
Guo Youzhi || Youzhi = Youz. *
Xing Daorong || Daorong = Drg. *
Huang Chengyan || Chengyan = Cgyn. *
Xin Xianying || Xianying = Xnyg. *
Sui Yuanjin || Yuanjin = Ynjn. *
Cheng Bing || Bing = Bg. *
Cheng Gongying || Gongying = Gyg. *
Cheng Yuanzhi || Yuanzhi = Yzh. *
Quan Shang || Shang = Shg. *
Cao Shuang || Shuang = Shng. *
Sun Shang Xiang || Sun Shang = SS. *
Taishi Xiang || Xiang = X. *
Dailai Dongzhu || Dongzhu = D. *
Zhang Chunhua || Chunhua = Chua. *
Zhang Mancheng || Mancheng = Mchg. *
Zhang Shiping || Shiping = Shpg. *
Zhao Guang || Guang = Gng. *
Dong Cheng || Cheng = Chg. *
Dong Tu Na || Tu Na = TuNa * (no Kana)
Deng Zhong || Zhong = Zhg. *
Pei Yuanshao || Yuanshao = Ynsh. *
Mang Yachang || Yachang = Ycg. *
Bao Sanniang || Sanniang = Snng. *
Lu Weihuang || Weihuang = Whg. *
Lu Yusheng || Yusheng = Yshg. *
Official/Officer = O * (Chief & Official/Officer are the only without ".")
Chief = C *
Lin Xiangru || Xiangru = Xgru. *
Ying Zheng || Zheng = Zhg. *
Huo Qubing || Qubing = Qubg. *
Yang Dayang || Dayang = Dyg. *
Gao Changgong || Changgong = CgGg. *
Qin Liangyu || Liangyu = Lgyu. *
Zheng Chenggong || Chenggong = CG. *
Cui Zhouping || Zhouping = Zhpg. *
Guan Yinping || Yinping = Ypg. *

I'm eager to hear of better solutions or questions on the changes proposed.
I'll wait few days from this post before applying the changes (unless there's a good discussion).
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Cervello » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:05 am

If only KOEI release Sangokushi with mouse over feature showing other languages and perhaps with Language Pack that can be translated by fans. I'm sure they'll sell more copy and save alot of time instead making a new English version of the game like RTK-11.

Maybe someone can produce a mouse over feature...? :wink:

ps: I know nothing of programming so forgive me if it's an absurd idea :mrgreen:
Cervello
Apprentice

Unread postby Lezard » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:04 am

If only KOEI release Sangokushi with mouse over feature showing other languages and perhaps with Language Pack that can be translated by fans. I'm sure they'll sell more copy and save alot of time instead making a new English version of the game like RTK-11.

I can't imagine very well a mouse over feature (how would it be/work), but yes, Koei could have used a Language Pack system, making language something "skinnable" (sorry if sounds strange, but that's the word that comes to mind), the game would consume more space, and get heavier if one downloads more languages, but would also get a lot of extra flexibility. Honestly, Koei coders seem largely incompetent and in general things were hardcoded pretty much as in a console game (it looks like a game from years ago when few broke guys could make a "good" game).

Still, I don't think that opening the doors to fan translation would be a good maneuver as the community outside Asia is small and the game itself unattractive (for nowadays standards). Though they could as said before have made the code more reusable, making any code change unnecessary, by separating text files (Language Packs), even for the few languages available.

It seems asians make the games for internal consumers, leaving the game to be eventually adapted in the future for the west, which increases the costs. With a good project and coding from the beginning, predicting the later exportation, they could make the future translation work much easier and cheaper (c'mon, not to predict an english version is a huge mistake).

Maybe someone can produce a mouse over feature...? :wink:

ps: I know nothing of programming so forgive me if it's an absurd idea :mrgreen:

I'm not a programmer either, but the few ways of doing it that I can think of are impossible as things are.

Anyway, back to earth, I need to fit names in 8 chars, suggestions?
Lezard
Retired Account

Unread postby Xalderin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:23 pm

Question??

Would there be anyone here willing to continue the English patch for ROTK X PUK? Or anyone that is working on it already? I mean, I don't mind the menu and whatever else was translated, it's just that I like reading dialogue and understanding other things that aren't in English. XD Not sure if anyone (or how many others) feel about this, but I would love an English Patch that translates it all. x3 Or most of it, anyway, that way I know what I'm doing 99.9% of the time, and not guessing XD

I would do it myself, but atm I'm still learning Japanese, and from what I've been reading, my field isn't editing files of that sort, but more like working on the tower itself o.o' Soooo, I wouldn't be much use as of yet. ; w;
But, I'm just asking, and wondering... Sorry if I'm like..........4-7 years late. ._."
Xalderin
Tyro

Unread postby Lord_Cao_Cao » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:35 pm

Xalderin wrote:Question??

Would there be anyone here willing to continue the English patch for ROTK X PUK? Or anyone that is working on it already? I mean, I don't mind the menu and whatever else was translated, it's just that I like reading dialogue and understanding other things that aren't in English. XD Not sure if anyone (or how many others) feel about this, but I would love an English Patch that translates it all. x3 Or most of it, anyway, that way I know what I'm doing 99.9% of the time, and not guessing XD

I would do it myself, but atm I'm still learning Japanese, and from what I've been reading, my field isn't editing files of that sort, but more like working on the tower itself o.o' Soooo, I wouldn't be much use as of yet. ; w;
But, I'm just asking, and wondering... Sorry if I'm like..........4-7 years late. ._."

I don't think there is anyone at the moment, but I'd be happy if there was one, since I've recently reinstalled the game. I can't read japanese, so I can't really help either.
Lord_Cao_Cao
Scholar of Shen Zhou

ROTTK X PUK Translation

Unread postby swc132994 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:47 am

There was a member T2_2112 who did manage to translate some of the important dialogue for children and some work tasks.
I think they work on it at a Vietnamese website Gamevn. I PM'ed T2 about the patch but not heard back.
The last translation I have that he posted was dated November 2011.

From what I have seen the hard part is that there are many .MSG files in the MSG folder and you need a special editor to view the content. The editor itself is in Chinese but not difficult to navigate.
swc132994
Apprentice

PreviousNext

Return to Romance of the Three Kingdoms